Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 click away from ordering model Y

To buy it not buy !

• Stop procrastinating - order it now !

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Hold out a bit longer

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Treat yourself, red paint, white seats and autopilot !!

Votes: 25 28.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One in every bunch yet you continue to say why it works best in your case (which is fine) but not relevant to the OP’s original question and confirmation that the 3 was Not easier to enter! “Model 3 was discounted as I have mobility issues and need a vehicle that’s easier to get in and out of and I found the model 3 a bit low.”! Your pushing to sway his factual point based on Your issue. I have drive both and the Y is MUCH easier to enter then the 3.
both cars are harder to get in and out than other cars and suvs because the lower plastic trim piece and door seal are sticking out more than other cars. I keep hitting that trim with my foot when getting in and out.

@Drops Not to take away from anything that has been said in this thread, as a lot of it is useful, but you might also find you get some more market-relevant thoughts, experiences and pointers over in the UK forum. 👍 There are lots of helpful folks over there with Model Y's in the UK.

Only other thing I want to add is that they're amazing cars. If it meets your needs and affordability criteria, don't hesitate.
Hello, nice to hear from you. Can you
Somehow point me in the direction of the U.K. forum too please ? Thank you :)

I guess there is one one in every bunch as the saying goes. You really added a lot to this discussion.

As for motorcycling, I have a lot more injuries than just the new one that constricts my mobility in other areas but the knee one is an issue every day now. When I bought the Y, I thought it would give me a car that would be easier for me to enter/exit at some point. I would have never thought the 3 would be better for me. Turns out I didn't get what I thought I would with respect to ease of entry and exit with the Y and the 3 is better for me.

The point is to not make assumptions but to try the vehicle if possible. I found the Y to be less comfortable than my 3 before my injury became an issue. The specs on paper don't always tell the entire story. While the Y is vastly taller than the 3, it really doesn't translate much into headroom (0.7"). The 3 has almost an inch more legroom.

My 80 year old father in-law, who is disabled, was easily able to enter or exit the 3 or Y as another point of reference. The entry technique differs a bit though. Again I would encourage the OP, or anyone else, to try the 3 and Y a few times before making a decision. Some comparative specs below. I really think the Y could have done more with space it had internally. They gave a lot more leg room to the rear passengers but at some expense to the front passengers leg room.

View attachment 815396
Many thanks for your input. It’s helpful to hear experiences.

I’ve had a test drive of both the M3 And MY and found the M3 low, like my Mercedes. I like sitting up a bit higher too and the boot space is a ++ for me to fill with crap haha !

Glad you found the right car for your needs 👍🏻

Reactions: DayTrippin
Deposit paid ! Thank you all for your input and advice. Now the wait begins 🤣
OK great, now listen to me very carefully.

Welcome to the "pre-delivery-accessory-shopping-frenzy-stage" of the Tesla experience. Kiss your wallet goodbye, and write an apology letter to your future children or grandchildren explaining why there is no inheritance. It will make the inevitable easier. Also tell them it was worth it, and no they don't get the Tesla. You're being buried in it Sutton-hoo style.

• Love
Reactions: mangrove79
Deposit paid ! Thank you all for your input and advice. Now the wait begins 🤣
It’s unlikely that you’ll get any updates from Tesla until the car has arrived in the U.K. and on its way to the service centre. You can get stressed out trying to make contact online/phone but it’s not worth it. The people on the other don’t know or not allowed to tell you much. I checked my account source code for a VIN after a week and when I saw it appear I got excited. But it was way to soon!

Sit back and do as many other things as possible and don’t think about the car, and ignore people complaining on here. It’s the way Tesla do things.

If buying accessories, I'd suggest waiting to you get the car to see what you really need or wait until very close to delivery so you have a return window if they aren't what you thought you need. I bought some things in advance based on others' feedback and while some were great, others were not so. Fortunately I didn't order them when I ordered the car and I could return them and get something better suited.

Now you enter the hardest phase, waiting for the car. Hopefully no delivery issues when it finally arrives. I hope it meets your expectations when you finally get it.

Reactions: beemerphile
OK great, now listen to me very carefully.

Welcome to the "pre-delivery-accessory-shopping-frenzy-stage" of the Tesla experience. Kiss your wallet goodbye, and write an apology letter to your future children or grandchildren explaining why there is no inheritance. It will make the inevitable easier. Also tell them it was worth it, and no they don't get the Tesla. You're being buried in it Sutton-hoo style.
I would resist all of this except floor mats. Live with the car for a month or so and figure out what you need.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
Thanks all ! Sound advice.

I’m just going to forget about it now for a few months - I’m a cool cucumber type so I’ll take it all in my stride and see what I feel like when the car arrives.

I splashed out on the paint and white interior so no accessories for a while.
Dec 4 -Jan 18th listed at the mo on the app. So just a little wait 😉
Congrats! A GREAT decision you will not regret. I’m happy you ordered the red/white combo you fancied. You only buy your first Tesla once! Maybe don’t install the app right away. I was a cool cucumber until I had that big red “T“ on my Home Screen beckoning me to check, several times a day at one point, how many days remained until my date with electrified bliss.

Reactions: Drops
Congrats! A GREAT decision you will not regret. I’m happy you ordered the red/white combo you fancied. You only buy your first Tesla once! Maybe don’t install the app right away. I was a cool cucumber until I had that big red “T“ on my Home Screen beckoning me to check, several times a day at one point, how many days remained until my date with electrified bliss.
Aaah thanks. What a nice messsge.
Haha ! The red T is on my homepage but I’m ignoring it for now. When it gets a bit closer I’ll get clued up on it all.

I actually feel really fortunate to have something like this to look forward to and makes me get more excited as I have to wait. It’ll be nice if it arrives in time for Christmas as they are festive colours the red and white 😀

Reactions: OmbreCake
Personally, the prices right now are too crazy for me to buy another one.. that said if you are going to get it.. spend the extra on the red paint and white interior. No offense to anyone here.. but the black interior is flat-out boring. All of us have ridden thousands of miles in a car with an all-black interior. It adds nothing to the experience other than the ability to help hide dirt. The keyword here is hide.. because black seats still get exactly as dirty.. its just not as easy to see. Meanwhile literally, everyone who has ridden in my car is absolutely curious about the white seats. Even my 4-year-old twins. They want to ride in the car with the "white seats Daddy". My wife has a red ID.4 with black seats.. so that's how they label the difference. The white interior looks better, stays cooler in the summer with the full glass roof, and is surprisingly easy to clean. Every month or so.. I wipe down the white seats with warm water and a bit of baby shampoo.

As for the red paint.. it absolutely pops in all light. Of course, I'm completely biased and paid an extra $2,000 for the red paint option.. but I get non-stop compliments on it. Even from other Tesla owners.. who regret they just didn't have a color that stands out. Especially from those that chose the free white paint. And it's not even because the white paint looks bad.. it actually looks fantastic!! All 5 colors do. The white has a pearlescent glow to it. But with the white paint being free.. it's just way, way too popular. White paint is so popular now I have literally seen people pulling on door handles trying to unlock the WRONG car. You pull into a Supercharger and see pretty much all white.. a few black or silver.. and maybe one blue.

Guess what color you don't see? Red w/white interior is also the most exotic combo Tesla sells. It's the "press" color for most of their vehicles when shown on the website. Don't spend $70K on a new vehicle.. and regret it because you didn't want to spend $73K. You will never notice the difference in the monthly car payment. You will notice that every other Tesla seems to look exactly like yours.. because you cheaped out on colors.

Last edited:
I was all in on the white interior but I saw enough vids on YouTube with my use case (small child), and posts here, that said they got a stain they couldn't get out. While it holds up pretty well in a lot of situations, I've seen what forgetting a lollipop can look like even on dark colored seats. The real problem for me is the bright dash color that reflected terribly in bright sun in bright sun when I took a test drive in the M3 that was Red/White.

If I had no kids living with me I'd absolutely do the white and be careful with what jeans I sat in the car with. I've have seen blue denim transfer to a friends 3 with white interior. It did not come off.

Personally, the prices right now are too crazy for me to buy another one.. that said if you are going to get it.. spend the extra on the red paint and white interior. No offense to anyone here.. but the black interior is flat-out boring. All of us have ridden thousands of miles in a car with an all-black interior. It adds nothing to the experience other than the ability to help hide dirt. The keyword here is hide.. because black seats still get exactly as dirty.. its just not as easy to see. Meanwhile literally, everyone who has ridden in my car is absolutely curious about the white seats. Even my 4-year-old twins. They want to ride in the car with the "white seats Daddy". My wife has a red ID.4 with black seats.. so that's how they label the difference. The white interior looks better, stays cooler in the summer with the full glass roof, and is surprisingly easy to clean. Every month or so.. I wipe down the white seats with warm water and a bit of baby shampoo.

As for the red paint.. it absolutely pops in all light. Of course, I'm completely biased and paid an extra $2,000 for the red paint option.. but I get non-stop compliments on it. Even from other Tesla owners.. who regret they just didn't have a color that stands out. Especially from those that chose the free white paint. And it's not even because the white paint looks bad.. it actually looks fantastic!! All 5 colors do. The white has a pearlescent glow to it. But with the white paint being free.. it's just way, way too popular. White paint is so popular now I have literally seen people pulling on door handles trying to unlock the WRONG car. You pull into a Supercharger and see pretty much all white.. a few black or silver.. and maybe one blue.

Guess what color you don't see? Red w/white interior is also the most exotic combo Tesla sells. It's the "press" color for most of their vehicles when shown on the website. Don't spend $70K on a new vehicle.. and regret it because you didn't want to spend $73K. You will never notice the difference in the monthly car payment. You will notice that every other Tesla seems to look exactly like yours.. because you cheaped out on colors.
It all depends on what matters to you ))
I can say about me.. I ordered white MYLR with black interior ) And I didn't order Performance only because I want to have a more comfortable ride, and not because I can't afford $10K more. I ordered white exterior - because it more practical in summer. And black interior - because I don't like the white color of the seats. To me it looks weird... On Model S they now have new Walnut Decor interior, which unfortunately not available for Y, so.. black is fine. I had a fully loaded Volvo with brown leather seats and when I drive my wife's Honda after that, I am absolutely fine that those seats are black )) Brown seats in Volvo were cool for 1-2 months and then I just got used to it, like nothing special. So I personally by Tesla because of the completely new driving experience, and all those color selections - not really matter )

Reactions: cusetownusa

Great post - thank you.

A few days ago I hit the order button and ordered MY red with white interior ! Just as you say I was thinking what I’d another £3200 when I’m already spending £55,000!
In the U.K. a Tesla is already very expensive priced above both Audi and Mercedes compact SUV EV so I’ve had to accept that in my purchase.
Happy to go ahead though and drive a car of the future !
Just need to be patient now 🙏🏽

Great post - thank you.

A few days ago I hit the order button and ordered MY red with white interior ! Just as you say I was thinking what I’d another £3200 when I’m already spending £55,000!
In the U.K. a Tesla is already very expensive priced above both Audi and Mercedes compact SUV EV so I’ve had to accept that in my purchase.
You will love it! Literally, the only regret I have.. is not doing it sooner!

Well and not going for the Performance version lol

Great post - thank you.

I think you are going to love it and wish you ordered one sooner. I am going on over 1500 miles (Early May delivery) in my MY and love it. I had been eyeing the Model Y well before they even started producing them and finally pulled the trigger last September. Its the combined overall experience that I am hooked on (i.e. EV drivetrain-aka instant smooth torque, charging at home, 1 pedal driving, cheap to fuel relatively speaking-wish I had solar, UI infotainment screen/system, supercharger network, glass roof, storage space, no exhaust, keep climate temp on or precondition cabin anywhere -even in garage or running into a store, sentry mode, frunk but wish it was powered, low maintenance, minimalism interior, etc.)

At the current prices I have a hard time going out of way to recommend people to purchase one but with that said, if I had to buy a car now there isn't any other one I would want in this price range and wouldn't want to settle for less of a car just to save a few dollars. Would love to replace my wife's Telluride with an X but those prices are just ridiculous for a 6 seater.

I also added the performance boost which is great. A completely unnecessary purchase as the car is already very fast. However, it did come in handy the other day when a yellow corvette C8 challenged me to a race. lol

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Daekwan and Art84