Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1/2 price on parts if you have Tesla Insurance ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
After finally hearing back from Tesla Insurance on my $1,238 windshield replacement claim ($400 labor, $800 parts), I was told that if you carry Tesla Insurance that Tesla parts are 50% discounted. I didn't tell Tesla Service when I brought the car in that I had Tesla Insurance. So they will be refunding me $400 and no insurance claim is then needed as I have $1,000 comprehensive. Also, after 1 year my Model Y rate went from ~$180 per month to ~$140 per month. Meant to ask why that was but forgot to inquire.

RT

After finally hearing back from Tesla Insurance on my $1,238 windshield replacement claim ($400 labor, $800 parts), I was told that if you carry Tesla Insurance that Tesla parts are 50% discounted. I didn't tell Tesla Service when I brought the car in that I had Tesla Insurance. So they will be refunding me $400 and no insurance claim is then needed as I have $1,000 comprehensive. Also, after 1 year my Model Y rate went from ~$180 per month to ~$140 per month. Meant to ask why that was but forgot to inquire.

RT
Just got the refund today. Original price fully refunded and new bill charged. Lots of phone calls and messages left to get the $415 back. Tesla Service said that they are linked to Tesla Insurance and it should have been charged the 50% off without my having to even notify them. Something apparently went wrong.

RT

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
I checked my insurance documents and didn't see it in there. You probably need to call Tesla insurance and see if it is still applicable and what the upper limit is. I can't imagine they would give you 50% off a battery. Let us know what you find out.

RT

• Funny
Reactions: GoodManFrank
Tesla Insurance repairs at a Tesla owned location have a 75% parts discount. I always thought this was ridiculous when I ran one of their locations. That discount should be behind the scenes but management felt otherwise. One thing you can do is have the shop order additional stuff on the same repair order at your expense and due to the nature of the programming, those parts will also be 75% off.

RT
So was a claim filed and then closed, or no claim was filed at all?

The 50% off is true and awesome. I was told the same when I visited Fremont SC.

Last edited:
I checked my insurance documents and didn't see it in there. You probably need to call Tesla insurance and see if it is still applicable and what the upper limit is. I can't imagine they would give you 50% off a battery. Let us know what you find out.

RT
I assume the 50% off have to be related to parts attached to a claim. So if the battery change is related to a valid claim (like battery pack hitting a rock instead of normal aging), I guess you can get the 50% off.

I asked them if can I pay out of pocket to replace a scratched window without filing a claim, and they said the discount won't apply in this case. They need to have a claim number to apply the discount.
No claim was filed.

RT
So I'm actually intersted in how this was done without filing any claim at all. Maybe they will still have some internal claim showing up.

I assume the 50% off have to be related to parts attached to a claim. So if the battery change is related to a valid claim (like battery pack hitting a rock instead of normal aging), I guess you can get the 50% off.

I asked them if can I pay out of pocket to replace a scratched window without filing a claim, and they said the discount won't apply in this case. They need to have a claim number to apply the discount.

So I'm actually intersted in how this was done without filing any claim at all. Maybe they will still have some internal claim showing up.
Let me check this further tomorrow...

RT

No way that just any random part you want to buy is 50% off. As others say, pretty sure it is only for parts that pertain to an insurance claim.

But, having said that, would this even matter if your deductible is less than any part and labor repair costs? I can’t understand where the 50% discount becomes applicable.

No way that just any random part you want to buy is 50% off. As others say, pretty sure it is only for parts that pertain to an insurance claim.

But, having said that, would this even matter if your deductible is less than any part and labor repair costs? I can’t understand where the 50% discount becomes applicable.
It will make the claim amount less? For example, if you are at fault for an accident, when evaluating the renewal premium, a $800 claim might be different than a $1200 claim.

It will make the claim amount less? For example, if you are at fault for an accident, when evaluating the renewal premium, a $800 claim might be different than a $1200 claim.
Yes, it will make the claim look less on paper, but we do not know the actual cost of the parts. Since Tesla insurance premium always increases upon renewal, you will never know how much of the increase is due to a claim or just a regular/regional increase. However, Tesla insurance had stated that an accident after signup won't cause a premium increase.

Last edited:
Yes, it will make the claim look less on paper, but we do not know the actual cost of the parts. Since Tesla insurance premium always increases upon renewal, you will never know how much of the increase is due to a claim or just a regular/regional increase. However, Tesla insurance had stated that an accident after signup won't cause a premium increase.
For me Tesla insurance premium is decreasing almost every time I renew😂 I even get a persistency discount now.

BTW I’m in California so safety score based premium doesn’t apply here.

Reactions: cbdream99
My premium w Tesla insurance decreased at the 6-mo. renewal. I'm in Colorado. Safety Score running from a low of 94 early in the 6 mo. period to consistently 96–98 over the last 3 or 4 mos. of the 6-mo. period.

I price shopped to compare (again, in mid-2023) w USAA, the insurance I've carried for 40+ yrs before switching to Tesla Insurance in late 2022. The Tesla insurance is still cheaper than USAA for me.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
My premium w Tesla insurance decreased at the 6-mo. renewal. I'm in Colorado. Safety Score running from a low of 94 early in the 6 mo. period to consistently 96–98 over the last 3 or 4 mos. of the 6-mo. period.

I price shopped to compare (again, in mid-2023) w USAA, the insurance I've carried for 40+ yrs before switching to Tesla Insurance in late 2022. The Tesla insurance is still cheaper than USAA for me.
I will be comparing rates soon when I get a VIN assigned. Isn’t Tesla’s insurance month by month (vs six month policy)?

I will be comparing rates soon when I get a VIN assigned. Isn’t Tesla’s insurance month by month (vs six month policy)?
It's a 6 months policy and also varies each month depending on your safety score unless restricted by your State. You will be given the first month of Safety Score 90, and then the subsequent months go from there , higher or lower.

Reactions: Chris
I have used this a few times. Last time I used it was getting my windshield replaced and I got 50% off of the part only. I did have to start a claim with Tesla insurance, but with the discount, it was lower than my $1k deductible, so the claim was simply closed and I got the windshield at half off. To my understanding, its specific to parts cost, not labor.