Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.9.1 is out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get 1.9.1?

I notice that my PWs updated this morning.. This update still doesn’t allow me to charge my PWs from the grid.

Currently my PWs are at 40% charge. If I set the reserve to 100% in self powered mode or backup mode my solar generation charges the PWs and the house is fed from the grid.

Again, prior to 1.9.0 my PWs charged from the grid at 3.3kw with the same conditions above.

Anyone else having problems charging their PWs from the grid?

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Now have 1.9.1 Have tested dropping the reserve down to force deeper discharge - this now works but the update time has now changed (ie used to change settings hourly on the hour). Have now cranked the reserve level right up to see if I can force charging the PW2 from the grid - will let you know

@gkennedy, how do you change the battery Reserve value? I am on PW-2 v1.6.0 firmware and App Version 3.2.0 and the only way I can change it is via the Wizard. The option to do this via the App is there but it does not work.

I just ran the Wizard to see if I could get a firmware update (but it says there are no updates) and now I see from the Powerwall that my Registration Details have changed "limited_warranty:false" to "limited_warranty:true". This has not happened before so I'm not happy about this even if it is cosmetic.

Thanks,

Harry E.
===

@gkennedy, how do you change the battery Reserve value? I am on PW-2 v1.6.0 firmware and App Version 3.2.0 and the only way I can change it is via the Wizard. The option to do this via the App is there but it does not work.

I just ran the Wizard to see if I could get a firmware update (but it says there are no updates) and now I see from the Powerwall that my Registration Details have changed "limited_warranty:false" to "limited_warranty:true". This has not happened before so I'm not happy about this even if it is cosmetic.

Thanks,

Harry E.
===
Hi - I am running App version 3.2.0 and Firmware 1.191

I am only controlling the PW2 via the iPhone App. The setting on the PW2 only updates hourly (at the same minute each hour) - so there will be a delay after you change the App Reserve setting.

I can't comment about your firmware version as I have never been on a version less than 1.8.x

I know the installer said it is much trickier to set up when the PW2 is connected via the home LAN to the Internet rather than the preferred 3G/4G connection to the Internet.

Suggest you log a call with Tesla as they are very good to deal with.

Anyone else get 1.9.1?

I notice that my PWs updated this morning.. This update still doesn’t allow me to charge my PWs from the grid.

Currently my PWs are at 40% charge. If I set the reserve to 100% in self powered mode or backup mode my solar generation charges the PWs and the house is fed from the grid.

Again, prior to 1.9.0 my PWs charged from the grid at 3.3kw with the same conditions above.

Anyone else having problems charging their PWs from the grid?
All working fine on 1.9.1 Max charge rate from Grid 1.7kW (Single PW2)

All working fine on 1.9.1 Max charge rate from Grid 1.7kW (Single PW2)

Weird, with my reserve set to 100% only whatever the solar is produces goes to the Powerwalls, my home is still fed by the grid.

60CB4CAE-2F41-4483-AD21-AA549A8CD563.png

195EB9C6-9DDC-47D0-93F8-9A6108857FA3.png

The graphic shows your PW-2 is not fully charged (dark green vertical bar). Although you have set 100% Reserve via the App, I "think" you will find if you check this setting via the Wizard it will show something less than the current charge level and this is using the solar to charge above the (current) Reserve Level. It seems you have set 100% Reserve so the battery is not being used to provide power to supplement the Solar so I'm guessing the PW-2 is only honouring half of the setting and is "confused" between the current App 100% and a previous value).

On the Home screen of the App - what does the Battery Percentage (Compare to the Reserve value seen in the Wizard) and State show (Charge/Discharge/Standby)?

This is the type of behaviour I saw when I tried to change the Reserve value via the App - it shows it set to what I want but the behaviour and Wizard show previous values set via the Wizard.

(Apologies in advance but the 67% seen in the top RH corner is the power level of your phone/tablet [sorry if you already know that]).

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

The graphic shows your PW-2 is not fully charged (dark green vertical bar). Although you have set 100% Reserve via the App, I "think" you will find if you check this setting via the Wizard it will show something less than the current charge level and this is using the solar to charge above the (current) Reserve Level. It seems you have set 100% Reserve so the battery is not being used to provide power to supplement the Solar so I'm guessing the PW-2 is only honouring half of the setting and is "confused" between the current App 100% and a previous value).

On the Home screen of the App - what does the Battery Percentage (Compare to the Reserve value seen in the Wizard) and State show (Charge/Discharge/Standby)?

This is the type of behaviour I saw when I tried to change the Reserve value via the App - it shows it set to what I want but the behaviour and Wizard show previous values set via the Wizard.

(Apologies in advance but the 67% seen in the top RH corner is the power level of your phone/tablet [sorry if you already know that]).

Cheers,

Harry E.
===

Anybody know how to trigger the update? I am still on 1.9.0

Weird, with my reserve set to 100% only whatever the solar is produces goes to the Powerwalls, my home is still fed by the grid.

View attachment 256783
View attachment 256784

May be a software bug where 100% causes the PW go not interact with the utility at all. Possibly a feature to prevent charging the PW during peak rate time (although that seems like it would be a separate option, setting for TOU particulars) have you tried one step down from 100%?

View attachment 256783
View attachment 256784
The Gateway can only tell what current is flowing to and from each endpoint. ie is power going in or out of each device (via inductively coupled Current Transformers). The Gateway and hence the App can't really tell where the electrons are going once there are more than two endpoints receiving power (ie a mesh).

In these instances I believe the App just has a simple logic of which motion diagram to display in these instances (which doesn't necessarily reflect reality in the instances where more than one end point is receiving power).

Now have 1.9.1 Have tested dropping the reserve down to force deeper discharge - this now works but the update time has now changed (ie used to change settings hourly on the hour). Have now cranked the reserve level right up to see if I can force charging the PW2 from the grid - will let you know
Mine was every hour around on the half hour (sliding from 30 minutes past to 36 minutes past now many months later). What is the new settings update frequency?

View attachment 256783
View attachment 256784
That's how it's supposed to work, and how mine has always worked. To discharge from the batteries, you must reduce reserve below 100%. To charge the batteries past solar provision, you must set Backup mode.

We still want more fine grained control. But in your case, I think it is also a misunderstanding of Tesla's limited number of modes. I believe this is a symptom of Tesla trying to oversimplify things and therefore not tell everyone everything, in the fear of less "trained" people asking too many questions and being confused. I think this is a mistake: lack of information, incorrect language use, and lack of control, make it harder for everyone to understand, not easier. If there was full control, correct language use (by Tesla's app), and full information, then the only support that would need to be done would be to the extremely "poorly trained" people, and in that case, we could give simple instructions that they can follow that would not be at all hard for them to do.

Hi - I am running App version 3.2.0 and Firmware 1.191
Perhaps you mean Firmware 1.9.1?
I am only controlling the PW2 via the iPhone App. The setting on the PW2 only updates hourly (at the same minute each hour) - so there will be a delay after you change the App Reserve setting.

I can't comment about your firmware version as I have never been on a version less than 1.8.x

I know the installer said it is much trickier to set up when the PW2 is connected via the home LAN to the Internet rather than the preferred 3G/4G connection to the Internet.

Suggest you log a call with Tesla as they are very good to deal with.
I would hate to use 3G/4G connection. I never heard of that available. Internet is much better. Why would you say it's worse where you are?

Anyway, if Tesla can't figure out how to use the Internet, then that's their fault, not anyone else's; they need to hire better programmers, in that case. That's just plain stupid.

Perhaps you mean Firmware 1.9.1?
I would hate to use 3G/4G connection. I never heard of that available. Internet is much better. Why would you say it's worse where you are?

Anyway, if Tesla can't figure out how to use the Internet, then that's their fault, not anyone else's; they need to hire better programmers, in that case. That's just plain stupid.
Yes 1.9.1 (did that update from a phone).

In Sydney we have a pretty solid 3G/4G network. The Tesla Gateway drives a "neurio" device with multiple inputs and has a SIM and aerial. The installer said the SIM has been paid for first 10 years by Tesla.

Using this gateway takes out any support issues associated with trying to connect via Customer's wireless network.