Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 Roadster Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so what is the consensus/final word?
Michelin Pilot Super Sport on the rear . 225/45 ZR 17?
Yokohama Advan A052’s ?
AD07s AD08s?

are the Toyo Proxes T1R only for 2.5's?

and other pearl....Only Jack with pads, no lift, and put fear of god/Elon over the head of tire folks just for safety :)
Hey what about the TPMS...do folks have good luck with those being addressed by local not tesla service center? Thats another confusing thread.....though I see a new updated thread has started so maybe I just need patience and illumination will come ( i do get that 1.5 has different issues than 2.+_)
TPMS Questions

Yokohama Advan A052’s ?
AD07s AD08s?

and other pearl....Only Jack with pads, no lift, and put fear of god/Elon over the head of tire folks just for safety :)
Hey what about the TPMS...do folks have good luck with those being addressed by local not tesla service center? Thats another confusing thread.....though I see a new updated thread has started so maybe I just need patience and illumination will come ( i do get that 1.5 has different issues than 2.+_)
TPMS Questions
Since I occasionally drive in the winter I have the Continental Extereem Sport DWS. They work well. On the 1.5 TPMS is much better as you can just replace the bad unit. Then drive 21 miles to synchronize. No special tools.

Reactions: X.l.r.8
Yokohama Advan A052’s ?
AD07s AD08s?

TPMS Questions

Unfortunately the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is no longer available for the size. I couldn't find them anywhere, even online. So I went with the stock Yokohama AD07s on the rear.

I'm getting them mounted at a local shop for $35/tire. I insisted on a floor jack and no lift.

New tires put in, this was one of the old ones! Down to the wear bar

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_150301.jpg
    IMG_20190625_150301.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 192
Just circling back on the new tire recommendations and also re TPMS...I know there are other threads on this forum but this one is more recent...and hopefully someone can comment.
I get the TPMS error message when engage to drive, but when in Park, I can still see my tire pressures and temp. Does that make sense? Could it still be the units on the tires causing the issue (that's what local service center said to try first...which seems a bit like guessing not knowing)?

Just circling back on the new tire recommendations and also re TPMS...I know there are other threads on this forum but this one is more recent...and hopefully someone can comment.
I get the TPMS error message when engage to drive, but when in Park, I can still see my tire pressures and temp. Does that make sense? Could it still be the units on the tires causing the issue (that's what local service center said to try first...which seems a bit like guessing not knowing)?

My Roadster has been doing the same thing for a year or two. I get a TPMS error at the start of every drive, yet all the tires are properly reporting in their temperatures and pressures. Our service tech theorized perhaps one or more sensors isn't reporting in quickly enough or regularly enough, but that was just a guess. I figure I'll likely try replacing the sensors next time I buy new tires, but who knows when that will be. I don't put a lot of miles on the Roadster anymore now that I have a Model 3 Performance.

My Roadster has been doing the same thing for a year or two. I get a TPMS error at the start of every drive, yet all the tires are properly reporting in their temperatures and pressures. Our service tech theorized perhaps one or more sensors isn't reporting in quickly enough or regularly enough, but that was just a guess. I figure I'll likely try replacing the sensors next time I buy new tires, but who knows when that will be. I don't put a lot of miles on the Roadster anymore now that I have a Model 3 Performance.

If you have OVMS, have a look at the TPMS screen on the App, during the start of the drive. That shows individual sensor values, and it is quite easy to see if one wheel or one antenna (front or rear) is bad. We can also have a look at the raw canbus messages themselves to isolate the issue.

is this the right michelin pilot sport size..has different lettters after it than earlier in this thread
View attachment 444184
This is an "All Season" tire, which is fine, but be sure you don't mix it with a "Summer" tire on the front wheels. The difference is traction under extreme conditions, and can lead to spins when you don't want them. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them in the size needed for the fronts.

That said, the prior owner had put them on my car, along with the original Advan tires in the front, and I didn't suffer any issues. But I didn't have any extreme events... They've all been swapped out for the Continental ExtremeContact Sport+ tires, which are the summer variety. Not supposed to run them when temps drop into the 30's or below. (Again, I didn't know this, and regularly drove the car with the Advan tires in the front during the winter. Temps definitely low, but I don't get snow here...)

is this the right michelin pilot sport size..
It's the right size for the rear only, but it's the wrong tire. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4s would be much better but not on a 1.5 because they don't make that tire in the front size, and you don't have the tire learning feature so it's hard to match it with a different tire in the front. Your best bet is to go with Yokohama AD07 all around or better yet Continental Extreme Contact on all 4.

If you have OVMS, have a look at the TPMS screen on the App, during the start of the drive. That shows individual sensor values, and it is quite easy to see if one wheel or one antenna (front or rear) is bad. We can also have a look at the raw canbus messages themselves to isolate the issue.

I do have OVMS, but haven't watched the tire pressures right after key on. I do know I've often checked after the TPMS error/alert message and the tire pressures and temps show fine. Next time I go for a spin I'll start watching the tires before I even turn the key on and try to notice if all the tires come up at the same time or one is slower than the others. I assume that's what you are suggesting I watch for since ultimately they all end up reporting correctly while I'm driving?

I do have OVMS, but haven't watched the tire pressures right after key on. I do know I've often checked after the TPMS error/alert message and the tire pressures and temps show fine. Next time I go for a spin I'll start watching the tires before I even turn the key on and try to notice if all the tires come up at the same time or one is slower than the others. I assume that's what you are suggesting I watch for since ultimately they all end up reporting correctly while I'm driving?

Yes. You should see the individual wheels reporting.

The other useful thing is to put in a microSD card, and get a can log trace of ID 0x344 on CAN1 (the first can bus), from just before the key is turned until after the first few minutes of a drive. That can show the individual sensors, as they are reported by the car.

I was due for my NYS state inspection and of course my rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports are worn down to the wear bar and they won't pass me until I replace them. All that spirited driving!

I can't find the Super Sports anywhere and my only option it seems are the AD07s at least on TireRack. I got them for about $183 each for the two rear 225/45ZR17.

Is there anything special for the shop to lift the Roadster? I'm paranoid about that whole lift adapter thing. The shop specializes in European imports so no doubt they have experience with Lotus (hopefully). My other option is going to a Tesla SC, but I'm not sure how much of an arm and a leg they'd charge.

How many miles did you get on your Michelin’s? I only got 10k miles. I’m down to the steel on the inside still have tread on the outside.

steel on the inside and tread on the outside sounds like an alignment issue?
Actually, these Roadsters come from the factory with a lot of negative camber... if you look at the wheels from the front or back of the car, the tops of the wheels are tilted in towards the car. This helps in cornering, but if you do a lot of straight line commuting, then the insides will wear out faster. The cure for this is to corner harder and hit the curves more often :)

Reactions: IslandRoadster