TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

0 to 60 or double the range @30mph?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Moderatefan, May 15, 2018.

1. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

• Informative x 1
  2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

You get either one anytime you want it.

• Like x 3
  3. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Kind of odd that the article makes no mention of the 4300+ foot elevation difference between Denver and Topeka, I imagine that had an impact on this hyper mile run.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. DarthPierce

DarthPierce Member

Also there are generally strong eastward prevailing winds... It would be interesting to see how he does with a headwind uphill instead.

5. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

This is why the car is ideal for gridlock traffic. Autopilot and barely using any juice.

6. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

You mean, do you have fun driving or create a road hazard and traffic jams wherever you go?

• Like x 2
  7. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

You can avoid highways and drive 30mph. I bet that's what that guy did. Usually there's 40mph min on highways.

8. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

That's an extra ~7kWh, assuming he could turn all of that potential energy from gravity into energy in the battery. It's something, but still less than the ~10kWh he had left.

9. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

It's a very easy choice for me.

I want neither of those.

10. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

meh - I ordered my Model 3 so I wouldn't have to creep around everywhere to conserve battery.

11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I love that this car is like Dr Jekyll and Nr Hyde.... And you get to choose at your whim with your right foot.

12. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

Have to weigh the slower journey against using A/C or heat. There any actually good metrics on energy usage for the former?

13. clostridium

clostridium Member

My experience with my S is that A/C has minimal impact on efficiency. And definitely A/C is far better than windows open. Heat is a different story and has a noticeable impact on range.

14. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

Anyone have the metrics for the power draw of the heating elements for forced air and the heated seats? Cursory search didn't turn up much. The manual says the cooling of the pack and the cabin use the same compressor so I would expect A/C to be pretty minimal if the battery is usually be cooled by it. All you're doing is running another fan if it's already engaged.

15. clostridium

clostridium Member

Here's a reference for info on what the various elements of the cold weather package draw in a model S - it's way cheaper electrically to use seat and steering wheel heaters than to use the cabin heater:

Energy Consumption Of Various Tesla Heating Features

If you turn on an app like Remote S while sitting with climate on it will show what the power draw is. I've found that when the cabin heat is working to bring the cabin temp up it draws ~6 kW and the battery heater appears to draw another ~6 kW. That's the worst case scenario.

I don't have as much information on the power draw for the A/C since I am more often preheating rather than pre-cooling but I just tried it now on my car sitting outside and the car is drawing between 1-2 kW to run the A/C to cool the cabin from 88 F down to 70 F.

Tesla used to have a nifty range calculator on their website that I can't find anymore that let you change various variables like temperature, wheel size, etc. and it showed minimal impact of the A/C but significant impact of the heater. Here is the data from my own vehicle - at lower temps you are dealing with denser air and likely more slush on the road plus the energy to heat cabin. At higher temps you are dealing with the less dense air plus cost to run A/C. There's not a lot of data for the 90-100 F group but because of the lack of tint in my car I'm using the A/C on sunny days that are 80 F and above consistently so A/C use is well represented in that 80-90 temp range.

upload_2018-5-18_11-45-35.png