Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My firmware was updated to 1.28 yesterday as well. I do not see any changes to the UI nor have there been any changes to the API that I can detect (all my monitoring and mode changing scripts still work as before).

I have not yet had a real power outage while yet so I hope any anomalies reported above have been hammered out with this update since I don't have any UPS' in place (the powerwall was supposed to be a whole-home UPS).

My firmware was updated to 1.28 yesterday as well. I do not see any changes to the UI nor have there been any changes to the API that I can detect (all my monitoring and mode changing scripts still work as before).

I have not yet had a real power outage while yet so I hope any anomalies reported above have been hammered out with this update since I don't have any UPS' in place (the powerwall was supposed to be a whole-home UPS).

Artimis, whether or not there are any 'anomalies' in the 1.28 release as to back-up, you would be wise to have a UPS connected between the wall-socket and any CPU based devices you run. Computers, Network Attached Storage (NAS), routers, switches, etc. will benefit from a UPS for the 200-1500 millisecond switch-over the Gateway has as it's relay snaps shut during an outage and brings up the inverter on the PW2 unit to begin powering the house.

They are a bit over-kill as you only need them for that often sub-second 'brown out' during switch-over, but if you maintain any computer devices that MUST stay running, it would be a wise choice.

I run 6 UPSs as my house is used for biz and I run 11 computer stations as well as a NAS plus back-up and two modem / routers from two services as well as multiple switches. If my NAS is interrupted, it simply shuts down and will not automatically restart, which is a problem, as is the modems / routers. Better safe than sorry in my circumstance. If you maintain any electronics that must stay on, a UPS is a wise purchase in tandem with the PW2.

• Helpful
Reactions: PBBear
We had a very, very brief power outage a couple of nights ago, and for whatever reason our Powerwalls didn't kick in seamlessly. A few of our circuit breakers tripped, on the backed-up loads subpanel.

If you had breakers trip during the outage you likely had something else going on, that shouldn't happen. Maybe a lightning strike? Or maybe the voltage sagged enough to increase the draw on those circuits above the breaker rating?

I agree about UPS. I have three in my house. One big one (1500VA) on my home server, another big one that's wired into critical circuits like my structured wiring cabinet (ethernet switch, cable modem, etc) and my home office, and a small one on my Tivo DVR.

If you had breakers trip during the outage you likely had something else going on, that shouldn't happen. Maybe a lightning strike? Or maybe the voltage sagged enough to increase the draw on those circuits above the breaker rating?
Pretty sure there wasn't a lightning strike. The draw on those circuits (including our forced air heater) should not have been high. I'm wondering if a brownout could have caused the breakers to trip even if the current draw wasn't so high. It seems that a brownout could have either been of grid origin or caused locally by the Powerwalls not fully ramping up immediately.