Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,000 Order Fee added to my update Plaid + Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I order Model S Plaid (now the Plaid +) back on 09/22/2020 when it was first announced. Choose the default white exterior/black interior online to locking my reservation. I made the $1,000 refundable deposit. Called next morning to confirm that I could change colors without losing my place in line and was told there would be no problem. I called last week to change to red exterior and cream interior, which have gone up in price during that period. Was bummed about that. I also has to call back last week and today as the change didn't show up in my account. I was told they entered the change in the system wrong. This will be my fourth Tesla so I am use to some of this. But what really upsets me is they added a $1,000 order fee that was not on my original order agreement. Does anybody know about this $1,000 fee, which is not my deposit. The tesla guy I spoke with had know idea what it was for and thought it was a mistake. Then he left me a message saying the $1,000 order fee was like the $100 order fee added to "other vehicles and trims." This makes no sense to me and feel dispective.

Attachments

• orderagreement_original.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 142
  • orderagreement_updated.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
if you take the new total price of $146,690 and subtract the old total price of $141,190, you get $5,500
Then subtract the two added options $5,500 - ($2,500+$2,000) you get $1,000.

That makes a total of $1,000 increase from the original price to the new revised price - I wish I had gotten such a good deal
Even with the $2,000 early order credit, my increase was $8,000.

• Funny
After calling my local dealership several times and getting no clear explanation I tried calling the Chicago dealership. The person was familiar with the $1,000 order charge issue. He said it was a computer glitch that changed the initial $1,000 refundable deposit to a $1,000 order fee. He assured me it will be changed before delivery.

You think that is bad? A Model S Long Range AWD on the US site is $79,000 (without options). At the current exchange rate, that converts to $101,200CAD. But, the car is on the Canadian website for $114,990CAD, so about a $14,000CAD difference ($11,000USD). There is just no way I'm paying more for the same car. I'll get a Taycan first and run out of juice.

You think that is bad? A Model S Long Range AWD on the US site is $79,000 (without options). At the current exchange rate, that converts to $101,200CAD. But, the car is on the Canadian website for $114,990CAD, so about a $14,000CAD difference ($11,000USD). There is just no way I'm paying more for the same car. I'll get a Taycan first and run out of juice.
I think (I could be wrong) that's because of the tariffs. If Canada had a Tesla plant, you would have the same prices. That's why Tesla is building a new plant in Germany so our European friends can buy it roughly for the same price as US.

I think (I could be wrong) that's because of the tariffs. If Canada had a Tesla plant, you would have the same prices. That's why Tesla is building a new plant in Germany so our European friends can buy it roughly for the same price as US.
No way we Brits will pay the same price. We pay $1/£1. My AWD LR was £49,900 in mid-2019.

But they have to ship the bits to Rotterdam, assemble the car and get it to the dealership, pay duty, so not surprising.

for the cost of a mid-range Mercedes, it is still fantastic value and the best.

After calling my local dealership several times and getting no clear explanation I tried calling the Chicago dealership. The person was familiar with the $1,000 order charge issue. He said it was a computer glitch that changed the initial $1,000 refundable deposit to a $1,000 order fee. He assured me it will be changed before delivery.
Not true. I verified yesterday that this is a tacked on fee in addition to the price of the car.

It’s the reservation amount being subtracted as a negative (two minuses make a positive).

When you get your VIN and an actual invoice, that’s where everything should be correct for FSD discounts and deposit. If it’s not, that’s where you’d need to change it 😊

• Funny