Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,875 rebate sounds likely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a guess....

I would think that they will do this for people who:

1. Ordered a tesla between October 1st and December 8th
2. Had completed all steps in their tesla accounts
3. Either were not assigned a vin by Dec 31st, or Were unable to pick up the car assigned by Dec 31s, Provided that they made "every effort" to pick up their cars. People that say that they were not available for a week in december might end up not getting any credit, for example.

No inside knowledge, nothing like that, just guessing what tesla might want to do to be fair to those who genuinely were unable to pick up their cars, and not give away money to people who were not in a position to "perform" for one reason or another.

I spoke with my SR yesterday. He said they've been given direction that if a customer placed an order before 12/8/19 and if the customer was available to receive delivery before 12/31/19 (i.e. did not leave town or flake on their delivery appointment), then they can submit a case to make amends for the loss of rebate. No further information on how this will be paid out or how quickly these approvals will happen.

Sounds like I was fairly close in my guess near the beginning of this thread, including the December 8th date.

Just got a call about my order being ready for delivery tomorrow and was told I am not eligible for the $1875 money back. I placed an order for an SR+ on 12/12 when the website was still reporting orders would be available for delivery by Dec 31st and my Tesla account lists delivery 2 weeks from order date. Contemplating canceling the order as the federal rebate was part of the motivation for ordering now vs later for me.

I wouldn’t let $1875 keep me from enjoying driving my 3. You did order one in the 9th inning of a game that’s been running out of tax credits for over a year..

To be fair Tesla doesn’t have to give us anything. It’s a federal tax credit and they made no guarantees as a company despite what individual SA’s said. That being said the fact that they are acknowledging that the only reason I for example didn’t get my car was their fault and not mine says a lot. I’d have taken delivery with no compensation even. I’d have grumbled and pushed for a wall charger or something but I’d have eventually been happy with my car for sure. Still haven’t got it yet though...

$1875 in cash is actually pretty darn valuable even if it is post purchase and not off the price of the car. I will be sure to get it in writing though. Thanks for that advice!

I spoke with my SR yesterday. He said they've been given direction that if a customer placed an order before 12/8/19 and if the customer was available to receive delivery before 12/31/19 (i.e. did not leave town or flake on their delivery appointment), then they can submit a case to make amends for the loss of rebate. No further information on how this will be paid out or how quickly these approvals will happen.

Which dealer did you spoke with about this?

It's nice tesla is thinking about compensating for the missed deliveries, but wished there was an official release about this

Reactions: Transformer
Everyone! I got a call from a offsite sales manager telling me that I will be given a post delivery check to compensate for the loss of the tax credit amounting in $1875. Ordered Burbank 11/24 white black 19’s SR+. Got delivery text 12/22, appointment 12/28 but never received Vin and got a call on 12/28 saying car won’t make it in time. Got MVPA 01/01/2020 and found out today car is offsite and will be ready for delivery this week. So there you go!

I ordered 11/21 and they canceled my delivery of 12/28. I have a pickup appointment for today and they reviewed my file and will be cutting me a check of $1,875.

I ordered 11/21 and they canceled my delivery of 12/28. I have a pickup appointment for today and they reviewed my file and will be cutting me a check of $1,875.

do you have any confirmation that they will cut you a check on any document or MVPA?

talked to Buena Park today, and they said nothing will be offered by Tesla for missing the rebate.
granted this dealer hasn't been the best with communication and all

I have received no written confirmation of the compensation. I got the one phone call and even though he initially left a message he did not indicate any details in the vm so I have no proof other than my word. I will be emailing my SA tomorrow to confirm what I heard and hopefully get him to admit that he is aware of it and atleast get something. My cars in freaking storage, still no delivery text. It was built 12/31, its freaking 01/07 and still no delivery? I don’t get how all of a sudden it can be this slow for a vehicle that’s already assigned and practically ready.

I have received no written confirmation of the compensation. I got the one phone call and even though he initially left a message he did not indicate any details in the vm so I have no proof other than my word. I will be emailing my SA tomorrow to confirm what I heard and hopefully get him to admit that he is aware of it and atleast get something. My cars in freaking storage, still no delivery text. It was built 12/31, its freaking 01/07 and still no delivery? I don’t get how all of a sudden it can be this slow for a vehicle that’s already assigned and practically ready.

That will be great if you do, more valuable than a verbal confirmation.

Thx for the other tips

This business of cutting a check after you purchase the car is nonsense. Why can’t they adjust the sales price instead of making you overpay and then issuing you a refund? And why won’t they put any of this in writing? Tesla is notorious for verbally promising things and not fulfilling them.

This business of cutting a check after you purchase the car is nonsense. Why can’t they adjust the sales price instead of making you overpay and then issuing you a refund? And why won’t they put any of this in writing? Tesla is notorious for verbally promising things and not fulfilling them.

I am not sure because I am not an accountant, but I would imagine there is an accounting difference in selling something for full price, then cutting a check "later" vs discounting the price at the outset, from an accounting perspective.

Someone in the financial industry could tell us, likely.

Anyway, this "sell full price and cut a check for tax credit difference after" is the same thing they are doing for people who had energy products (solar / powerwall) that were unable to be installed by the end of last year due to teslas fault. That tax credit goes from 30% to 26% this year. I was told for my powerwalls that were installed yesterday, instead of last week of december as originally planned, that they would cut me a check for the difference, when PTO was complete.

I am hopeful that actually happens.

I am not sure because I am not an accountant, but I would imagine there is an accounting difference in selling something for full price, then cutting a check "later" vs discounting the price at the outset, from an accounting perspective.

Anyway, this "sell full price and cut a check for tax credit difference after" is the same thing they are doing for people who had energy products (solar / powerwall) that were unable to be installed by the end of last year due to teslas fault. That tax credit goes from 30% to 26% this year. I was told for my powerwalls that were installed yesterday, instead of last week of december as originally planned, that they would cut me a check for the difference, when PTO was complete.

They can code a discount in their accounting system to the same category as a check if they are trying to maintain a profit margin to stockholders. The bigger problem I see with all this is that they are not putting any of this in writing. So if two months go by and you still don’t have your check, what do you do? Who do you call? Turnover at Tesla is high so the person who promised you the check may not even work there anymore. And if they do, who knows if they will feel like responding to emails and voicemails. They usually can’t be bothered.

There also seems to be a lack of consistency in who is being offered the rebate. Some reps know about it, others say Tesla is not offering compensation for missed deliveries. It’s typical Tesla dysfunction. I would at least force someone to acknowledge the check in an email so you have some sort of record of the offer.

Bingo. One causes earnings to be restated; the other is customer goodwill. Accounting treatments drive behavior ...

They can code a discount in their accounting system to the same category as a check if they are trying to maintain a profit margin to stockholders. The bigger problem I see with all this is that they are not putting any of this in writing. So if two months go by and you still don’t have your check, what do you do? Who do you call? Turnover at Tesla is high so the person who promised you the check may not even work there anymore. And if they do, who knows if they will feel like responding to emails and voicemails. They usually can’t be bothered.

There also seems to be a lack of consistency in who is being offered the rebate. Some reps know about it, others say Tesla is not offering compensation for missed deliveries. It’s typical Tesla dysfunction. I would at least force someone to acknowledge the check in an email so you have some sort of record of the offer.

yeah that's the main thing, if there's nothing in writing they can easily say that was never said.

Buena Park is telling us that there was no guarantee that car would be delivered by 31st when the website and the SA repeated that several times.