Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.5 Roadster Tire Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you like the Michelin's? Were the the PS4Ss or the super sports?

They were the PS4S, great tires, but I only got 10k out of them. That said, I received warranty refund. My per tire cost was $188.99. Refund was $151.19. So I only paid $37.80 per tire which is an amazing deal. This time I’m trying the Continental Extreme Contact, but would happily go back to Michelin’s.

Thanks for the info guys. Pretty sweet for the refund but 10,000 miles is a bit on low side.

What are you guys able to find the Continental Extreme Contacts? There seem to be plenty in the 225 size for the rear, but it sounds like the 195 size for the front has been out of stock for more than a year. Are you running the ADO7s in the front and Continentals in the rear?

I'm considering going with the Yokohama A052 all around. They have a front size of 195 50R16 88W (P/N 110105274) and a rear size of 225 45R17 94W (P/N 110115207). The fronts seem to match the diameter fairly closely to the OEM spec with just a wider track. Had you looked into those when you were purchasing new tires?

Thanks for the info guys. Pretty sweet for the refund but 10,000 miles is a bit on low side.

What are you guys able to find the Continental Extreme Contacts? There seem to be plenty in the 225 size for the rear, but it sounds like the 195 size for the front has been out of stock for more than a year. Are you running the ADO7s in the front and Continentals in the rear?

yes, AD07 in front and Continental in the back for me. I was hoping to switch to Continental’s in the front, but I’m seeing what you are seeing with them out of stock. If you want to focus on max milage per set and same tread, you could try the Dunlop Direzza DZ102. I’m not sure any of us has tried those yet. Be careful as they will have less grip than the max performance tires we usually use.

Thanks for the information. Are you typically swapping out the TPMS sensors every time you change tires? This is my first tire change. So far the TPMS sensors have been very reliable but I've heard these sensors are sensitive and and a tire change may damage them.

For reference to other 1.5 owners, I decided to install the newer Yokohama A052 tires on both the front and the rear and after few months of use I can report that they are suitable options for the roadster.

This summer I picked up a set of the Yokohama A052s to replace my older AD07s that were stock on the roadster. The sizes and model numbers that I purchased were the 195 50R16 88W (P/N 110105274) and a rear size of 225 45R17 94W (P/N 110115207). By picking them up in person at the Tire Rack Sparks Nevada warehouse there was a bit savings on shipping, I purchased them for $382.36 for the pair of rears and $406.36 for the pair of front tires. Not too bad seeing that the OEM AD07s were almost $350 per tire.

The primary trade-off was bumping the front tires up to the 195 width. Considering that side wall ratio dropped from 55 to 50, the front tire diameter is almost the same only losing about 0.5% of overall diameter from the stock 175/55R16. Seeing that the size of 195/50 R16 was supported for sport model in owner's manual I felt confident that these should work.

I had these tires installed at a local shop called Custom Alignment in Mountain View as I heard that they have worked on roadsters before. An alignment and break work was completed at the same time of the tire install so I can't 100% attribute the performance differences to the change in tires. The TMPS sensors were not needed to be replaced and just had a service kit.

After the install, I immediately noticed a dramatic improvement in the smoothness of the tire. The harshness of small bumps was mostly gone, and tire drone and steering wheel vibration at high speed were dramatically reduced. I did notice a slightly longer delay to the steering input from the AD07s. I suspect this is attributed to the larger sidewalls of the front tires (see pictures) as these A052 are about 0.3" wider than a standard 195 size tire. I had to verify this a couple of times to make sure that it was actually present as the effect is very slight. Taking the car on a spirited drive up and down Skyline, there was definite improvement in grip. Without taking off traction control, I was not able to break them loose. I had to drive a bit more carefully when the AD07s were mounted.

I did notice a bit of drop in range, with the new tires. I have not given it a long drive on a full charge yet, but would suspect about 5-6mile of standard range loss.

The only other consideration about the A052 tires is that they use an extreme summer performance compound, and are a bit sensitive to the cold. They should not be stored at <14°F. In Coastal California it is not as big of an issue, but for some locations they might be a bit difficult to store.

Overall, I think these are great options for alternative tires if you are not looking for maximum efficiency.
PXL_20201213_204244449.jpg
PXL_20201213_204232803.jpg
IMG_20200811_123700.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester and TEG
Needing new tires and moving to Colorado from California. After reading the entire thread, it appears the best choice is Continental Extreme Sport DWS 06. Not knowing much (if anything) about tires, can you put 195mm tires as your front two tires? I see other folks have done it with good results. Does the 20mm difference in size just mean that steering may be somewhat less responsive since a larger tire width is being used to steer the car? Since others have had success with this combination, my conclusion is that 195mm would be fine. It will get below zero F in Boulder over the winter. I am not an aggressive driver and don't plan on driving the Roadster in the snow, but would like to be able to take it out on clear, cold days when the roads are clear. Thanks for the help.

As of right now, my current plan is the Continental DWS06 PLUS for all four tires. 195 /50 R16 84W SL BSW on the front and 225 /45 R17 91W SL BSW on the back. I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anyone has any bad or good experiences with such a set that has not already been in the thread, please advise. Thanks

It has only been a few days and about 100 miles. So far all good with the new tires. Took almost 90 minutes for shop to install. They were very careful and I was out there the whole time. So far I can report these tires are quieter. Did some driving on mountain roads and no issues with response. Acceleration seems to be the same. Of course, it is still very warm in Boulder so no testing yet on wet or cold roads.

It has only been a few days and about 100 miles. So far all good with the new tires. Took almost 90 minutes for shop to install. They were very careful and I was out there the whole time. So far I can report these tires are quieter. Did some driving on mountain roads and no issues with response. Acceleration seems to be the same. Of course, it is still very warm in Boulder so no testing yet on wet or cold roads.

Need to replace my tires soon, how is this setup working for you?