Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1:48 at Laguna Seca - Light mods to Model 3 for track work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S had two main issues that make it the worst car on track:
- massive weight. I mean that race P100D that was driven by Tiff Needel in Barcelona shedded 500kg/1000lbs. Stock is uber heavy. Bad for corners. Hard on tires and brakes
- Heat built up in battery and moreso inverter and motor. Usually dropping 33% of the power after 1,5 laps already.

The 3 has a major track advantage:
- far less weight than the S (but no Lotus Elise yet)
- different motor technology that is more efficient and had way less heat loss. Thus runs full power longer.

So, yes I believe the 3P will always beat the P100D on track (not drag strip).

@Lucky13 , the car would pull roughly 5% power after a lap or two and then stabilize. It seemed to hold up way better than my old Model S to back-to-back laps.

As to the healthy M3-versus Model3P discussion, I have a M3P on order and plan to test exactly this! I used to have a 2011 M3 and did a 1:46 on stock tires at Laguna Seca in it, so I would imagine I would be 2-3 seconds slower than someone like Randy Pobst in the same car/tires.

From where I sit, I think Randy Pobst might be able to get down to a 1:49 or so with stock (summer) tires on a Model 3 LR RWD. Laguna is a power-friendly track, so its quite possible that Randy Pobst driving a M3P on stock (summer) tires would approach that 1:42 M3 time.

From where I sit, I think Randy Pobst might be able to get down to a 1:49 or so with stock (summer) tires on a Model 3 LR RWD. Laguna is a power-friendly track, so its quite possible that Randy Pobst driving a M3P on stock (summer) tires would approach that 1:42 M3 time.
The would be great (even though I'll lose some beers). I agree on the LR but I think it's going to be tough without wider tires and an LSD for the P to get 7 seconds better. I have no idea though since I'm just a bench racer and an autocrosser.

2018 ReFuel Awards :cool:

REFUEL Awards - IMG_0007_Jul0118_CaliPhoto.jpg
REFUEL Awards - IMG_0033_Jul0118_CaliPhoto.jpg
REFUEL Awards - IMG_0024_Jul0118_CaliPhoto.jpg

More information from InsideEVs ... REFUEL 18 Celebrates 10 Years Of Electric Car Racing

On July 1st, 2018, Speed Ventures hosted the 10th annual Refuel EV track event at WeatherTech Raceway (the former Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway) in Monterey, California. Refuel has become the premier track event showcasing electric car and motorcycle technology in a motorsport setting. Speed Ventures, California’s leading recreational motorsports sanctioning body, envisioned Refuel 10 years ago as an opportunity to push the boundaries of EV performance. With electric vehicles becoming mainstream, these boundaries continue to expand, and this year’s event saw new track class records set for both automobiles and motorcycles. Refuel is open to racing professionals as well as EV enthusiasts and has been steadily growing each year.

At this year’s event, there were 84 vehicles entered–46 cars and 38 motorcycles. These included production vehicles, EV conversions and purpose-built prototype all-electric race cars. Refuel is an excellent event for owners of EVs that may have never driven their vehicles on a race track. These drivers receive performance driving instruction from professional competitive drivers, experience the excitement of driving in a track environment and pushing the boundaries of their electric vehicles. A highlight of the track event is participating in the Refuel Time Trial competition to see who is the fastest EV driver on WTRLS.

High-Stress Driving
The Laguna Seca 2.23-mile track stresses production EVs in ways that are unique from street driving. Each lap can eat up as much as 25 miles of normal range or about 10 times the energy of used in ordinary highway driving. The track is not kind to brakes or tires on EVs. It is not unusual for a car to eat through a set of brake pads or tires when driving to the limit on the track. Production EV drivers have to watch their battery temperatures closely as high-performance driving can cause the batteries to overheat, which will reduce the power that they can provide.

Lickfold’s Tesla Model S with a 1:47.621. Refuel 2018 was the first time Tesla Model 3’s participated with Cameron Rogers’s Model 3 taking 3rd overall with a 1:48.667. The top 10 times were mainly Tesla Model S and Model 3’s with Chevy Bolts and conversion vehicles taking the other top spots. The full results are available for automobile and motorcycle classes.

The excitement in the paddock was just as intense as on the track this year. EV enthusiasts had the opportunity to rub elbows with not only professional racers but engineers from some of the most respected EV manufacturers who look to Refuel as an opportunity to test their electric vehicles designs and ideas. Refuel provided plenty of free charging stations for participants, and there were many groups of enthusiasts gathered around the stations swapping stories and getting advice. If you are a west coast EV enthusiast, racer or just interested in experiencing the next generation of motorsports competition, Refuel is a can’t miss event.