Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 Blaupunkt Blowing Fuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 1.5 (#278) blows the 15 amp amplifier fuse as soon as I turn the key. Think it was this way when I bought it back in April because it's never had much base. The head unit is a Kenwood KVT-614 with BT module & backup camera, but I think the Blaupunkt is the original subwoofer amp (see below). The PO told me that the stereo upgrade was done by Al & Eds.

tesla_blaupunkt.png

I saw some posts saying that the Blaupunkt was prone to failure so is that the likely cause? Anything else obvious that I should check? At a glance the, wires going into the amp looked good.

If the Blaupunkt is dead, is there any consensus on a replacement amp?

Also, if not doing a double din conversion, is there any consensus on the best head unit replacement? I'm OK with a single din with a small screen or maybe a motorized screen that flips down instead of up. I hate that my screen blocks my AC vents in Louisiana.

Just to restate it, I see from this post (Nakamichi CD400 Head Unit swap for the Blaupunkt - Speakers came alive and sound) that the "The harness in the 1.5 is: American International VWH-1004 1987-02 Volkswagen car radio Wiring Harness"

Thanks.
-Brian

• Informative
Reactions: MCroadster
Short answer is no, but I didn't try too hard.

When I replaced the aftermarket head unit installed by the prior owner, I could see that a lot of the factory wiring had been bypassed (and in some places cut). I'm not even sure the factory amp/sub was still connected. I'd still like to pull the amp at some point and see if I can bring the factory sub back to life, but haven't found the time.