TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

0 to 60 time now 2.1 seconds

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by Pinot.Noir, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

I see a couple of news stories stating that Tesla is now advising 0 to 60 time of 2.1 seconds.

That's it, I'm out!

• Funny x 1
  2. Haxster

Haxster Member

Sad news.
    Guess I'll hang on to my Yugo.

3. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

That was a mis-quote from Elon's tweet. He was repeating 0-100 km/h number mention in a CleanTechnica article but somehow mixed mph and km/h.

• Informative x 1
  4. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Are you sure you aren't just trying to suck me back in? Those 2 tenths mean the world to me!

5. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

So here's how I can see this playing out. . .
    • Tesla confirm that the specs are reduced and it's now 2.1 seconds.
    • All the billionaires who already have 40 exotic cars, a couple of private jets and a yacht cancel their orders in protest and buy Pininfarina Battistas instead.
    • In response to the outcry, Tesla cuts the base price in half.
    I mean, I can dream. . . right?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

#6 CarlK, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Not going to help you to save 200 grand. ;)

Here is Elon's tweet that started this. He was replying a CleanTechnica article which compared 0-100km/h numbers of Roadster and Ferrari's PHEV supercar. Can't imagine he would make such an important change so casually and without an explanation.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Electrek took that out of context and started the "downgrade" rumor without any verifications and supporting evidences including spec on the Tesla website that still says 1.9 sec 0-60.

Tesla’s new Roadster 0-60 mph acceleration gets downgraded to 2.1 secs ‘without rocket thrusters’ - Electrek

A true sports car with MS ludicrous acceleration and price would actually be the ideal car for me.

• Informative x 1
  7. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Thanks CarlK. I was ready to just order 6 cases of DRC, but you brought me back!

8. DrTaras

DrTaras R254->R725->S->X->M3-->R2020?

I'm honestly quite miffed. When I've put my deposit down on each new Tesla, my mantra to the haters and doubters has always been the same: "Elon may miss his release date but doesn't miss his performance numbers & usually beats them with up-sell! I now have egg on my face! :mad:

9. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

To be explicitly clear in case of any confusion: Electrek got this completely wrong. There is no performance downgrade on the next-gen Roadster.

• Informative x 1
  10. DrTaras

So you're saying this is not true?
    Tesla’s new Roadster 0-60 mph acceleration gets downgraded to 2.1 secs ‘without rocket thrusters’ - Electrek

11. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

No it's not true. See explanation in my post #6. What had been downgraded was Electrek that has becoming nothing but a clickbait internet joke.

• Like x 4
  12. DrTaras

@CarlK so indeed it was an accident and the difference between 100 kmph (62-ish mph) instead of 60 mph? Where did Elon correct the record? I'm confused (but to be fair, that's a constant state of affairs) o_O

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Electrek has really gone downhill. When I see a title of an article or the content regarding Tesla, I first look if it's from Electrek. If it is, I assume it's at best misleading. Power and free Roadsters apparently corrupts quickly.

• Like x 4
  14. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

#14 CarlK, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    It's pretty obvious if you bother to read that original CleanTechnica article Elon replied to. In twitter replies most people got it already. Even Fred has raised the question although he just published the article anyway without getting an answer or verification elsewhere. Really a sad case of journalism (although I should not use the word to describe that site). BTW Elon no longer reply Fred's tweets if you have not noticed it.

• Like x 1
  15. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

16. DrTaras

Thank you @tonybelding #NameFromThePast ;)

17. MaxPowers

MaxPowers Member

Thanks for point that out. It got pretty confusing.

18. DrTaras

Kinda condescending o_O

19. CarlK

CarlK Active Member

Wasn't the intention but it sure could look that way. Just trying to get the point cross.

• Like x 1
  20. bolosky

bolosky Member

If the explanation you are providing is correct, that the 2.1 number is for 0-100 Km/h and the 0-60 mph number is still 1.9, that means that the 60mph - 100 Km/h (roughly 60-62mph) time is 0.2s.

That doesn't pass the sniff test. Something is still wrong here.

• Like x 2