Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1,100 mile road trip to Las Vegas and back with a REST datalogger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wraithnot

Model 3 VIN #2942 Model S VIN #5785
Dec 16, 2012
SF Bay Area
My wife and I had such a good time on our first Model S road trip to Las Vegas (Road Trip: Post your trip experiences - Page 4) that we decided to do it again. But this time I wanted to do a better job logging data from the car. I signed up for PureAmps' tripography website and this logged the mileage from each day of the trip (tripography.com/wraithnot). But he hasn't had a chance to enable his road trip logging feature yet so I decided to see if I could figure out how to take advantage of all the amazing work people on this forum have done on the model S REST API. I'm not a programmer by training, but I was easily able to install Hans' great node model S software (hjespers/teslams · GitHub) on my iMac and then with a bit of googling I was able to figure out how to automatically run the script every five minutes and dump the output to a text file.

We left our house (161 miles north of Harris Ranch) at 9 am on Friday and then stopped to charge at Harris Ranch, Tejon Ranch, and Barstow. I really disliked the route from Tejon ranch to Barstow that we took last time so this time we went north on 99, turned on bear mountain road, and then took 58 to Barstow. This was MUCH better than taking the more southern route the nav system recommended. Another difference with this trip is that it was MUCH hotter. It was 108 F when we pulled into Barstow to charge and it got even hotter between Barstow and Vegas. At one point, it was 113 F and I got the yellow power limiter line on the power gauge on a particularly steep part of the journey about 50 miles from Vegas. Luckily we hit the downhill portion before too long and the yellow line went away and didn't return for the rest of the trip.

As luck would have it, we arrived in Vegas just as they were having a torrential downpour. This clogged up traffic a bit and added a few minutes to the drive. We were staying at Excalibur this time to save a bit of money and part of their parking lot floods when it rains. Luckily with the air suspension set to the highest setting the car waded through about a foot of standing water without incident. The rain was starting to let up at this point, but we parked on the second floor of the parking structure just to be safe and checked into our room. Since Excalibur doesn't have any charging facilities, we then drove to the Venetian for dinner in the hope that at least one of their J1772 chargers would be free. As luck would have it, only one of their J1772 spots was occupied so we plugged into the other spot and began charging. After dinner we came back to the car to grab a few items we forgot and I noticed a third model S had arrived and was charging from the 120 V outlet by the roadster charger. I scrawled my contact info on the back of the dinner receipt and left it on my dash in case the new arrival wanted to coordinate things and grab the J1772 when we were done charging.
venetian_chargers.JPG

We then took a long walk along the Vegas strip back to our hotel so the car could charge over night. Vegas isn't designed for rain so the escalators to all the elevated pedestrian walkways quit working when they get wet and portions of the sidewalk flood. At one point, everyone was trying to walk along the curb next to a particularly soggy bit of sidewalk to keep their feet out of the water. The amusing part was that about half of the people were so drunk they couldn't maintain their balance on the curb. It was like a real-time sobriety checkpoint for pedestrians :)

We walked back to the Venetian the next morning for breakfast and retrieved the car. We spent most of our time Saturday and Sunday playing poker at Excalibur and eating fantastic meals at the MGM, but we did stop by the Venetian for lunch on Sunday to top the battery off.

We headed back Monday morning and the weather was a lot cooler than for the trip out. We passed a white 60 kWh Model S on the way to Barstow and once we got to Barstow, I was disapointed to see that two other Model S's were already charging in spots 1B and 2A. I pulled into spot 1A, but noticed the driver of the car in 1B was near his car so I asked him how much longer he planned to charge. He said he just got there so I quickly moved to spot 2B and started to charge. Unfortunately the car in 2A was getting most of the power and I got a paltry 60 amps and 71.5 mi/hr. The white 60 kWh car pulled up and started charging at spot 1A and it turns out this was the same car that was charging at the 120 V outlet at the Venetian. My wife and I then walked over to Starbucks for breakfast and then walked over to the outlet mall to kill some time while the car charged. I was monitoring the charge status and after about an hour, I noticed the charge current jumped up to 150 amps. Even though the reported charging speed only increased marginally, I assumed the other car had unplugged and we were now charging much faster. We walked back to the car and sure enough, the car that had been in 2A was gone and had been replaced by a silver model S. The range increased quite quickly after that (even though the reported charging speed didn't increase much) and soon we had enough range to safely make it to Tejon ranch.

We ran into the white Model S at Tejon ranch and again at Harris ranch. It turns out the driver is Chriz on this forum and he lives in San Jose. While we did get further and further ahead of him at each stop, I was pretty impressed with how capable a 60 kWh car is on road trips.

Here are the range and mileage stats for the trip:

Home to Harris (161.5 miles): used 190 rated miles
Harris to Tejon (116.5 miles): used 154 rated miles
Tejon to Barstow (142.6 miles): used 167 rated miles
Barstow to Vegas (158.6 miles): used 189 rated miles

Vegas to Barstow (156.5 miles): used 173 rated miles
Barstow to Tejon (149.8 miles): used 163 rated miles
Tejon to Harris (116.4 miles): used 131 rated miles
Harris to home (161.4 miles): used 193 rated miles

The 579 mile trip to Vegas took 11 hours and 22 minutes (8:39 driving and 2:43 charging) and the return trip took 11 hours and 53 minutes (8:53 driving and 3:00 charging).

Here is a graph of the rated range over time (I was planning to log the range charge before the trip, but I forgot to keep the keep the iMac from going into power saving mode until I checked the results in the morning).
Vegas_trip_plot.jpg

And this is a graph showing the results of all six supercharging stops. The 108 F temperature at the first Barstow stop didn't slow things down too much, but being the second car to plug into a pair of superchargers on the second stop at Barstow REALLY slowed things down.
supercharger_comparison.jpg

The datalogger was incredibly simple to run. All I had to do was make the following file called crontab.txt in my user folder (I redacted my Tesla username and password):
contents of crontab.txt:
*/5 * * * * date >> tesla_data.txt
*/5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/node /usr/local/bin/teslacmd -c -u ********@gmail.com -p ********** >> tesla_data.txt

And then start the job with: crontab ~/crontab.txt

I then wrote a simple script to parse the data in tesla_data.txt
If anyone is interested in looking at the actual data, I posted it here: REST_data_dump.txt - Google Drive (It's a simple tab-separated text file so you'll have to download it and use excel rather than google docs)

Last edited:
I'm curious why you didn't go direct from Harris Ranch to Barstow? Roblab has done it with no problem assuming your speed is managed.

I was thinking about giving the direct route a shot on the way back from Vegas, but we already had to spend nearly an hour and a half charging at Barstow thanks to being the second car to plug into the pair of superchargers. At that point my wife and I were both really anxious to hit the road.

I also really like to drive with the flow of traffic (75-80 mph on interstate 5 and 70-75 on many parts of 58) and between having to drive slower and charging slower as the battery gets close to full, going the direct route and saving ~27 miles wouldn't really have saved that much time.

It was nice meeting you wraithnot. Thanks for pointing me out in your post. :) It was cool running into at each supercharger stop all the way back up the bay area. I will also be posting my data, pictures and experiences along the way especially with my car being a 60kwh. I figure lots of 60kwh owners wonder if they can make it from bay area to vegas using the sc system.

That's a great chart, but also clearly shows that picking up "200 miles in 30 minutes" as advertised on the Supercharger page is still not possible.

Are all those superchargers still 90s? Or have they been boosted to 120?

All the chargers I visited only charged at 90 kW. Since Brianman probably holds the record for most superchargers visited, his explanation about 90 kW vs. 120 kW is almost certainly correct.

For a real world example, I added 115 rated miles in 30 minutes. I would have done a bit better if I had been bold enough to pull into the supercharger with a nearly empty battery.

It was nice meeting you wraithnot. Thanks for pointing me out in your post. :) It was cool running into at each supercharger stop all the way back up the bay area. I will also be posting my data, pictures and experiences along the way especially with my car being a 60kwh. I figure lots of 60kwh owners wonder if they can make it from bay area to vegas using the sc system.

Hi Chris,

I'm the Canadian that followed you to the Barstow supercharger. I'm starting to miss my Model S but beautiful California is here to compensate meanwhile!

Last edited:
All the chargers I visited only charged at 90 kW. Since Brianman probably holds the record for most superchargers visited, his explanation about 90 kW vs. 120 kW is almost certainly correct.
I'm pretty sure I don't hold that record. I'd have to have visited the East coast to compete for that one.

Also, the firmware requirement was discussed @ Teslive and/or the factory tour. I forget which. Maybe both.

Hi Chris,

I'm the Canadian that followed you to the Barstow supercharger. I'm starting to miss my Model S but beautiful California is here to compensate meanwhile!

You scared me for a bit there. I started my camera app to look at your license plate too haha. Glad you were just a fellow owner. Nice to meet you and your family! Next time bring the S down when more SCs open up!

You scared me for a bit there. I started my camera app to look at your license plate too haha. Glad you were just a fellow owner. Nice to meet you and your family! Next time bring the S down when more SCs open up!

Again, really sorry. I really wanted to see a SuperCharger ;) Eventually my goal is to cross the USA from Boston to Los Angeles in my Model S.