TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

#1 Large Luxury Car In US = Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Model S M.D., Jan 21, 2016.

1. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The writer of that article is basically quoting what TMC member @RobStark posted recently.

3. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

WOW.... not unexpected but still nice to see. I wonder how much of those lost sales where due to Tesla... seeing as how every other segment saw a rise in sales last year probably most of them.

4. tstafford

tstafford Member

Certainly great news for all the reasons we understand. It's an excellent product and it's good to see that people are recognizing that.

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

The writer is TMC member ZachShahan..

6. Vitold

Vitold Member

I think taking such narrow view at the car market makes conclusions unfair and likely meaningless since Tesla S buyers have no choice of buying other types/sizes of EVs. It's either large luxury EV or bust.

On the other hand it's interesting that sum of all the cars in the table almost zeros out where Tesla's surplus offsets ICE deficit.

7. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I have posted a similar thread the last two years.

Last year insideevs.com wrote an article on it.

It has sorta become my thing. :smile:

8. electracity

electracity Active Member

Well, Zach + Robstark = maximum Tesla.

The other way to look at U.S. luxury car sales is to say that Tesla did beat Maserati. But that is not nearly as exciting as interpreting the data as saying "Tesla is#1".

In ten years, luxury market share should be fascinating. If it is dominated by Lexus with fuel cell vehicle I will shoot myself.

9. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

I think I have a greater chance at winning the PowerBall lotto than that happening. And I don't play the lottery.

10. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I don't mind giving local public schools an extra ~$20 of my money per year.

Yeah,it also gives some bureaucrats ~$1.25 and some very lucky people ~$3.75 but don't mind that either.

- - - Updated - - -

Not any single statistic will give you a full and accurate picture of the full breadth of the auto industry.

And I never claimed it was that.

11. McRat

McRat Active Member

#11 McRat, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Very cool that Tesla is selling more than MB S-class.

The more pragmatic view however, is due to CAFE, the "large" sedans aren't anymore.

People who want large sedans migrated to various sizes of luxury SUVs, which sell far more units than the sedans do.

So if the question is, which luxury land yachts sell the best, you sort of have to include what they were actually buying in 2015. Even Tesla saw the winds of change, hence the Model X.

The long dead Lincoln Continental and Sedan De Ville are now fashion badged station wagons CUV/SUV's.

I'm not sure I even know what a Cadillac SRX is, not sure I've seen one. It certainly isn't a rock star in the luxury market, but they sold 70,000 last year.
    The Mercedes big-ass GL SUV sold 28k in 2015 in the US, and that's only one of 7 CUV/SUV models they have.