Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 click away from ordering model Y

To buy it not buy !

• Stop procrastinating - order it now !

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Hold out a bit longer

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Treat yourself, red paint, white seats and autopilot !!

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drops,

I took delivery on my Model Y Long Range a couple of months ago, moving on from a Mercedes C-Class. I liked, but never loved, the C-Class, and got tired of sitting so low to the ground. Also, the car was getting a little tough for my wife to get in and out of. And opening the door was always an adventure if there was a high curb/kerb. Chose the MY over the M3 for the extra elevation and interior space.

I have the white interior, and love it. It is durable and easy to clean, not that I've ever had to clean it. I've always preferred light interiors as they just seem less claustrophobic when stuck in traffic.

The on-screen controls take a few minutes to learn, and then they become intuitive. The display is great for navigation, and watching videos while charging is great.

Good luck.
Hello, this is really helpful.
Like you, the interior space and easier accessibility make the MY the choice for me.
My C-class coupe is just that bit too low and also having a 4 door car will be very welcome.
Great to hear the white interior is easy to maintain too.
Thank you for your valuable insight.

Reactions: Tesraki
I'd wait for the price to come down from the current stratospheric levels. With the Berlin factory coming on line and increased competition from VW and others, the price should come down in the next 12 months. That being said, if you absolutely need to purchase a new car now, the definitely go for the Y. I purchased my Y back in May 2021, before most of the price increases. I doubt that I'd buy it at the current price. That being said, we do love our Y.

I'd wait for the price to come down from the current stratospheric levels. With the Berlin factory coming on line and increased competition from VW and others, the price should come down in the next 12 months. That being said, if you absolutely need to purchase a new car now, the definitely go for the Y. I purchased my Y back in May 2021, before most of the price increases. I doubt that I'd buy it at the current price. That being said, we do love our Y.
I’m sorry but other the home prices and associated building materials prices for cars and goods will Not come down. It’s the new norm and will not change. Especially with labor shortages and base pay quadrupling across the board prices will only continue to rise.

I’m sorry but other the home prices and associated building materials prices for cars and goods will Not come down. It’s the new norm and will not change. Especially with labor shortages and base pay quadrupling across the board prices will only continue to rise.
not really. Once the recession hits in full force, there will not be enough job for those slackers and the ripple effects will be huge. When consumers lose their power to buy things, the price has to come down.

@Drops Not to take away from anything that has been said in this thread, as a lot of it is useful, but you might also find you get some more market-relevant thoughts, experiences and pointers over in the UK forum. 👍 There are lots of helpful folks over there with Model Y's in the UK.

Only other thing I want to add is that they're amazing cars. If it meets your needs and affordability criteria, don't hesitate.

not really. Once the recession hits in full force, there will not be enough job for those slackers and the ripple effects will be huge. When consumers lose their power to buy things, the price has to come down.
And when that Ripple happens again like the past our government and our taxes will support those individuals. High end products (non-necessities) will not drop in price. A Tesla is Not a necessity.

I wished I had more experience with EAP before adding it. It’s been really disappointing. Primarily, as it doesn’t adjust speed automatically when speed signs are detected. It needs resistance on the steering wheel. I can change lanes faster than it can as I have to indicate for it to confirm the change. It hesitates changing lanes so times out when I would have moved. It’s stopped to many times while on Navigate on autopilot for no reason. I can park faster than it can. It also gets freaked out passing lorries and slows down. Probably, as the graphic shows the lorry jumping lanes randomly. I can uses for the summon on autopilot for tight spaces but it’s quicker to walk to the car than summoning it.

It generally doesn’t work well, for me. I could have save £3,400. Add acceleration boost instead. We’ll worth the upgrade in performance to an already fast car!

Reactions: Casss
I wished I had more experience with EAP before adding it. It’s been really disappointing. Primarily, as it doesn’t adjust speed automatically when speed signs are detected. It needs resistance on the steering wheel. I can change lanes faster than it can as I have to indicate for it to confirm the change. It hesitates changing lanes so times out when I would have moved. It’s stopped to many times while on Navigate on autopilot for no reason. I can park faster than it can. It also gets freaked out passing lorries and slows down. Probably, as the graphic shows the lorry jumping lanes randomly. I can uses for the summon on autopilot for tight spaces but it’s quicker to walk to the car than summoning it.

It generally doesn’t work well, for me. I could have save £3,400. Add acceleration boost instead. We’ll worth the upgrade in performance to an already fast car!
I'd second this, personally, atleast for driving in the UK. Had EAP on previous Model S, left it off this time round and don't feel I'm missing out on anything for the cost.

Reactions: Undecided_2
I have ordered MYLR with 19" Gemini wheels because I want maximum ride comfort from this car. Unfortunately Model Y suspension is the stiffest among all Teslas. I like very much how MYP looks, but ride comfort is more important for me now after having Volvo S60 T6 with sports chassis and low-profile tires.

So don't hesitate, just click that damn "order" button and join the club ;)

Price will not go down. We are dealing with record inflation and huge demand. It only, even more, goes up in the next 12 months.

I'll be a bit of a contrarian of the 3 vs Y debate. I bought the Y originally because I thought it would be easier to get into. Surprise, surprise, it was. One of the reasons I sold it though was once I got in, it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. I had ordered an S at the same time as the Y.

Waited almost a year to get the S and it was a lot more comfortable and not much harder to get in than the Y. My wife did't like the size of the Y and sold it an got her a 3. In the middle of all this I developed a really bad knee issue (too many years of motorcycle racing will do that).

I have found that her 3 is actually more comfortable for me once I finally get in the car than the Y was. It has more leg room and in the Y my left leg (the one with the knee issue) has to angle more in toward the pedals than how it felt on the Y. It feels like the dead pedal is more to the right on the Y than on the 3. So my legs are more straight out than the 3 than the Y. It was even noticeable before I had the knee issue.

I just tried a Y again, and now the bend would be intolerable for me long term. My right leg was fine but the console does impinge it a bit.

From a driving dynamics and efficiency perspective, the 3 is far more efficient and a lot more fun to drive, not to mention a lot cheaper. It is also more comfortable to drive on long trips for me than the Y because of the leg positioning. I found a way that I can get into almost as easily as the Y. If you haven't tried a 3, I'd say try it and see if it is really that bad. I originally thought the 3 was far worse to get in than the Y but after leaving with the 3 for some time, it is much closer than I thought.

As for color, buy what makes you happy. I was really leaning toward the red on both cars. I think they could have done a deeper, nicer red. Something on the order of what Lexus does would have been awesome.

I, like the others, doubt that pricing will improve any time soon, if ever. I see 2024 as when the competition gets meaningful, and Tesla already has a fat order pipeline to weather the recession fear.

But...if one is looking to buy a LR, put in the order and the $250 order fee. It's not refundable, but if there is a marked drop in pricing or sales promotion, it will be for thousands. Take the small loss and go back to the end of the line, or to that alternative brand. This strategy won't work for the P where delivery can be expected shortly, but fine for anything with a 2023 delivery date. $250 is a cheap hedge.

Back in early Feb, I put a (refundable) deposit on the Rivian and then the $250 order on the Tesla while I continued to examine the options. It was obvious by the end of the month that it was the Y or nothing (meeting my requirements) in 2022.

Reactions: Corndart
Rather doubt we'll see Tesla prices come down on the current models. SR/RWD is a different story, but then we're not talking about price reduction, we're talking about segmentation where a lesser model is available for a commensurately lower price.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
I'll be a bit of a contrarian of the 3 vs Y debate. I bought the Y originally because I thought it would be easier to get into. Surprise, surprise, it was. One of the reasons I sold it though was once I got in, it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. I had ordered an S at the same time as the Y.

Waited almost a year to get the S and it was a lot more comfortable and not much harder to get in than the Y. My wife did't like the size of the Y and sold it an got her a 3. In the middle of all this I developed a really bad knee issue (too many years of motorcycle racing will do that).

I have found that her 3 is actually more comfortable for me once I finally get in the car than the Y was. It has more leg room and in the Y my left leg (the one with the knee issue) has to angle more in toward the pedals than how it felt on the Y. It feels like the dead pedal is more to the right on the Y than on the 3. So my legs are more straight out than the 3 than the Y. It was even noticeable before I had the knee issue.

I just tried a Y again, and now the bend would be intolerable for me long term. My right leg was fine but the console does impinge it a bit.

From a driving dynamics and efficiency perspective, the 3 is far more efficient and a lot more fun to drive, not to mention a lot cheaper. It is also more comfortable to drive on long trips for me than the Y because of the leg positioning. I found a way that I can get into almost as easily as the Y. If you haven't tried a 3, I'd say try it and see if it is really that bad. I originally thought the 3 was far worse to get in than the Y but after leaving with the 3 for some time, it is much closer than I thought.

As for color, buy what makes you happy. I was really leaning toward the red on both cars. I think they could have done a deeper, nicer red. Something on the order of what Lexus does would have been awesome.
So if the OP has a motorcycle leg injury he should buy a model 3. Understood.

So if the OP has a motorcycle leg injury he should buy a model 3. Understood.
I guess there is one one in every bunch as the saying goes. You really added a lot to this discussion.

As for motorcycling, I have a lot more injuries than just the new one that constricts my mobility in other areas but the knee one is an issue every day now. When I bought the Y, I thought it would give me a car that would be easier for me to enter/exit at some point. I would have never thought the 3 would be better for me. Turns out I didn't get what I thought I would with respect to ease of entry and exit with the Y and the 3 is better for me.

The point is to not make assumptions but to try the vehicle if possible. I found the Y to be less comfortable than my 3 before my injury became an issue. The specs on paper don't always tell the entire story. While the Y is vastly taller than the 3, it really doesn't translate much into headroom (0.7"). The 3 has almost an inch more legroom.

My 80 year old father in-law, who is disabled, was easily able to enter or exit the 3 or Y as another point of reference. The entry technique differs a bit though. Again I would encourage the OP, or anyone else, to try the 3 and Y a few times before making a decision. Some comparative specs below. I really think the Y could have done more with space it had internally. They gave a lot more leg room to the rear passengers but at some expense to the front passengers leg room.

1654953947253.png

While you are waiting to order, price went up again as did the waiting list. Kidding on price, unless it was a total coincidence. 😆

Get the size that fits your needs. The Y works great for the family and has more interior space to haul things. That was most important to me.

Ride is stiff MYP. Slightly better when I swap the wheels in the winter for 19” with snow tires.

I guess there is one one in every bunch as the saying goes. You really added a lot to this discussion.

As for motorcycling, I have a lot more injuries than just the new one that constricts my mobility in other areas but the knee one is an issue every day now. When I bought the Y, I thought it would give me a car that would be easier for me to enter/exit at some point. I would have never thought the 3 would be better for me. Turns out I didn't get what I thought I would with respect to ease of entry and exit with the Y and the 3 is better for me.

The point is to not make assumptions but to try the vehicle if possible. I found the Y to be less comfortable than my 3 before my injury became an issue. The specs on paper don't always tell the entire story. While the Y is vastly taller than the 3, it really doesn't translate much into headroom (0.7"). The 3 has almost an inch more legroom.

My 80 year old father in-law, who is disabled, was easily able to enter or exit the 3 or Y as another point of reference. The entry technique differs a bit though. Again I would encourage the OP, or anyone else, to try the 3 and Y a few times before making a decision. Some comparative specs below. I really think the Y could have done more with space it had internally. They gave a lot more leg room to the rear passengers but at some expense to the front passengers leg room.

View attachment 815396
One in every bunch yet you continue to say why it works best in your case (which is fine) but not relevant to the OP’s original question and confirmation that the 3 was Not easier to enter! “Model 3 was discounted as I have mobility issues and need a vehicle that’s easier to get in and out of and I found the model 3 a bit low.”! Your pushing to sway his factual point based on Your issue. I have drive both and the Y is MUCH easier to enter then the 3.

Reactions: OmbreCake