Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 Without Activation of L+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide between buying the 3P and the SP. I am leaning to the 3P simply due to the 40k price difference and I can’t seem to find enough to justify that gap yet. But I’m trying!

For me, one of the most important aspects is 0-60 times.

M3P 3.1s All day long
SP only with Ludicrous + Warp Activated 2.3s

That is a sizable difference and helps my case for buying the S over the 3.

HOWEVER, what is the 0-60 by just stomping on the pedal to the far right in Ludicrous mode, without having to engage the + mode, jump through the hoops, wait the 15 mins, etc.

I can’t find this info anywhere and I think it makes the gap between the “true” two model’s 0-60 times smaller.

Thanks so much!

I have a few months left to decide. My current lease is over April 20. I am going to buy the Tesla outright because they lease HORRIBLY! I don’t like “owning” cars but the Tesla is worth it to me. What an amazing car.

If 0-60 times are that important, I would just get the 3 and save an absolute ton of money. In most cases you're not going to be able to tell a difference. The S has a lot of other things going for it, but if they aren't that important to you, I'd just get the 3.

If 0-60 times are that important, I would just get the 3 and save an absolute ton of money. In most cases you're not going to be able to tell a difference. The S has a lot of other things going for it, but if they aren't that important to you, I'd just get the 3.

I think you mean

(1) If 0-60sec timing is important, get the Model S Performance or if you budget allows and you can wait until Q4, get the Model S Plaid (the level above Model S Performance)
(2) If you're more interested in tracking your Tesla, then a Model 3 Performance using Track Mode is what you want.

There is a lot of speculation that the Model S/X will get a pretty nice refresh in January, so it's tech will be more advance than the Model 3/Y, so I would also recommend you want for that refresh to see what they do. If what everyone is speculating is true (ie, a pretty significant refresh), then it's going to be a very exciting January and that might sway your decision.

It sounded like all the other things that an S had over the 3 were not that important. Even if 0-60 is your most important thing, I say the S is not worth the premium. If you like the S for other reasons, the premium can be better justified.

Looking around, the difference is probably only a tenth or two, tops. This is the "old" P100D for refrence:

I disagree. I can easily tell the difference in acceleration between a P100DL and a M3P. The S has a much more powerful kick.

Though I wasn’t in the exact same dilemma you’re in, I can tell you that what you’ll get with the S is overall better refinement (ride is super smooth and interior is pretty quiet), with arguable better looks, more luggage and people space and you won’t catch yourself pulling up next to the same car at every light ;)

Tesla P acceleration is like a drug.

That means the first time you punch it in L+ you get the best experience, one that will never quite be duplicated again, as Li-Ion batteries degrade with time and use. So you might get a full 600kW with a fully warmed battery at 100% SoC (a number pulled from thin air, I don't know what the current Performance S makes) the first time.

The next time you punch it in L+ at 100% SoC, your battery might only make 599.997 kW. Not noticeable at first as there will be other factors - ambient temps, track surface/prep, etc.

But then after several dozen L+ runs, you're making maybe only 598.292 kW.

Then after a couple years, you're gradually down to about 580 kW. Still a crap-ton of power, but you're starting to think "it used to be better." And you're right.

Then come the voltage nerfs, charging nerfs, etc once your battery pack is 4 to 5 years old.

Eventually you're left with a car which barely makes 0-60 in under 3.0 seconds. The same "drug" doesn't get you as "high" anymore. You have to lay out a lot of cash for a new one that will give you that old feeling again.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Thank you all for the insight. Very interesting take on the battery health depletion over time, and it’s affect on acceleration performance. That was something I never contemplated, but makes perfect sense. Yet another reason why I wish Tesla cars had more favorable lease dynamics.

I had already watched all the videos I could find online with comparisons. Read the articles. The consensus seems to the more bang for the buck with the M3P and better resale value. Better ride and slightly better performance in the MSP, as well as several other benefits.

I tend to agree the styling of the Model S is somewhat nicer looking from behind. However, from the front, and sometimes even the side view when traveling at highway speeds, I have a hard time telling if it is a Model S or a Model 3. To me, the body style change is very subtle between the two.

I am coming from a car that drives very well, very quiet, and very smooth. I feared that I’d be disappointed in the ride of the M3P, so I test drove it. Twice. I found that it drove very well, and my current car is a 2018 Maserati.

I intentionally did not want to drive the Model S, yet. I thought if I did drive it, then I would never want to look back at the M3P, and that 40k price difference would vaporize in my mind. My reasoning was that if, on paper the MSP is superior enough to justify the price difference, then I would test drive it to make a final decision.

I have until April 20, so I think my plan is going to wait to see what the refresh of the MSP happens to be after the plant has reopened. Maybe it will be compellingly better than the current iteration. Maybe it will drive the price down of the current MSP. If that price drops 20k, I’d jump on it and not look back.

So thank you all for this insight and I am going to sit tight, wind my watch, and wait to see what the new S does to making up my mind. It sure as hell is a tough choice, though.