Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1,200 Mile Road Trip to Houston, TX - Am I Crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting, but could you please tell ignorants like myself the meaning of ABRP, SOC, ICE? Thanks :)

I find these and other incomprehensible acronyms annoying, too, and I have a feeling that they drive quite a few readers off this forum.

I know that ICE is used for "internal combustion engine"

APRP would appear to be the name of an app.

SOC is a complete mystery to me.

I find these and other incomprehensible acronyms annoying, too, and I have a feeling that they drive quite a few readers off this forum.

I know that ICE is used for "internal combustion engine"

APRP would appear to be the name of an app.

SOC is a complete mystery to me.

[edit: I see someone beat me to it: Today at 1:47 PM ]

SOC - State Of Charge
ABRP - A better routeplanner - A Better Routeplanner

That's funny. I had the same reaction when I saw all those abbreviations. There should be a "Sticky" that has all the explanations.

Make a "Sticky" and people will try to outdo each other with inventing all sorts of crazy new acronyms.

I have another suggestion: if an acronym is not among the top five search results on acronym.com, consider the post to be a troll post and delete it for that reason.

Make a "Sticky" and people will try to outdo each other with inventing all sorts of crazy new acronyms.

I have another suggestion: if an acronym is not among the top five search results on acronym.com, consider the post to be a troll post and delete it for that reason.

They're (mostly) not troll posts, just someone who's been around awhile. I too found it annoying at first (BTW so did/does Elon) but it's like that in any specialized field and you come up to speed pretty quickly. For lists of these shortcuts just do a search for "EV Acronym" and you'll find it all. Here's a good place to start: EV Acronyms

They're (mostly) not troll posts, just someone who's been around awhile. I too found it annoying at first (BTW so did/does Elon) but it's like that in any specialized field and you come up to speed pretty quickly. For lists of these shortcuts just do a search for "EV Acronym" and you'll find it all. Here's a good place to start: EV Acronyms

Thank you. That's useful.

Apologize for the delay in my update... But I did make the trip! It was a success! I only had a few issues. I will summarize my trip and takeaways.

I used ABRP for pre-trip planning, but realized that allowing for a headwind painted a bad picture for the whole trip. The reality is when your driving like that, sometimes the headwind is less or worse... I generally arrived with more SOC then the ABRP stated. After the first day, I quickly realized that using the cars trip planner, worked just fine! I did not use ABRP on the way home at all.

Thank you for your trip report. ABRP has saved my bacon a few times now, because you can program in Air Temperature, Road Conditions and Winds. You may arrive with more SoC in your battery, but it is better then arriving below 10% and risking battery damage.

Last summer (August 2019), I let Telsa's Nav system take me from Ritzville, WA to Clu Elum, WA. It told me I would arrive with 29%. I watched in horror this figure slowly crept downward over the next few hours. It was a 26'c day (80'F) and there was a howling headwind.

I arrived at Clu Elum at 08%. The AC cut out at 20% btw to help extend the range and .... the reason I by passed Ellensberg TSC was the long line up at its five 120kW chargers at the Holiday Inn. I was under the gun to get back home for work next morning so I pushed it and gave my self a good case of range anxiety.

I now Use ABRP (A Better Route Planner) for all of my trips. I play with temperature ranges so that I have a good look at my options.

.... and do "top up" before hitting the motel for the night. Your car will use some power to keep the computers and battery from freezing but that is all.

A car with a Low SoC "may" not have enough juice for it to do a precondition of your battery for Supercharging next morning and you will have a slow charge rate as your battery is Cold.

Congrats on your 1st major road trip. May you enjoy many more.

Kindest regards,
Hugh-SG