Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1,875 rebate sounds likely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,
Ordered my Model 3 on Nov 18. then decided to change color which my sales rep told me puts us in the back of the queue. changed color configuration on Dec. 9. Were told that there is good chance will get delivery by end of the year. Did not happen.
Now the car is ready for delivery but they are only offering free supercharging for a year. has anyone been able to get the 1750 credit in southern california??

Most of us in this thread are SoCal, so yes, myself included. I picked up on 1/22 in Marina Del Rey.

Nice. White/white? I ordered the same. Sounds like I should be getting contact soon. I already spoke to the manager in San Francisco it looks likely I will receive the rebate due to my open availability during the 12/31 delivery time. Enjoy your car....I’m sure it was worth the wait!

For those of you who got free supercharging for a year.. does it say this anywhere in your account/app/car?

I was promised this in lieu of the rebate but I don't see it listed anywhere. All I see is my 1000 referral miles from using a friend's link.

I do have it in writing via email and was told that it should show up soon.

For those of you who got free supercharging for a year.. does it say this anywhere in your account/app/car?

I was promised this in lieu of the rebate but I don't see it listed anywhere. All I see is my 1000 referral miles from using a friend's link.

I do have it in writing via email and was told that it should show up soon.

i didn't get the credit until today. it shows under vehicle details' "Supercharging status"

it really doesn't add to much, i had to supercharge a couple of times already, and each time it would only cost between $10-20 max depending on the starting battery level.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonanthony
Still no luck with rebate here..being pushed the 1 year free supercharging. How much would you say the 1 year supercharging amounts to? This is mostly my commute car, likely will take 5 to 6 long range trips over 300 miles each. Alternative being offered is merchandise credit. Any thoughts?

Still no luck with rebate here..being pushed the 1 year free supercharging. How much would you say the 1 year supercharging amounts to? This is mostly my commute car, likely will take 5 to 6 long range trips over 300 miles each. Alternative being offered is merchandise credit. Any thoughts?

I've supercharged four or five times since getting my SR+ and have just over 4,000 miles now.... I haven't even used up my 1,000 free miles and I got a referral so I have 1,000 extra free ones. So..... not much. If I had to pay for all the supercharging sessions, I would say maybe $100 so far, maybe a little less. If you can charge at home, you'll likely not supercharge very much except for travel. I think the merch credit would be better, especially if they're offering anything close to that $1875 level... even $1,000 or something... if they allow you to buy wheels with that and you're in a location that might switch to winter wheels. Otherwise not sure how much merch you would get.

I ended up buying floor mats, a license plate frame for the front plate, wireless charger pad, and a second set of wheels. I've been debating the garage door opener too which might be something you ask them about...

Did you take delivery of the car yet, or is it still up in the air? Because maybe you cancel and get a Model Y since it sounds like those are really really close to coming out?

Depending on how much you drive and if there is a convenient supercharger nearby.

Here comes a bunch of back of the napkin extrapolation:

Model 3's efficiency is 4.1 miles per kwh. So in order to get $1800 worth of supercharging you would need to charge up at least 1800/0.33 = 5454kwh. Which translates to roughly 5454/4.1 = 1330 miles. Which translates to 3 to 4 miles per day. If we count only weekdays (work commuter), and taking out 2 weeks (away on vacation, holidays etc), 5*50 = 250 driving days. 1330/250 = 5 to 6 miles per day.

Big caveats, this assumes exclusively supercharger charging, and assumes 33c per kwh supercharger rates. Which is what it is around here. This also assumes flat 4.1 kwh efficiency, which in real life is usually different. Another HUGE caveat, is that you can typically charge for a lot cheaper (with solar for as little as 0 to 2 cents per kwh depending on if you are pulling from utility at night or not), with TOU plans without solar for 14 to 23c kwh. Charging at work locations is often free or as low as 12 to 15c kwh. Even public charging is typically under 20c kwh (level 2). So the caveat being is that supercharger costs a lot more % wise than alternate ways of charging. Which in turn makes it so that you break even at much fewer miles charged. If for instance you can charge elsewhere for 15c kwh, then the 5 to 6 miles per day goes up to 10 to 12 miles per day. If you can charge for free (workplace or solar) then supercharging would not be worth it at all, unless you do roadtrips. So its really dependent on your personal driving situation.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC

How much merchandise credit are they offering? At least enough to get a home charger?

Depending on how much you drive and if there is a convenient supercharger nearby.

Here comes a bunch of back of the napkin extrapolation:

Model 3's efficiency is 4.1 miles per kwh. So in order to get $1800 worth of supercharging you would need to charge up at least 1800/0.33 = 5454kwh. Which translates to roughly 5454/4.1 = 1330 miles. Which translates to 3 to 4 miles per day. If we count only weekdays (work commuter), and taking out 2 weeks (away on vacation, holidays etc), 5*50 = 250 driving days. 1330/250 = 5 to 6 miles per day.

Big caveats, this assumes exclusively supercharger charging, and assumes 33c per kwh supercharger rates. Which is what it is around here. This also assumes flat 4.1 kwh efficiency, which in real life is usually different. Another HUGE caveat, is that you can typically charge for a lot cheaper (with solar for as little as 0 to 2 cents per kwh depending on if you are pulling from utility at night or not), with TOU plans without solar for 14 to 23c kwh. Charging at work locations is often free or as low as 12 to 15c kwh. Even public charging is typically under 20c kwh (level 2). So the caveat being is that supercharger costs a lot more % wise than alternate ways of charging. Which in turn makes it so that you break even at much fewer miles charged. If for instance you can charge elsewhere for 15c kwh, then the 5 to 6 miles per day goes up to 10 to 12 miles per day. If you can charge for free (workplace or solar) then supercharging would not be worth it at all, unless you do roadtrips. So its really dependent on your personal driving situation.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Please check your math. 5454 kWh and 4.1 miles per kWh will get you about 22,361 miles of driving (multiply, not divide) That is just shy of 90 miles per weekday driving over the course of a year.

• Helpful
Reactions: anon125110
As important as the tax credit seems to be to him, what would be the benefit in ordering a more expensive car that still gets no credit?

Sorry, I haven't followed this whole post, thought he might just be letting others know what Tesla was telling him. Just was tossing that out there in case he was rushing to get the credit and it wasn't going to happen at all than maybe the Y is something he wants...

Please check your math. 5454 kWh and 4.1 miles per kWh will get you about 22,361 miles of driving (multiply, not divide) That is just shy of 90 miles per weekday driving over the course of a year.

Woops, you are right! Sadly I cant edit the post and fix it. So based on the corrected math, there is no way free supercharging for a year would break even with $1800 unless you commute is 50 miles one way.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC

it's not much, i supercharged 3 or 4 times already, and both maybe from 50 mile range to the 220mi range, cost is about $15.

i have submitted a complaint to HQ to see what happens since Buena Park didn't want to help out much.

but imo, cash back is best