Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 click away from ordering model Y

To buy it not buy !

• Stop procrastinating - order it now !

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Hold out a bit longer

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Treat yourself, red paint, white seats and autopilot !!

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

What a great forum.

I’m hoping for pearls of wisdom and some insight.

I’m one click away from ordering the model Y - I’m in the U.K. so costs are quite considerable compared to US prices for example I believe. This is one reason why I’ve not ordered yet - with the red paint and the white interior it’s almost £60,000.

I realise I could have standard white paint and black interior and it would save me £3,200 but base price of £55,000 the extra £3,200 to choose the spec I’d like seems insignificant.

Am I right in thinking if I’d like to add enhanced autopilot I can add this later ?

Model 3 was discounted as I have mobility issues and need a vehicle that’s easier to get in and out of and I found the model 3 a bit low.

I tend to keep my cars for 5-6 years on average so I want to get it right as it’s a considerable expense.

This will be a switch from Mercedes C class coupe to my first EV so it’s a mixture of excitement and the unknown !

Any personal experience and insights -
Encouragements or reasons to hold off buying would be very welcome.

Thank you all 🙏🏽

We recently switched from an ICE car to our MY LW AWD. It was a huge step up costwise for us, but 6 months in, we love it and have no regrets or complaints about our MY. I would recommend taking it for a long test drive on a variety of roads before hitting click just to be sure you like the ride. Some people complain about the stiff suspension. I can't speak to the specs, though, as we went with the standard white exterior and black exterior (my preference anyway). Good luck with your choice.

Unless UK regs are different (can't see why), you can add the autopilot at any point at the click of the button on the touchscreen. We also have a monthly option here in the US. It would make sense to trial for a month or two to ensure it actually does what you expect.

3200 is 6% more. You decide if that's worth it. It's still 3200. I paid the $1000 for blue paint happily.

The only thing I'm mad about is not ordering sooner. Initial estimated delivery date was Feb 2022; looks like my wait time was doubled from ~ 5 months to 10 months.

Worst case you cancel and loose the deposit.
Hello, thank him for your post. You’re quite right, I was thinking the same - worst case it’s only a small deposit I’d lose !

Sorry to hear about your extended wait. Have you got your car yet or still patiently waiting ?! Must be like Christmas Eve and Groundhog Day combined, all the anticipation of the waiting, the excitement and it going on and on !!

Unless UK regs are different (can't see why), you can add the autopilot at any point at the click of the button on the touchscreen. We also have a monthly option here in the US. It would make sense to trial for a month or two to ensure it actually does what you expect.

3200 is 6% more. You decide if that's worth it. It's still 3200. I paid the $1000 for blue paint happily.
Hello and thank you - ah that’s really good to know about the monthly option of the FSD.

Yes, it’s true what you say about the additional cost. I am torn between white and red. I definitely like the white interior though.

It’s good you got the blue - the blue is nice in all the different light.

Hello, thank him for your post. You’re quite right, I was thinking the same - worst case it’s only a small deposit I’d lose !

Sorry to hear about your extended wait. Have you got your car yet or still patiently waiting ?! Must be like Christmas Eve and Groundhog Day combined, all the anticipation of the waiting, the excitement and it going on and on !!
Nope, still waiting. Estimated delivery date is June/July.

It's an estimated date so hard to complain.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We recently switched from an ICE car to our MY LW AWD. It was a huge step up costwise for us, but 6 months in, we love it and have no regrets or complaints about our MY. I would recommend taking it for a long test drive on a variety of roads before hitting click just to be sure you like the ride. Some people complain about the stiff suspension. I can't speak to the specs, though, as we went with the standard white exterior and black exterior (my preference anyway). Good luck with your choice.
Great post with some sound advice. Thank you.

We had a decent test drive and I found the suspension just fine. It was a criticism of my Mercedes which is quite low so maybe I’m a little desensitised ?! ;)

It’s good to hear you’ve no regrets - you clearly made some excellent choices !

Does it take long to get used to all the controls being on screen as opposed to on a dash ?

Thanks for your insight.

I spent extra $3k USD for the Red paint with white seats! Best decision ever!
I've been surprised how unusual Red is. I assume a lot more people want it than actually buy it--as it obviously looks great.

My first time around I had to pay for white on my M3, second time around my MY came with white for free but I also paid for the white interior. No regrets.

The last thing you want to do is regret not making such an easy choice. Not sure I can say the same about FSD, it is whole other type of decision :)

I've been surprised how unusual Red is. I assume a lot more people want it than actually buy it--as it obviously looks great.

My first time around I had to pay for white on my M3, second time around my MY came with white for free but I also paid for the white interior. No regrets.

The last thing you want to do is regret not making such an easy choice. Not sure I can say the same about FSD, it is whole other type of decision :)
Thank you - really good insight there. That’s what I think - paying the base £55,000 and then not paying £2,100 for the red paint seems silly if that’s what I’d like.

Does the white interior mark easily or holding up okay with the general wear and tear ?

How are you find moving from M3 to MY?

I’m ignoring the price of the MSD at the moment and that’s an entirely different expense as you say haha ! Also not sure how it would manage as I live in a town surrounded my small country roads, some without road markings too. For now the included autopilot for the motorways should be enough (I hope)! 😂

I moved from ICE to EV in April 2020, right in the middle of the lockdowns, and before petrol prices started going to the stratosphere. I've never regretted my decision. Now I'm about to move from a white M3SR+ to a red MYLR with the Induction wheels. The reasons for me upgrading boil down to my aging knees and having more room for the kids and cargo. Since my wife already made the same move, I know what I'm getting into, and I can't wait.

As for the options, I say get the options that you want right up front. That way you won't have to worry about regrets. Sure, you pay more, but you will get more enjoyment out of your Tesla (if that's even possible). I would skip the FSD unless you know you want it now. You can always get it later.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Thank you - really good insight there. That’s what I think - paying the base £55,000 and then not paying £2,100 for the red paint seems silly if that’s what I’d like.

Does the white interior mark easily or holding up okay with the general wear and tear ?

How are you find moving from M3 to MY?

I’m ignoring the price of the MSD at the moment and that’s an entirely different expense as you say haha ! Also not sure how it would manage as I live in a town surrounded my small country roads, some without road markings too. For now the included autopilot for the motorways should be enough (I hope)! 😂
I don't think you'll have to worry too much about the white interior. It cleans easily and it's helped by the fact that it is easy to see when it's dirty so you clean it more often than you would a darker color.

The M3 was definitely sportier and therefore more fun to drive but the MY has more space (which we needed) and is plenty fun to drive on its own. The M3 seating position was also lower so it definitely required more flexibilty to get into/out of.

Drops,

I took delivery on my Model Y Long Range a couple of months ago, moving on from a Mercedes C-Class. I liked, but never loved, the C-Class, and got tired of sitting so low to the ground. Also, the car was getting a little tough for my wife to get in and out of. And opening the door was always an adventure if there was a high curb/kerb. Chose the MY over the M3 for the extra elevation and interior space.

I have the white interior, and love it. It is durable and easy to clean, not that I've ever had to clean it. I've always preferred light interiors as they just seem less claustrophobic when stuck in traffic.

The on-screen controls take a few minutes to learn, and then they become intuitive. The display is great for navigation, and watching videos while charging is great.

Good luck.

Reactions: mangrove79
Great post with some sound advice. Thank you.

We had a decent test drive and I found the suspension just fine. It was a criticism of my Mercedes which is quite low so maybe I’m a little desensitised ?! ;)

It’s good to hear you’ve no regrets - you clearly made some excellent choices !

Does it take long to get used to all the controls being on screen as opposed to on a dash ?

Thanks for your insight.
I did find the screen a little overly distracting at first. I've since learned to use the voice commands and the buttons on the steering wheel for most things, and like that much, much better.
In contract, my husband resists using the voice commands for some unknown reason and as a result, finds that he's "fiddling" with the screen too much at times.

If you're wondering about the one-pedal driving, it took me all of 5 minutes to become a diehard fan.

Also, I don't know if you need to do a lot of overtaking on your daily commutes, but I need to pass a lot of big trucks on curvy two-lane highways and the acceleration is just plain sick. For that alone, I'll never be able to go back to a run-of-the-mill ICE vehicle.

I did find the screen a little overly distracting at first. I've since learned to use the voice commands and the buttons on the steering wheel for most things, and like that much, much better.
In contract, my husband resists using the voice commands for some unknown reason and as a result, finds that he's "fiddling" with the screen too much at times.

If you're wondering about the one-pedal driving, it took me all of 5 minutes to become a diehard fan.

Also, I don't know if you need to do a lot of overtaking on your daily commutes, but I need to pass a lot of big trucks on curvy two-lane highways and the acceleration is just plain sick. For that alone, I'll never be able to go back to a run-of-the-mill ICE vehicle.
Excellent advice and such good insight. That’s really good to know about the voice commands. That feels much safer than fiddling with the screen too much.

The acceleration is very tempting too ! When I took it on a test drive my hair was blowing when I put my foot down haha!

Thanks so much 🙏🏽