Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0 to 60 time now 2.1 seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's how I can see this playing out. . .
  • Tesla confirm that the specs are reduced and it's now 2.1 seconds.
  • All the billionaires who already have 40 exotic cars, a couple of private jets and a yacht cancel their orders in protest and buy Pininfarina Battistas instead.
  • In response to the outcry, Tesla cuts the base price in half.
I mean, I can dream. . . right?

• Funny
Reactions: chr147 and CarlK
Are you sure you aren't just trying to suck me back in? Those 2 tenths mean the world to me!

Not going to help you to save 200 grand. ;)

Here is Elon's tweet that started this. He was replying a CleanTechnica article which compared 0-100km/h numbers of Roadster and Ferrari's PHEV supercar. Can't imagine he would make such an important change so casually and without an explanation.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Electrek took that out of context and started the "downgrade" rumor without any verifications and supporting evidences including spec on the Tesla website that still says 1.9 sec 0-60.

Tesla’s new Roadster 0-60 mph acceleration gets downgraded to 2.1 secs ‘without rocket thrusters’ - Electrek

So here's how I can see this playing out. . .
  • Tesla confirm that the specs are reduced and it's now 2.1 seconds.
  • All the billionaires who already have 40 exotic cars, a couple of private jets and a yacht cancel their orders in protest and buy Pininfarina Battistas instead.
  • In response to the outcry, Tesla cuts the base price in half.
I mean, I can dream. . . right?

A true sports car with MS ludicrous acceleration and price would actually be the ideal car for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pinot.Noir
I'm honestly quite miffed. When I've put my deposit down on each new Tesla, my mantra to the haters and doubters has always been the same: "Elon may miss his release date but doesn't miss his performance numbers & usually beats them with up-sell! I now have egg on my face! :mad:

I'm honestly quite miffed. When I've put my deposit down on each new Tesla, my mantra to the haters and doubters has always been the same: "Elon may miss his release date but doesn't miss his performance numbers & usually beats them with up-sell! I now have egg on my face! :mad:

To be explicitly clear in case of any confusion: Electrek got this completely wrong. There is no performance downgrade on the next-gen Roadster.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
@CarlK so indeed it was an accident and the difference between 100 kmph (62-ish mph) instead of 60 mph? Where did Elon correct the record? I'm confused (but to be fair, that's a constant state of affairs) o_O

It's pretty obvious if you bother to read that original CleanTechnica article Elon replied to. In twitter replies most people got it already. Even Fred has raised the question although he just published the article anyway without getting an answer or verification elsewhere. Really a sad case of journalism (although I should not use the word to describe that site). BTW Elon no longer reply Fred's tweets if you have not noticed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
If the explanation you are providing is correct, that the 2.1 number is for 0-100 Km/h and the 0-60 mph number is still 1.9, that means that the 60mph - 100 Km/h (roughly 60-62mph) time is 0.2s.

That doesn't pass the sniff test. Something is still wrong here.

Reactions: cizUK and DrTaras