Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 time button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Togg

Mar 24, 2019
CA
To Tesla engineers:

I want a button to automatically compute my 0-60 time (or 0-x time would be even better).

Works like this:

1) I touch this special screen button while stopped.
2) When I press down the the accelerator petal the timer starts.
3) When the car gets to 60 mph the timer ends, and the screen shows the measurement (possibly with my last 3 measurements).

Thanks

:)

To Tesla engineers:

I want a button to automatically compute my 0-60 time (or 0-x time would be even better).

Works like this:

1) I touch this special screen button while stopped.
2) When I press down the the accelerator petal the timer starts.
3) When the car gets to 60 mph the timer ends, and the screen shows the measurement (possibly with my last 3 measurements).

Thanks

:)

Pretty sure the Stats app for iOS has that, though I’ve never tested it personally.

And then when due to life's variables the car is not hitting the advertised mark people are scheduling service.........
This is a poor idea.

This test can be run with or without the feature I asked for. It just would make doing it easier.

If the car is not performing, then it's not performing and service might be an option.

So your point makes no sense to me.

If the car is not performing, then it's not performing and service might be an option.

So your point makes no sense to me.

99% of the time if a car isn't hitting its advertised acceleration its because conditions aren't providing adequate traction, the battery is low, the battery is cold, the road isn't flat, they're driving into a headwind, the car has heavier aftermarket wheels, or any one of a hundred other variables that have nothing to do with servicing the car. I don't want Tesla to waste time talking to people about this.

Great idea.
The arguments that ignorance is better are ridiculous, but funny.

The arguments are not for ignorance, they are against everyone attempting 0-60 runs. not getting the stated number due to some reason outside of tesla's control, and then everyone scheduling service because they are "not getting what they paid for".

In most ICE cars, it would take some skill to hit the stated numbers (launch control, etc), but in an EV its just mashing the pedal. Since this is not a race car (even the model 3 Performance with track mode, which I have), all this would do is confuse "most" of the people who read about it online and tried it out of curiosity, and cause many many MANY more calls for service for cars that are fine.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: JanG007
Can’t you just use the seat of your pants to know exactly how quick you are accelerating? You don’t need something to spell it out to you. If you accelerate quick, your pants will let you know :D

GB / US translation : pants = underpants

Several thousand people would pay for this. We have over 200 samples of performance runs here .This data used to be as easy as installing one of two or three smartphone apps, pushing the start button (on the app) and doing a performance run where the the car API could talk over the mobile data network to the phone and report performance.

Recently Tesla disabled that API for the Model 3 and I believe, the newer MCU2 cars, so the hard core performance folks now tap into the CANBus. But the cross section of people with the time, money and inclination to take their cars apart, source the parts, tinker with emerging software, sometimes switch or buy a new mobile device and for some models build and sometimes solder the parts yourself for other models is much smaller, say dozens or low hundreds.

For another data point, hundreds of people take their cars to the track. Hundreds more buy accelerometers and post Tesla performance data online.

I agree with thelastdeadmouse as to why it is likely not in Tesla's best interest to not have such an application in the car. Also it exposes the fixed power limits of the batteries and fixed torque settings of the motors: the primary mechanism by which Tesla differentiates performance between its car models and balances warranty liability against performance.

Last edited:
I would bet that the average TM3 owner wouldn't be interested in testing his 0 to 60mph time. On the other hand, he might still find useful that his car can accelerate quickly when needed.

Last weekend, I needed to pull off onto a shoulder of a freeway, when I heard the flapping sound of a loose rim saver. After removing the rim saver I needed to get back onto the freeway, which would have been difficult because of the traffic, but the O-60 acceleration time, whatever it was, got me into the stream of cars in almost no time. So whatever that time was, it was good enough for me.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck