Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0 miles rated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20151129_202254.jpg

20151129_202327.jpg

So yesterday we went 3 miles after it hit 0 rated miles. This got me wondering how far can you drive after you hit 0? Our 3 miles was basically 30mph-40mph the entire time. Anyone else run into this yet? We were expecting it to shut down right at zero considering we have a Leaf and that's when it shuts down.

OP - Did you observe any change in your rated miles at 90% (or 80 or whatever you charge to) upon the subsequent charge completion? There are folks that claim that the zero mile buffer is merely a range calibration fault and that the algo quickly readjusts upon discovering range below zero.

Here's my experience

LOL. I remember your thread on that. It's nice that it went into a sort of "turtle mode" before shutting down so at least you knew it was coming. Some folks report no such indications with the car still showing miles and abruptly shutting down. I would love to the know the technical explanation here.

Last edited:
OP - Did you observe any change in your rated miles at 90% (or 80 or whatever you charge to) upon the subsequent charge completion? There are folks that claim that the zero mile buffer is merely a range calibration fault and that the algo quickly readjusts upon discovering range below zero.

LOL. I remember your thread on that. It's nice that it went into a sort of "turtle mode" before shutting down so at least you knew it was coming. Some folks report no such indications with the car still showing miles and abruptly shutting down. I would love to the know the technical explanation here.

We normally have 241 rated miles at 100% and we fully charged yesterday and it charged to 241 rated miles still. We have Version Version 7 2.7.56. Pre-Autopilot. And We've towed many of things with the leaf around the yard. We haven't towed a car with it yet but have towed very large tree branches. With the tow eye and the rear tow hook on the leaf it would be fairly easy to tow the tesla with the leaf (It would be a way that tesla does not recommend (4 wheels down) but for only a few miles it'd be fine.

Chipper I live life on the edge. My wife is always a little frustrated with me because I like to get to wherever were going with as little juice left as possible. Normally I do start off slow then use up the excess later in the trip. This time I did the opposite which is why I nearly hit shutdown.

So yesterday we went 3 miles after it hit 0 rated miles. This got me wondering how far can you drive after you hit 0? Our 3 miles was basically 30mph-40mph the entire time. Anyone else run into this yet? We were expecting it to shut down right at zero considering we have a Leaf and that's when it shuts down.
You should mainly watch the power limiter.

You were still at 80kW. It shuts down somewhere in the 20kW range.

i read somewhere that the model S used to have reserve miles (?20), but then they increased the typical range by 20 miles and 0 now actually means 0. The reason why you can still drive on for a bit is because the range estimation is just an estimation and might get it wrong. So there is a chance your card might shut down exactly at 0 but equally it could be -5 miles or if really unlucky at 2 miles.

You went 178 miles averaging 361 WhM and ended with 0. I certainly would have been averaging a WHOLE BUNCH LESS in order to preserve mileage and battery!

and with the heat on high :eek: I realize there is a buffer and this certainly probably didn't cause any issues, but you do realize that going very low is really bad for the battery, right? Ever hear the term "bricking"?

I don't fear running the pack to 0% as long as I can plug in immediately. It is leaving the battery at zero that is "really bad".

...and that's exactly what we did. It only sat for maybe 5 mins. It was cold in the car and when we knew we'd make it home we turned the heat back on because keeping a 4 month old child warm is much more important than and damage that could be done to the car.

i read somewhere that the model S used to have reserve miles (?20), but then they increased the typical range by 20 miles and 0 now actually means 0. The reason why you can still drive on for a bit is because the range estimation is just an estimation and might get it wrong. So there is a chance your card might shut down exactly at 0 but equally it could be -5 miles or if really unlucky at 2 miles.
The ability to go beyond 0 rated range most likely is based on a complex algorithm which you could expect is computed to be less miles when it is very cold or very hot or is very hilly. For instance, it might have the most range beyond 0 if you are driving along on a flat road at 40mph during the daytime at 70 degrees F. Anything outside of this 'ideal' would cause the range to be reduced and you could go to stopped very quickly...YMMV

So yesterday we went 3 miles after it hit 0 rated miles. This got me wondering how far can you drive after you hit 0? Our 3 miles was basically 30mph-40mph the entire time. Anyone else run into this yet?
This has been discussed many times over the past 2+ years that I have been on TMC, I suggest searching the site and you will find other, very lengthy, discussions.
How far you can drive after the display shows zero varies based on numerous reports of people actually doing it, from none to over 12. Regardless, it is a risky thing to do. You may get stranded.

...and there have been cases of cars shutting down with some miles left. Tesla's trip planner targets 20% minimum charge and will send you to a supercharger if your destination can't be reached with 20% or more left.