Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,000 Order Fee added to my update Plaid + Order

changenow

Feb 10, 2021
IL
I order Model S Plaid (now the Plaid +) back on 09/22/2020 when it was first announced. Choose the default white exterior/black interior online to locking my reservation. I made the $1,000 refundable deposit. Called next morning to confirm that I could change colors without losing my place in line and was told there would be no problem. I called last week to change to red exterior and cream interior, which have gone up in price during that period. Was bummed about that. I also has to call back last week and today as the change didn't show up in my account. I was told they entered the change in the system wrong. This will be my fourth Tesla so I am use to some of this. But what really upsets me is they added a $1,000 order fee that was not on my original order agreement. Does anybody know about this $1,000 fee, which is not my deposit. The tesla guy I spoke with had know idea what it was for and thought it was a mistake. Then he left me a message saying the $1,000 order fee was like the $100 order fee added to "other vehicles and trims." This makes no sense to me and feel dispective.

Attachments

• orderagreement_original.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 33
  • orderagreement_updated.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 31

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
Estonia
I believe they have simply clarified the statement to show that Order fee is not a prepayment, it is a fee in addition to the other purchase costs.

Ohmster

Lunatic @ Large
Sep 6, 2017
SoCal
I believe they have simply clarified the statement to show that Order fee is not a prepayment, it is a fee in addition to the other purchase costs.

Yes, but I believe the question is why? What is the charge for? It wasn't there prior in the original configuration. And his requested changes were put in at list. I don't get it either.

1965Cobra427

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2020
Wally World
if you take the new total price of $146,690 and subtract the old total price of $141,190, you get $5,500
Then subtract the two added options $5,500 - ($2,500+$2,000) you get $1,000.

That makes a total of $1,000 increase from the original price to the new revised price - I wish I had gotten such a good deal
Even with the $2,000 early order credit, my increase was $8,000.

changenow

Feb 10, 2021
IL
After calling my local dealership several times and getting no clear explanation I tried calling the Chicago dealership. The person was familiar with the $1,000 order charge issue. He said it was a computer glitch that changed the initial $1,000 refundable deposit to a $1,000 order fee. He assured me it will be changed before delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY

BobRae99

Dec 29, 2018
Canada
You think that is bad? A Model S Long Range AWD on the US site is $79,000 (without options). At the current exchange rate, that converts to $101,200CAD. But, the car is on the Canadian website for $114,990CAD, so about a $14,000CAD difference ($11,000USD). There is just no way I'm paying more for the same car. I'll get a Taycan first and run out of juice.

MadMax082

Feb 25, 2021
Phoenix AZ
You think that is bad? A Model S Long Range AWD on the US site is $79,000 (without options). At the current exchange rate, that converts to $101,200CAD. But, the car is on the Canadian website for $114,990CAD, so about a $14,000CAD difference ($11,000USD). There is just no way I'm paying more for the same car. I'll get a Taycan first and run out of juice.
I think (I could be wrong) that's because of the tariffs. If Canada had a Tesla plant, you would have the same prices. That's why Tesla is building a new plant in Germany so our European friends can buy it roughly for the same price as US.

Reactions: DukeofURL

Suffolkphil

Jul 6, 2019
Woodbridge, Suffolk
I think (I could be wrong) that's because of the tariffs. If Canada had a Tesla plant, you would have the same prices. That's why Tesla is building a new plant in Germany so our European friends can buy it roughly for the same price as US.
No way we Brits will pay the same price. We pay $1/£1. My AWD LR was £49,900 in mid-2019.

But they have to ship the bits to Rotterdam, assemble the car and get it to the dealership, pay duty, so not surprising.

for the cost of a mid-range Mercedes, it is still fantastic value and the best.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC