Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,000 to powdercoat a set of wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks - I stuck with the 19" Gemini wheels assuming I would just lose the covers, get the wheels powder coated gunmetal or black, and use these for winters and plus size to either 20" or 21" for a summer setup. After a few quotes from reputable wheel repair places in Seattle, $200-$250 per wheel seems to be the going rate for powder coating depending on whether remount/rebalance is included or not. I'm not cheap, but I can't justify spending a grand to powdercoat wheels that are maybe worth a grand. I'd rather sell these and get aftermarket 20s or 21s and be done with it.

Two questions for this group:

1/ Is that really the going rate for powder coating wheels or should I keep checking?
2/ Is there a market for essentially perfect and almost new (~500 miles) Gemini's with OEM tires?

Thanks!
Jim

Looks about right. $150-250 a wheel.
In my area very good shop would do all 4 for $800.
Actually a lot of work goes into it if done properly.
Unmount tires, strip all the paint, powder coat, remount tires, rebalance wheels.

You can sell Gemini for $1000-1800 here on forum, or other sites with tires, TPMS.
You can strip Gemini and sell discs only but I am not sure how much you will get that way, you can mount these Tires and TPMS on new aftermarket wheels if you go 19" again. People may buy it from you to mount winter tires.
You can also buy 20" or 21" here on forum. 21" Uberturbines can be bought between $2000-3000k with tires and TPMS.
You may also find a person who will be willing to trade Unerturbines for 19" Gemini.

And there are plenty of choices for Aftermarket. Note TPMS may be included and may be not. TPMS alone are $300 from Tesla.

As a cheap alternative you can plasty dip your wheels yourself. just couple cans of spray.

Reactions: JimmySure
I've Been looking at this too expecting my MYLR in early october.... RPM Tesla Charges $675 for your choice of Glossy, satin or flat black ... There's also a local (OC, California) listing for a "rim swap out" for $500 on craigslist, but i don't know how i feel about that yet... I think i'd rather keep the set that came with the car. 19" Tesla Model Y Factory Wheels Rims Satin Black New Exchange Only...

Hey folks - I stuck with the 19" Gemini wheels assuming I would just lose the covers, get the wheels powder coated gunmetal or black, and use these for winters and plus size to either 20" or 21" for a summer setup. After a few quotes from reputable wheel repair places in Seattle, $200-$250 per wheel seems to be the going rate for powder coating depending on whether remount/rebalance is included or not. I'm not cheap, but I can't justify spending a grand to powdercoat wheels that are maybe worth a grand. I'd rather sell these and get aftermarket 20s or 21s and be done with it.

Two questions for this group:

1/ Is that really the going rate for powder coating wheels or should I keep checking?
2/ Is there a market for essentially perfect and almost new (~500 miles) Gemini's with OEM tires?

Thanks!
Jim
I got my 19”wheels powder coated at Seattle Powder Coat down on Leary for less than $500. They even fixed some minor curb rash in the process. They look great.

Attachments

• DDB73E9B-7319-443F-AD5F-AFD79D2CAFBD.jpeg
    DDB73E9B-7319-443F-AD5F-AFD79D2CAFBD.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 556
Did anyone consider aftermarket wheels like Martians ($549) or Replika 241s ($1000) instead of powder coating the Geminis?

I actually like the Geminis a lot in black but can't seem to justify paying ~$800 to powdercoat them vs. buying new wheels and selling the originals for ~$800 (I see them for $200/wheel on ebay). It would be cheaper overall and you'd get a lighter wheel which would likely improve range and handling. I usually like the OEM look best but if I'm already going to modify them then I wonder if I should just go aftermarket.

I guess the way to test it out would be to plastidip the wheels black and see how strongly I feel about either getting them powdercoated or replacing them.

Did anyone consider aftermarket wheels like Martians ($549) or Replika 241s ($1000) instead of powder coating the Geminis?

I actually like the Geminis a lot in black but can't seem to justify paying ~$800 to powdercoat them vs. buying new wheels and selling the originals for ~$800 (I see them for $200/wheel on ebay). It would be cheaper overall and you'd get a lighter wheel which would likely improve range and handling. I usually like the OEM look best but if I'm already going to modify them then I wonder if I should just go aftermarket.

I guess the way to test it out would be to plastidip the wheels black and see how strongly I feel about either getting them powdercoated or replacing them.
I'm considering 18" Martians for the ride quality. My test plan is to drive the car for a month or so on stock Gemini and then drive for a month with no hubcaps. By then I should have a better idea on ride quality and if I still want black rims or not. Somehow the black rims (at least in pictures) seem to fill the wheel well out better. If I don't like the ride quality, I'll get 18" Martians.

💯 in the same boat. For $500ish, I get the Geminis coated. But $1K when that’s what they’re worth? Tough pill. I did call a few more places in Seattle and found a reputable place for $500, but I would need to drop off bare wheels and their turnaround is 2 weeks 😳