Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0 to 60 uncork

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an uncorked 100D Model S from the factory after owning an 85D for 2 years. I have ~20k miles on it since mid September, so I have some insight. The passing power in the uncorked 100D is significantly greater than the 85D/90D. The launch actually seems less intense (probably a similar maximum torque value from zero) but very quickly ramps up to max power and keeps pulling past 65 compared to the noticeable drop off in acceleration that would occur in 85D/90D's around 45mph. This acceleration profile is similar to uncorked 75D's (actually a little less because of lower pack voltage & amperage), so an uncorked 100D has much more top end pull and midrange responsiveness, but the uncorking is not nearly as pronounced as the 75D uncorking acceleration improvement. For me the biggest improvement was passing power
So what exactly does “uncorking” a X100D do? Sounds like not much. And is there any reason not to uncork a X100D?

Reactions: scottf200
An update to anyone buying a used 2016/2017 and wants to make sure Tesla will provide you, they will but you need to be persistent!!

My story
05/11/2020:
I am currently purchasing a Tesla Model X 75D, 2016 used. When I purchased last week on the Tesla website, it shows 4.9 second 0-60.
Doing the research, I believe this number is wrong and misleading.
Why I say this. Back when Tesla Model X's were released, a 75D was shown as 6.0~ second 0-60. In June of 2017 Tesla made an announcement that all 75D Model X's can now be uncorked to make it 4.9 second 0-60, but needs to be in a SC and cannot be over the air.
Article: Tesla is unlocking extra power in older Model S and X 75D vehicles - cutting a second off 0-60 mph acceleration - Electrek

Multiple people confirming they upgraded their 2016 Model X 75D's: Model X 75D - Uncorked | Tesla

Currently waiting for delivery and I spoke to the SC and they said that only certain 75D's can be uncorked (mostly 2018 and later they said). I told them to read their own announcement from June 2017 I mentioned above and they are now investigating it further.

If you go to Tesla Used Cars official website, you will see that all 2016 Model X 75D's show 4.9 0-60.
05/13/2020:
Alright folks, after a lot of back and forth pushing, and myself staying committed to telling them it is possible as 20+ others on the form have been in a similar situation, Tesla called me back and now say it is possible. They said they had to reach past the SC to an engineering level, and because there is something labeled wrong, they thought they could not do it, but they can. They will uncork on delivery.​

An update to anyone buying a used 2016/2017 and wants to make sure Tesla will provide you, they will but you need to be persistent!!

My story
05/11/2020:
I am currently purchasing a Tesla Model X 75D, 2016 used. When I purchased last week on the Tesla website, it shows 4.9 second 0-60.​
Doing the research, I believe this number is wrong and misleading.​
Why I say this. Back when Tesla Model X's were released, a 75D was shown as 6.0~ second 0-60. In June of 2017 Tesla made an announcement that all 75D Model X's can now be uncorked to make it 4.9 second 0-60, but needs to be in a SC and cannot be over the air.​
Multiple people confirming they upgraded their 2016 Model X 75D's: Model X 75D - Uncorked | Tesla
Currently waiting for delivery and I spoke to the SC and they said that only certain 75D's can be uncorked (mostly 2018 and later they said). I told them to read their own announcement from June 2017 I mentioned above and they are now investigating it further.​
If you go to Tesla Used Cars official website, you will see that all 2016 Model X 75D's show 4.9 0-60.​
05/13/2020:
Alright folks, after a lot of back and forth pushing, and myself staying committed to telling them it is possible as 20+ others on the form have been in a similar situation, Tesla called me back and now say it is possible. They said they had to reach past the SC to an engineering level, and because there is something labeled wrong, they thought they could not do it, but they can. They will uncork on delivery.​
Hello

I have a UK Model X 75D (VIN 056XXX) June 2017 build (upgraded to MCU2 from Tesla in December 2020). Tesla says my car is not eligible for this uncorking as the battery pack does not support it.

I came across this thread on Reddit where Ingineerix mentions that as long as pack part# is
1088794-00-A
1102979-00-A
1101082-00-A
1106362-00-A
1119235-00-A

it's uncorkable. Seeing this, I check at the bottom of the car and found my pack# to be 1088794-00-A. Does this mean Tesla is lying to me? I wish I could get hold of Ingineerix to confirm this for me. Anyone who had their uncorked confirm that their pack# matches the ones mentioned by Ingineerix?

Thanks

Ingineerix knows their stuff. I think the bigger issue is MCU2. I think uncorking is MCU1 specific.
If I had a way of knowing for sure that upgrading to MCU2 would enable my 9/16 75D (153xxx) to be uncorked, I’d drop that cash in a second.

After 3 failed attempts a year ago, I gave up (even though the SC said it should’ve qualified based on my VIN). I was later told by a ranger that it couldn’t be uncorked because of my battery shunt.

Still love the car but wish I could crack the code on this.

…I was later told by a ranger that it couldn’t be uncorked because of my battery shunt.

Bummer your car had an old shunt. Have you tried to pay to have just the shunt replaced? I’d try the service center obviously, but I would also ask Jason Hughes if his shop does that upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amstel44
If I had a way of knowing for sure that upgrading to MCU2 would enable my 9/16 75D (153xxx) to be uncorked, I’d drop that cash in a second.

After 3 failed attempts a year ago, I gave up (even though the SC said it should’ve qualified based on my VIN). I was later told by a ranger that it couldn’t be uncorked because of my battery shunt.

is there any chance you can check your battery pack number and tell me which one you have?

“Your Tesla battery pack information is found on a sticker affixed to the front right side of the battery pack that can be seen when looking under your car from just behind the front right (passenger side) wheel.”

F8DF4EA9-F56A-4C4A-982B-79D926DB60BB.jpeg

A bit of an update. I had my service appointment at Tesla SC and the unlocking and uncorking was performed! They did say that it doesn't take 24 hours as before given there are many who are doing it so expect it to take 3-4 days OTA. Not sure when both of them will be done but I'll try to measure it although given what some have said, it seems difficult as you need to have the right level of charge, battery, weather, etc.