TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

1.5 Blaupunkt Blowing Fuse

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bpangburn, Oct 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

My 1.5 (#278) blows the 15 amp amplifier fuse as soon as I turn the key. Think it was this way when I bought it back in April because it's never had much base. The head unit is a Kenwood KVT-614 with BT module & backup camera, but I think the Blaupunkt is the original subwoofer amp (see below). The PO told me that the stereo upgrade was done by Al & Eds.

tesla_blaupunkt.png

I saw some posts saying that the Blaupunkt was prone to failure so is that the likely cause? Anything else obvious that I should check? At a glance the, wires going into the amp looked good.

If the Blaupunkt is dead, is there any consensus on a replacement amp?

Also, if not doing a double din conversion, is there any consensus on the best head unit replacement? I'm OK with a single din with a small screen or maybe a motorized screen that flips down instead of up. I hate that my screen blocks my AC vents in Louisiana.

Just to restate it, I see from this post (Nakamichi CD400 Head Unit swap for the Blaupunkt - Speakers came alive and sound) that the "The harness in the 1.5 is: American International VWH-1004 1987-02 Volkswagen car radio Wiring Harness"

Thanks.
    -Brian