Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0 to 60 uncork

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I did a brief analysis on my Model S 75D corked and uncorked 0-60 mph raw data times and discovered these two things.

The max power is bumped up a bit:
  • Corked Max Power: ~275 kW
  • Uncorked Max Power: ~337 kW
The max rate of change of power (acceleration in terms of kW/s) is bumped up a bit and is more consistent:

Corked vs Uncorked

sRjf3Wb.png
D2K70Ln.png

* NOT A PLUG *
The app shown doing the analysis is my own, Dashboard for Tesla. I just added this rate of change of power axis and noticed the difference for myself and wanted to share the findings.
Also, it appears there is a consistent method of determining if your 60/75[D] S/X vehicle is eligible for uncorking using the APIs. I've added this detection into the app if you can't/don't care to check it yourself.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
It’s done

It says, “vehicle configuration and firmware updated for 100D performance”

Tesla’s executive escalation team confirmed it was eligible prior to making the appointment.

Also confirmed by text above in post #287

I just want to say this. All I did was ask nicely. I simply said I was wondering if mine qualified. I was disappointed my 100D was less quick than the 75Ds of similar age and if it could be done I’d greatly appreciate it. I got a phone call from a very nice gentleman from Fremont who confirmed it could be done. Then the manager of the service center called me and said he too confirmed it could be done. Exceptionally nice people, phenomenal service. Nothing short of 5 star! Hats off to Tesla I sincerely appreciate their excellent service.

@P100DHG What performance confit/settings (via API/TeslaFi) did your 100D have before you were able to get this done?

And how did you initially contact Tesla to start this process?

Same situation as DHG and same result from Krash (who is awesome for doing this by the way - MASSIVE KUDOS for the efforts on behalf of all 75D and 100D owners!). And props to DHG who was the one who uncovered the 100D capability for uncorking!

I’m going back into the SC on Wednesday to see if they can figure it out. The kw and overall hp seem right (above 400 and 600 respectively), but the 0-60 speed isn’t any faster. Maybe the equivalent of what some 75D members above reported where the Performance is at “P1” but Perf Add In is still in “Uncorked” state? It would be weird because my X was in P1 state before uncorking, as I think most 100Ds are.

More to come but thanks for the great members on this forum for helping so many of us! What a great community.
I have a an X 100D and it doesn’t have a P1 state (or any P state tbh).

@P100DHG What performance confit/settings (via API/TeslaFi) did your 100D have before you were able to get this done?

And how did you initially contact Tesla to start this process?
I contacted Tesla through the My Tesla login page on their website. I selected contact executive team from the drop down in the messages section. This was very early on and I wanted to get an accurate answer. No 100D has been uncorked at the time so I felt it best to go as high up as I could. I couldn’t tell you what my preconfigured setting was because none of that information was available at the time for the 100D. I used the logs I sent to @Krash and the paperwork from the Service center to confirm it had been performed that was good enough for me.

I find the 100kmh to 150kmh acceleration quite weak in my stock X60D. Does uncorking make a big difference with highway acceleration?

I find 0-100kmh acceleration quite acceptable in my car already, even before uncorking.

For my S, there is a difference until 80mph but it's way more pronounced under 60mph. Highway passing power is slightly improved.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
Sorry. Could you speak plain English please?
There is a torque setting which limits your car's initial acceleration. That setting is similar for all the non performance cars. You can measure it in g-force if you like. From a standstill, your car has constant acceleration (in kW/s) because of this torque setting from zero until the max power setting is reached. But Max Power is set differently for the 75 and 100 as well as for the performance cars, so compared to the 75, the 100 power continues to increase for another fraction of a second and remains higher. If you let off the throttle and stomp on the gas again power (in kW) only goes back up as high as the max power setting, so limit number one for high speed acceleration is this max power. You can lookup the Max Power value for various models here.

Max Power is set at a different levels to differentiate the different car model's high speed performance. But is also has another interesting benefit to Tesla: it helps hide Back EMF.

Back EMF is an unfortunate property of all electrical motors that inhibits power at high rotational speeds. To get around it engineers either have to 1) build a bigger motor, which Tesla does in the performance models, or 2) gear the motor lower so the motor doesn't spin as fast, which Tesla does a little with the front D motor, but otherwise won't because it sacrifices the motor's amazing low end performance, or 3) increase the voltage and current.

Unfortunately for performance, most 75Ds are built for initial cost savings and longevity. Lower voltage and lower current mean more pronounced Back EMF.

You can see some pictures of this in the Physics thread here.

Last edited:
There is a torque setting which limits your car's initial acceleration. That setting is similar for all the non performance cars. You can measure it in g-force if you like. From a standstill, your car has constant acceleration (in kW/s) because of this torque setting from zero until the max power setting is reached. But Max Power is set differently for the 75 and 100 as well as for the performance cars, so compared to the 75, the 100 power continues to increase for another fraction of a second and remains higher. If you let off the throttle and stomp on the gas again power (in kW) only goes back up as high as the max power setting, so limit number one for high speed acceleration is this max power. You can lookup the Max Power value for various models here.

Max Power is set at a different levels to differentiate the different car model's high speed performance. But is also has another interesting benefit to Tesla: it helps hide Back EMF.

Back EMF is an unfortunate property of all electrical motors that inhibits power at high rotational speeds. To get around it engineers either have to 1) build a bigger motor, which Tesla does in the performance models, or 2) gear the motor lower so the motor doesn't spin as fast, which Tesla does a little with the front D motor, but otherwise won't because it sacrifices the motor's amazing low end performance, or 3) increase the voltage and current.

Unfortunately for performance, most 75Ds are built for initial cost savings and longevity. Lower voltage and lower current mean more pronounced Back EMF.

You can see some pictures of this in the Physics thread here.

Holy. You sound like a scientist that works for Tesla! So what you're saying is that the 75D is geared toward low end torque while sacrificing higher end acceleration to make the motor last longer.

And uncorking does or does not help with high speed acceleration?

Holy. You sound like a scientist that works for Tesla! So what you're saying is that the 75D is geared toward low end torque while sacrificing higher end acceleration to make the motor last longer.

And uncorking does or does not help with high speed acceleration?
Great to be appreciated. I am afraid I look pretty dumb to the physicists here.

Not just the 75D, all the current cars are geared that way. Saleen's version was even worse. But on something like the new roadster you probably solve this by gearing it down and adding a second motor.

Uncorking lifted the torque setting for the 75s near the 100 level. But it also increased the 75s Max Power a lot and the 100s a little. All this helped the low end which everyone notices. There is more headroom there. But I think the term "uncork" was meant for the the battery amperage increase which postpones Back EMF and gives the car more high speed "passing" power.

Last edited: