Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, new research shows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging at home, with a decent permanent set-up.
Range easily beating frequent needs.
Challenge-free charging for trips outside of range.

Our Kona's front-left charge port is a bit less convenient for us than the left-front-fender position on our Volt. It was made worse by having a cover over the J1772 making it more fiddly. Also, if I just turn the car off without putting it in park first it sometimes doesn't unlock the charge port.

I've removed the J1772 port cover, use park then off, but mainly we've stopped plugging in every day. Depending on who has the car for the week and time of year we can plug in 2 to 4 times per week. Plug-unplug is conservatively 20 seconds each time.

For our 1,000 miles per month plus average, 2-3 times per week is faster than just the pumping time for our Prius.

But, we haven't yet had need to DCFC because our regular Saturday driving is all comfortably within 90% of range, with it being at worst 112 miles, 108 miles of Interstate, and longer distances being off Interstate.

If we had to do regular DCFC, we might feel differently, although the most likely route outside of range has decent charging coverage.

I was in a rental with a Model 3 SR and it worked out fine for trickle charging there, and then charging at work. Its easy to own a EV if you charge while you're out and take advantage of local charging spots while you run errands.

I don't think alot of folks will be switching back from EV's with what gas prices are about to do...

Seems like the greatest % of owners going back to ICE were those taking advantage of super low lease rates or huge tax incentives that are no longer available. They bought the EV due to low net pricing. Now buying a new ICE for the same reason.

Those Fiat 500's were almost being given away to gain the manufacturer offset credits that would allow them to sell even more larger vehicles.

Article headlines were very misleading and click bait.

As an aside, it would be interesting to know how many folks that have leased a fuel cell car plan to lease another one.
On that aside, as of May 1st 2021: 10,361 fuel cell vehicles sold and leased in the USA.
At the end of March 2021 PHEV and BEV sales/leases since 2010 were cumulatively at 1,818,473 vehicles sold and leased in the USA.
BEV over 60% of the sales. August 2020 is was 62.7%, with BEV having reached 1 million that month.

Reactions: wws
On that aside, as of May 1st 2021: 10,361 fuel cell vehicles sold and leased in the USA.
At the end of March 2021 PHEV and BEV sales/leases since 2010 were cumulatively at 1,818,473 vehicles sold and leased in the USA.
BEV over 60% of the sales. August 2020 is was 62.7%, with BEV having reached 1 million that month.

Interesting stats. I have a friend that is leasing a Mirai. Need to ask him what he's going to do when the lease is up.