Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 center shift / ac console illuminated orange when lights on?

wiztecy

Apr 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, California, United States
I came across an older pic on the web showing the center console with the ac controls illuminated, all of the writing/accessories were lit-up. Mine isn't and has never been, so I'm thinking possibly a blown bulb from the beginning. Checking to see if anyone's 1.5 center console control layout is illuminated when the lights are on, for example parking.

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
Like this?

IMG_2203.JPG

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
I'd check the fuses, too. I'm not sure that's a single bulb. I've been worried that half of my drivers side seat heater light was out, but maybe there's just something blocking it.

slcasner

Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
On my car #33 the illumination failed within the first two weeks of ownership. It was repaired by replacing the center console panel. It is still working now.

Sparrow

S105/ Roadster 189
Dec 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
Must be a very common problem, because my Roadster has never had any light there either. Never even dawned on me to have it fixed because I did not know it was a feature.

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia
My 1.5 has never had the console lit up as shown in @supersnoop's photo. I had no idea! I've only been a Roadster owner for 14 months. Sounds like that light failure is a common issue.
Thank you! Huge visual help. I'll check that connection where the ribbon connects to the pins.
Exactly which "connection" in @MLAUTO's photos are you referring to? Thanks.

slcasner

Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
How does one remove the cover piece under the console?

The roughly horizontal piece with the LED embedded is not secured with any fasteners, it just tucks into the carbon fiber console. You can just pull it out along one side and then the other. I've done this to run my iPod extension cable inside on the way up to my iPhone holder. I think I started at the forward end when I removed it.

jordanthompson

2018 P100D Model X
Apr 27, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
My million dollar question is : how do you remove the center console?
I have another thread where I recently lost the back light on my hvac panel in my 2.0 (which sits horizontally in the dashboard above the center console) . I am told it has similar lighting and I am hoping that the ribbon cable has become dislodged.
The only way I can imagine removing the hvac console is to remove the center console...
Does anyone know how to do this?

Sparrow

S105/ Roadster 189
Dec 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
Going to have my center ac console replaced. The unit costs something like $600 plus about $400 of labor bringing the total to around $1000 to fix.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC