Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was updated to 1.23.0 yesterday (coming from 1.22.0) and just received an update to 1.25.0 a few minutes ago.

I've logged into the web interface and poked around but no real obvious changes (minor tweak to the UI).

The powerwall still stops after logging in as an installer even if you don't launch the wizard which is kind of annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
How do you log in as an installer? I know that the password is your serial number from the gateway, but I had thought that the login name is an actual Tesla installer's email address...

I want to confirm how my CTs are setup because I have some concern that they missed something there, but to get to that screen in the wizard, I need to login as an Installer, which I can't do. My own account allows access to change the Network Configuration and look at the summary.

How did you login in as an Installer?

So any email address? for example.

User ID = [email protected]
Password = the S/N of the Gateway

Sorry, I didn't see your original reply. Initially, it is any email address and "S" + S/N of the Gateway. But in 1.21.0+ once the wizard completes, a new random password is generated and used as the password moving forward. If this is the case (and you don't have the random password), you will need to reset the password (there are instructions in the Web UI on how to do it.....it involves toggling the physical switch on the powerwall). Once reset, I believe it goes back to "S" + s/n.

I've had a web-server lockup on 1.25.0, so this bug is still not fixed. I wonder if they've given up trying.

What happens with the web-server lockup?

This morning I noticed that the Tesla app showed no power flow on my system. My logger stopped uploading data to PVOutput late last night. Called tech support but no one from the powerwall team was available to help. About 1pm logging restarted. Noticed a version change from 1.25 to 1.26 on the app.

When it locks up, the Gateway no longer responds to REST API polling. As a result, my logger stopped uploading data to PVOutput. That is how I found out. The Tesla app was still working fine when it locked up.

The only way I know of to correct this issue is to power cycle the Gateway. Some versions have a reset button. Mine doesn't. So, I had to power down the Powerwall, waited till the LED went out, then toggled the breaker on the Gateway (which caused my house to lose power).

Since doing an firmware upgrade also reboot the Gateway, it seems that the tech support fixed your lock-up by forcing a firmware upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: dswansonsb

The webserver stops responding to queries, so you cannot use the local web acess to monitor it, and anything using the web interface will stop working. The problem appears to be confined to the webserver, so the rest of the Powerall continues to function. The app doesn't use the webserver, so I cannot explain why the app would show no power flow. Perhaps a conincidental unrelated issue.

I finally talked to Powerwall support and they said the reason my system went dark (no monitoring via the app or PVOutput) was because my powerwalls weren't registered. I was asked if I ever received an email to register them. AFAIK I never received such an email. While it was dark the system operated as if I didn't have a powerwall (excess solar exported to the grid, battery SOC virtually unchanged).

I've noticed that, on 1.25.0 using the "Balanced" option in Time-Based Control mode coupled with solar PV, our Powerwalls are generally not charging to 100% anymore. This should be good for battery longevity and capacity retention beyond the ten year warranty period, and it happens that I put in a request with Tesla earlier this year to keep the state of charge below 100% unless I do something like set a high reserve percentage.

Interestingly, though, I left our reserve level set at 20% and our Powerwalls ended the day with only 35% charge. The Powerwalls seemed to have charged from the grid at random intervals, as shown below, and I'm surprised they didn't grab more of our PV production and thus raise the state of charge. Further, during day/evening hours whenever the Powerwalls weren't being charged, they were discharging to cover our home usage.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of "demand response" taking place, whereby the Tesla "mother ship" is directing Powerwalls like ours to charge/discharge in response to wider grid conditions. Or am I reading too much into this and the algorithm is semi-random?

(In case anyone is curious, last night's load was especially high because we charged all three electric vehicles from low states of charge. Our PV production is greatly affected by afternoon shade, especially this time of year. And our daytime/evening home usage was much lower than average today.)

IMG_5777.png

I think something is all messed up in version 1.25.0. I've seen other odd behavior in balanced mode, including discharging during shoulder when it should only be covering net usage. I also don't believe it is accepting new TOU schedules in the gateway, because I made a change to my schedule, but the PW continues to operate on the old schedule and now it is discharging during the new off-peak.

I agree. I am on Balanced Mode and on 1.25.0 and 1.26.0 the Powerwalls randomly start discharging early in Part-Peak when the batteries are not full. Sometimes they start discharging, then stop to charge some more, then start discharging 30-90 minutes before the Peak period starts. Very frustrating, especially now that generation is falling off due to the seasons.

Today I generated 9.8kWh and only 2.9kWh went into the Powerwalls but 9.2kWh came out. Not good.

Last edited:
This morning, our Powerwalls have been charging continuously, using all of our available PV. Our home demand is being supplied from the grid, which is not what I'd prefer but it's not a big deal since our usage is quite low right now. Still on Balanced mode with 1.25.0.

I wish I could understand what's going on - why is the Powerwall's charging behavior varying so much from one day to the next?

Anyway, I'm going to bump up our reserve to make sure there's enough for charging an EV during Peak hours. If an EV does get plugged in, then I may need to manually lower the reserve percentage so that all of the EV fuel comes from the Powerwalls.

This morning, our Powerwalls have been charging continuously, using all of our available PV. Our home demand is being supplied from the grid, which is not what I'd prefer but it's not a big deal since our usage is quite low right now. Still on Balanced mode with 1.25.0.

I wish I could understand what's going on - why is the Powerwall's charging behavior varying so much from one day to the next?

Anyway, I'm going to bump up our reserve to make sure there's enough for charging an EV during Peak hours. If an EV does get plugged in, then I may need to manually lower the reserve percentage so that all of the EV fuel comes from the Powerwalls.
I'm on 1.26.0 now but was seeing similar odd issues on 1.25.0. Lately, my PWs are only charging a few percent before my solar production starts going back to the grid. My PWs haven't gotten above 50% the past couple of days. Guess I'll switch back over to self-powered to get them charged back up a bit.

Reactions: abasile
Yesterday, on 1.26.0, was the first completely normal operation on TBC Balanced that I've seen since October 8, approximately when I got 1.25.0. By normal, I mean that there was no interruption to Powerwall charging during Part-Peak and discharge did not start before the Peak period started. The Powerwalls also charged more than they discharged, so I had a net SOC gain yesterday.

Reactions: abasile