Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 - 3 month delivery on new orders - seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P Model 3s are getting delivered tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and the day after that.

They are not going to people who replied and said cool to the email.

I am not believing Tesla when they said July-August. July is impossible. Late August is wishful thinking.

Not sure why Tesla is implying a new order today would have the same delivery time as me.

Explain how this makes sense?

It's a window. You can fit any two things together given an arbitrarily large enough window. ;) Of course it's selling the dream to get orders lined up. Decent chance, if they can keep the production chugging at 3K+/week, that they'll need those orders by December to avoid needing to introduce new options/variants to the production line by year's end. They want to keep that to a minimum to keep it out of the way of hitting 8K/week production capacity.

Reactions: MXWing
We waited two years, one month and four days for our model three. I don't have a problem with people taking delivery in 1-3 months. I hope they do, but If I was considering a model three, I wouldn't wait, because demand will increase as there are more test drives. Also the closer it gets to the end of the year and federal tax credits expiring the more frenzy there will be.

Just saying Tesla is making ~4K/week now. 1 month => 16000 cars and 3 months => 48000 cars. It's logical that the delivery time will shrink as production ramps up

Makes sense and I have no problem if everyone gets theirs tomorrow. I "kind of" lost faith in the reservation system during this process. I waited 2 years and 3 months to get mine (current S owner). In that 2 year 3 month wait, I never got to configure ahead of the general public. I saw the price of Red and White go up during my wait (was a coin flip between White and MSM for me). And if not for the mass opening of configuration to all, I would have missed the premium connectivity deadline. Was a frustrating process but I realize the reservation system helps Tesla raise money at strategic times and I am all for Tesla thriving.

Believe Tesla is using this quick deliver option to sell more highly optioned and highly profitable Model 3. A ton of the people on the waiting list want the base, $35,000 model that will currently have very little profit.

Once Tesla gets production up and money in the bank, they can begin to enter the base car into the mix.

I believe that many that were first day line standers even envisioned a +50,000 AWD, Dual Motor, High Performance Model 3 with a white vegan interior, upgraded brakes and Extended Range battery.

The Model 3 has evolved from a bargain basement $25,000 (with Tax Credit) run around city car, to a highly desirable aspirational performance car with 310 miles of range.

I got my invitation to order months ago, but I was going to wait for the base model. However, once realized I was going to miss out on the tax credit if I waited I decided to get the LR. That said, I would have had my car in April or May, so the reservation did in fact put me ahead of almost everyone aka I don't think I wasted my $1000. Besides, the interest on $1K is barely worth noting in today's banking situation and it does get applied to your balance.

Oh and just side a note: This car FAR exceeded my expectations. It's simply amazing. I was very concerned I wouldn't be happy after sending so much money and time waiting, but it is by far the best car I've ever owned. I'm sure the base model will be well worth waiting for as well.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
I got my invitation to order months ago, but I was going to wait for the base model. However, once realized I was going to miss out on the tax credit if I waited I decided to get the LR. That said, I would have had my car in April or May, so the reservation did in fact put me ahead of almost everyone aka I don't think I wasted my $1000. Besides, the interest on $1K is barely worth noting in today's banking situation and it does get applied to your balance.

Oh and just side a note: This car FAR exceeded my expectations. It's simply amazing. I was very concerned I wouldn't be happy after sending so much money and time waiting, but it is by far the best car I've ever owned. I'm sure the base model will be well worth waiting for as well.

This is very reassuring, I pick up my car friday, I've been informed i should be ultra thorough before taking procession. I'm the first person in my family's 3 generations to ever buy a Brand new car (not a title i wanted since I look snotty to them now). I really hope the 2 year wait is worth it, since I've been driving the same car for 15 years, and the AC is busted... LOL

This is very reassuring, I pick up my car friday, I've been informed i should be ultra thorough before taking procession. I'm the first person in my family's 3 generations to ever buy a Brand new car (not a title i wanted since I look snotty to them now). I really hope the 2 year wait is worth it, since I've been driving the same car for 15 years, and the AC is busted... LOL
Holy smokes dude! You are going to think you jumped into Star Wars or something! This car is probably 5 - 10 years ahead of it's time. For you it's going to be like a 25 year jump into the future. PLEASE post when you pick it up and let us know what you think! I was already driving a Leaf and I'm still stunned at this thing. You'll love it!

P.S. The AC in this car is the best I've had. :)

Elon stated that orders have begun to flood in with the release of the AWD and performance options. The reduction of the Tax Credit after the end of the year plus the availablity to test drive the cars has gotten tons of people off the fence.

The appealing white interior has also motivated a lot of potential customers to pull the trigger.

The initial positive results from early buyers plus the 310 mile range will eliminate many of the reasons some have been putting off ordering.

Model 3 is a huge success...profitable too.

Reactions: Acps110
Believe that the reductions in the Federal Tax Credits will be the ultimate demand lever for Tesla.

They will be producing and delivering as fast as they can, but some will miss the cut off.

After December 31, the $7,500 will be cut in half.

Nobody will want to be that guy who just misses the deadline by a couple days.

A friend got an email today soliciting him to buy a model 3. He was bragging that he could get a M3 in 3 months, knowing how long I waited. He forwarded the email to me and I clicked through the link like I was going to buy one. here is the screen shot from the final page. The second shot is the explanation link of "1 - 3 months" .

I thought pre orders were still waiting to get theirs.

I got mine about ten days after I configured in early January. Already being a Tesla owner a couple times, and not wanting the cheapest Tesla ever made (LR, EAP, paint) helps a lot.

Holy smokes dude! You are going to think you jumped into Star Wars or something! This car is probably 5 - 10 years ahead of it's time. For you it's going to be like a 25 year jump into the future. PLEASE post when you pick it up and let us know what you think! I was already driving a Leaf and I'm still stunned at this thing. You'll love it!

P.S. The AC in this car is the best I've had. :)

Hahaha, will do! I'm super excited, and super scared at the same time! They called me saturday, so I have less than a week to gather stuff to prepare for the car. I've been investigating tints and clear bras (not sure the clear bra is worth it) and spent my day off today calling/messaging probably 15+ places in the orange county area, I just ordered a discounted blackvue dash camera, so that's one thing off my list, and I've narrowed the installer down to two places. Hopefully it will awe my family too, and they'll stop thinking I'm fiscally crazy!

Reactions: ℬête Noire