Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1. Best place to get second keyfob? and, 2. Can I program the second one from the control screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.. its as the subject says: Where/how can I pick up a replacement key fob so that I can have 2? So far it looks like I can take my chances on ebay, but not thrilled about that if I can avoid it.

also, the guy at the SC told me if I get one that I could pair it myself - which I thought was not the case. Is this true, and can anyone point me to the instructions for a 2015 model S? Google and forum search mostly leads me to model 3 or X stuff, and most product searches only land me on a gazillion types of covers I can buy...

TIA!

Several users here have reported that a fob from eBay have been successfully programmed by SeC to the car. As it’s second hand and always a gamble, you will have to accept that it might not come out as you desire. As your car is from 2015 then it can accept older fobs. If you want to upgrade the encryption of the keys then better order them from SeC (they need to exchange your old for news). Remember, bring all the keys to the service as they will need to program all of then again to the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: ayavner
Had Tesla Mobile Service come out yesterday they said if the key fob bought from Ebay was not deactivated from the vehicle it was activated for they cannot reprogramm it. I bought 2 from eBay they work (not broken) but are still tied to the vehicle they are activated for. When you buy from eBay make sure the seller has deactivated it from the vehicle.