Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 GB Upload in 1 Day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the bar graphs are showing your download and not the upload though, if you click on "Upload" they should adjust to show the distribution of download time.

Something is definitely going on with the the latest software update and uploads!

I'm still on 24.4 and have had a pretty high upload since getting the car in April, I just didnt realize it was high until others starting they dont even upload daily.

Looks like the bar graphs are showing your download and not the upload though, if you click on "Upload" they should adjust to show the distribution of download time.

Something is definitely going on with the the latest software update and uploads!

One lick of 1.1 GB
Screenshot_20190818-171154_Google Wifi.jpg

I'm still on 24.4 and have had a pretty high upload since getting the car in April, I just didnt realize it was high until others starting they dont even upload daily.

Interesting! So yea the cars definitely uploads because it is activating triggers that Tesla has set in the software. Read this really good Twitter thread from @verygreen that talks about how some of the triggers work (back in February): green on Twitter

What i was/am trying to say is that i believe the new software has more and more triggers set in the software, so the car is starting to upload more than it used to. I would rarely trigger an "event" with past softwares, but now it's happening almost on a daily basis for me.

The fact you're seeing over 1 GB at once is because you probably had multiple "events" during a drive and then when you came home around 12PM the car uploaded everything to Tesla. Your drives must be very interesting to Tesla ;)

Reactions: Alset Srotom
i believe the new software has more and more triggers set in the software,
if this was the case my car would upload more. But it does not. So these are still variable triggers Tesla uploads to subset of the fleet cars (that my car is not part of obviously).

Edit: another possibility is the AP unit was just super crashy and crashdumps were uploaded. Though they are not typically as big to amass to even 1G, so it's more likely these are multiple triggers. considering a single trigger could easily generate 300M of data, does not even need to be all that many.

Reactions: Alset Srotom
I think so. You probably had something on today's drive the Tesla decided was of interest for FSD, so the car uploaded videos of it.

I don't know exactly what Tesla uploads for those cases, but for reference a full three camera ten minute set from Sentry Mode or TeslaCam is typically about 1.2 GB for my HW3 car (might be a little bigger for HW2.5, since they use a less efficient codec?)
yupp. daddy called.

Oh no, you are reminding me of how old I am. Surely there are several of us out here that remember the days of 300 baud modems (or even slower). I'm glad we are not still back in those days, else that 7 GB of transmission would probably take.... what... maybe 5 years to get to Tesla? Gee, how spoiled we have become :D
Yup. My first modem was an acoustic coupler... took the old handle style phone and put it in a cradle. The cradle had a speaker on one end of it, and a microphone on the other.

Back then, my monthly long distance charges for accessing BBS's around the country, as well as CIS (CompuServe Information Services) and then later on America Online were huge; it was expensive being a nerd back in the day.

Reactions: Silicon Desert