Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 - 3 month delivery on new orders - seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend got an email today soliciting him to buy a model 3. He was bragging that he could get a M3 in 3 months, knowing how long I waited. He forwarded the email to me and I clicked through the link like I was going to buy one. here is the screen shot from the final page. The second shot is the explanation link of "1 - 3 months" .

I thought pre orders were still waiting to get theirs.

1-3 mo delivery.jpg

1-3 mo delivery 1.jpg

I am a huge Tesla fanboy but the reservation system on this Model 3 was kind of a joke. I reserved Apr2016 and a current Model S owner. I waited for that configuration email forever. Never got it until the rest of the world did on 27Jun18. I did receive my car last week (the last current owner to get their 3?) but only 1-3 months ahead of someone configuring today?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy the 3 is getting out fast and all I want is Tesla to succeed. I hope everyone gets theirs as fast as possible, so all these shorts lose their shorts. I just don't think I will ever reserve one again, but I will purchase them!

I am a huge Tesla fanboy but the reservation system on this Model 3 was kind of a joke. I reserved Apr2016 and a current Model S owner. I waited for that configuration email forever. Never got it until the rest of the world did on 27Jun18. I did receive my car last week (the last current owner to get their 3?) but only 1-3 months ahead of someone configuring today?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy the 3 is getting out fast and all I want is Tesla to succeed. I hope everyone gets theirs as fast as possible, so all these shorts lose their shorts. I just don't think I will ever reserve one again, but I will purchase them!

I was in the same boat. Just put in our order tonight with the release of white interior for non-performance.

While they didn't quite bill it this way...and I don't think they originally planned for it to work out like this either...the reservation mostly got you the chance to get a first production variant. Granted, it's also playing a role in your spot in the queue once you've placed your order, however the biggest thing it ended up getting people (mainly owners I think) was the opportunity to grab one of the first 20k or 30k 3s that were made.

Let’s see if

1.) he can actually afford it.
2.) if he gets it as fast as he thinks he can.

Y’all think Tesla stopped being a complete tease overnight?

This is for number reporting on the upcoming conference call.

You don't even need a reservation anymore. Just order it.

Model 3: Now Available to Order

Model 3 is available to order, and no reservation is required in the US. We’re now offering all our best options—including our Long Range and Performance configurations with dual motor all-wheel drive. You can design and order yours today for delivery in as soon as 1-3 months.

What a slap in the face to those who plopped down an interest free reservation for 2+ years.

Model 3: Now Available to Order

Model 3 is available to order, and no reservation is required in the US. We’re now offering all our best options—including our Long Range and Performance configurations with dual motor all-wheel drive. You can design and order yours today for delivery in as soon as 1-3 months.

What a slap in the face to those who plopped down an interest free reservation for 2+ years.

P Model 3s are getting delivered tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and the day after that.

They are not going to people who replied and said cool to the email.

I am not believing Tesla when they said July-August. July is impossible. Late August is wishful thinking.

Not sure why Tesla is implying a new order today would have the same delivery time as me.

Explain how this makes sense?

P Model 3s are getting delivered tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and the day after that.

They are not going to people who replied and said cool to the email.

I am not believing Tesla when they said July-August. July is impossible. Late August is wishful thinking.

Not sure why Tesla is implying a new order today would have the same delivery time as me.

Explain how this makes sense?
None of this is making sense.

I don't know if I should call tomorrow. Wait for an Email. Wait for a Phone Call...or what.

They are making millions per day.....why can't they get this together? They can certainly afford to.

Reactions: jsrawa
People tends to confuse about the facts that 400k+ preorder worldwide, doesn't mean the waiting queue on U.S delivery is huge.
especially when Tesla as a `for profit` public company, no wonder it will prioritized orders have high margin.

If one thing Tesla did right, it's early adapter do have some benefits like: Cheaper color selection(Red, White), Free lifetime connection, guaranteed full tax credit, and above all, Tesla still didn't cut the Model 3 price yet.

If you take a look at the history of Model S/X release, early adapter doesn't have such luxury, instead, their configuration became cheaper, paid options become standard day by day.

Last edited:

Just saying Tesla is making ~4K/week now. 1 month => 16000 cars and 3 months => 48000 cars. It's logical that the delivery time will shrink as production ramps up

By standing in line to make our reservation opening morning, my wife and I did get our RWD early in the game and have now received our P early in the game. Other reservation holders will soon see rapid fulfillment.

Yes, with production now ramped up, and with both SR and non-US/non-Canada still deferred, it makes sense that waits for new US orders will only be a few months.

That doesn't change the fact, though, that for most -- although admittedly not all reservation holders -- reserving did get one towards the front of the delivery queue.

Reactions: Zythryn and bdy0627
This has been the story for weeks. If you order now and they have a LR model in one of those lots, you will get it in a few weeks. And if you have a reservation, it still speeds things up for the AWD, P, etc. It still gives you priority over 'plain new orders'.

Why do you think they made all those cars and held them over for July/200K? To sell to anyone that wants one of those now after 200K was hit.

If you want something 'rarer' (AWD/P), it will take longer.

Not sure why this is a mystery... :D

Not really. Reservations are still ahead of new people for unbuilt cars.

It is mostly RWD, which is stockpiled, that is skipping the line.

This makes sense if reservationists want Dual Motor.

Reactions: boaterva
Not really. Reservations are still ahead of new people for unbuilt cars.

It is mostly RWD, which is stockpiled, that is skipping the line.

This makes sense if reservationists want Dual Motor.

We would hope so, however I have seen people in this forum post that they are getting their 2nd and 3rd Model 3. I don't know how that's happening, however all I can say is "Oh Well".

Just saying Tesla is making ~4K/week now. 1 month => 16000 cars and 3 months => 48000 cars. It's logical that the delivery time will shrink as production ramps up
I think this explains it pretty well. 4,000/week now sustained and they are seeing a clear path to 5,000+/week over the next month or so it seems. That makes pretty quick work of the U.S. reservations. The delivery dates got closer suddenly because Tesla pretty suddenly jumped from about 2,000/week to 4,000/week.