Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 GB Upload in 1 Day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190808-210955_Google Wifi.jpg
    Screenshot_20190808-210955_Google Wifi.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
I think so. You probably had something on today's drive the Tesla decided was of interest for FSD, so the car uploaded videos of it.

I don't know exactly what Tesla uploads for those cases, but for reference a full three camera ten minute set from Sentry Mode or TeslaCam is typically about 1.2 GB for my HW3 car (might be a little bigger for HW2.5, since they use a less efficient codec?)

I've had a relatively high amount of uploading going on as well. Typically i would maybe have an upload of 50-150 MB once every week or two, but i've already had three separate events this week (~500 MB total)

My guess is that they are starting to roll out more code for detecting traffic lights and stop signs which is also why they needed to get updated maps with locations of where known ones are. They can then use the locations of known traffic lights combined with camera data from your car for training.

So if the car knows it's near a traffic light and then stops, that would trigger the car to take a video/data snapshot and upload it later on. This could help Tesla fine tune red light detection and also things like where to stop (crosswalks can be tricky!).

Eventually they won't even need map data to tell the car where things are, it will just detect them on their own - which is a far more flexible and necessary solution, but the maps are a useful crutch for the short term.

While I haven't had 1.5 GB uploads at once, i'm still seeing quite a bit since the last software update. Seeing about 100-200 MB per day and maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Before this update i would rarely have uploads.

Here's a graph of uploads over the last month - I got my current software (28.2) on August 2nd.

Uploads.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost
^^^ 7GB+ over 30 days
Oh no, you are reminding me of how old I am. Surely there are several of us out here that remember the days of 300 baud modems (or even slower). I'm glad we are not still back in those days, else that 7 GB of transmission would probably take.... what... maybe 5 years to get to Tesla? Gee, how spoiled we have become :D