Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,000 to powdercoat a set of wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
💯 in the same boat. For $500ish, I get the Geminis coated. But $1K when that’s what they’re worth? Tough pill. I did call a few more places in Seattle and found a reputable place for $500, but I would need to drop off bare wheels and their turnaround is 2 weeks 😳
It may be too late but Les Schwab does them in the SEA area as well. They charged me ~$640 tax included for dismount, blast, powdercoat, remount, balance, redo TPMS and will take off the 21" ubers for me when I get the car and put the Gemini's on. Found some older forum (non-Tesla motors club) posts and it seems like they do a decent job. Half that cost was the actual blasting and coating process itself, the other half is dismount/remount/balance. They'll also store the tires and TPMS locally in the interim, apparently they send them somewhere down south near Portland to do the actual work.

This ended up being roughly the same price overall that I was getting from blasting/powdercoating shops up north (Everett/Marysville/Arlington) but with way less hassle since they wanted bare wheels only, requiring a stop to a place like Schwab or Discount Tire anyhow. They don't have nearly as many color options, a dark gunmetal would have been my first choice but I can live with black.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
This is a little off-topic, but I was in the same boat, had looked at powder coating, and had even looked at the Plasti Coat spray can kits from Amazon. I really like my Gemini wheels, but want black since I have the chrome-delete look on my red MYLR. In the end, I ordered a set of rimetrix.com hub caps. Mine haven't arrived yet, but there are a couple of rimetrix threads with photos.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Reactions: Corndart
This is a little off-topic, but I was in the same boat, had looked at powder coating, and had even looked at the Plasti Coat spray can kits from Amazon. I really like my Gemini wheels, but want black since I have the chrome-delete look on my red MYLR. In the end, I ordered a set of rimetrix.com hub caps. Mine haven't arrived yet, but there are a couple of rimetrix threads with photos.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
Looked at those as well, I think they look fine on the red / chrome delete but wasn't quite my taste.

I ended up getting the wheels powder coated at Seattle Powder Coat in Ballard and am using Discount for tire removal/remount/balance. I'll be a bit over $700 when all is said and done after tax. I would say anything under $800 is worth it if you can do a simple drop off and pick up. I just picked up the wheels tonight and they look great. Will post up pics when all done and mounted.

Finished product (winter setup with Vredestein Wintrac Pros).

CABE3D6C-1CFE-4215-BF60-F879CB09BDEF.jpeg

Can I get the contact information?
Make sure that includes bead blasting and not just the powdercoating fee. One of the shops I looked into these were separate fees, also did not include dismounting and remounting the TPMS and tires, and re-balancing, so make sure you're getting a true "out the door total" for all facets.

After doing the math, at least in my case, it was less expensive letting Les Schwab do it, and they will also pull the 21" Uberturbines and mount the powdercoated Gemini's.

Reactions: JimmySure
For MYLR owners, that isn't the worst idea IMO.

For MYP, there is no "downgrade" option, and where by JimmySure and myself are located, the summer tires 21" Uberturbines are not really suitable for year round driving.
Hard to disagree as this would be the easier route, especially if you don’t need true winter tires.

Getting to this point with used Ubers for a good price, powder coat Gemini’s, buy/mount winters, sell all-seasons, etc. was some work and a bit pricey ($2,800 total), but I do like having 2 full sets vs. swapping tires 2x per year as we have a cabin in the Cascades and need real winters.

Not the best picture (and there is some filmy stuff around the center hub that needs to be cleaned up) but wheels came back today. I think they look nice , now I just need the car to put them on. $608 with tax, they'll swap them onto the Tesla when I get it.

Little bit of a bummer that the latest MYP's are coming with Michelin all seasons, not sure that I need the Gemini's anymore and need to decide what to do with them.

20211215_194822985_iOS.jpg

Not the best picture (and there is some filmy stuff around the center hub that needs to be cleaned up) but wheels came back today. I think they look nice , now I just need the car to put them on. $608 with tax, they'll swap them onto the Tesla when I get it.

Little bit of a bummer that the latest MYP's are coming with Michelin all seasons, not sure that I need the Gemini's anymore and need to decide what to do with them.

View attachment 744730
Is that Gloss or Satin?

View attachment 744730
You’ll be able to get your money back if you do decide to sell 👍

As another option, that is less of a hit to the wallet, I decided to go with EV Wraps to change up the look of the standard silver hubcaps. I didn't want to powder coat the Geminis but at the same time was looking for a bit more aggressive look. I'm not sure it's for everyone, and it's very labor intensive, but I'm really liking the end result. All in, it took 3 to 4 hours to wrap the hubcaps and another 3 to 4 hours to plastidip the outer edge of the Geminis as to not leave the silver ring around the hubcap (I wanted it to blend more and can't stand the silver ring, see image 1). Would I rather spend more on bigger wheels and tires, to close the fender gap, or put on coilovers to do so, yes. However, I did that with my old Model 3 and that led to many suspension issues. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll splurge for new wheels and tires but for now the wrap will suffice. Cheers.

MY (1).jpeg

MY (2).jpeg

MY (3).jpeg

MY (4).jpeg

Last edited:
As another option, that is less of a hit to the wallet, I decided to go with EV Wraps to change up the look of the standard silver hubcaps. I didn't want to powder coat the Geminis but at the same time was looking for a bit more aggressive look. I'm not sure it's for everyone, and it's very labor intensive, but I'm really liking the end result. All in, it took 3 to 4 hours to wrap the hubcaps and another 3 to 4 hours to plastidip the outer edge of the Geminis as to not leave the silver ring around the hubcap (I wanted it to blend more and can't stand the silver ring, see image 1). Would I rather spend more on bigger wheels and tires, to close the fender gap, or put on coilovers to do so, yes. However, I did that with my old Model 3 and that led to many suspension issues. Maybe somewhere down the line I'll splurge for new wheels and tires but for now the wrap will suffice. Cheers.

View attachment 745821

View attachment 745822

View attachment 745823

View attachment 745824
Looks way better than stock 👍

Reactions: Mod Y Guy