Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#1 Large Luxury Car In US = Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think taking such narrow view at the car market makes conclusions unfair and likely meaningless since Tesla S buyers have no choice of buying other types/sizes of EVs. It's either large luxury EV or bust.

On the other hand it's interesting that sum of all the cars in the table almost zeros out where Tesla's surplus offsets ICE deficit.

I think taking such narrow view at the car market makes conclusions unfair and likely meaningless since Tesla S buyers have no choice of buying other types/sizes of EVs. It's either large luxury EV or bust.

On the other hand it's interesting that sum of all the cars in the table almost zeros out where Tesla's surplus offsets ICE deficit.

Well, Zach + Robstark = maximum Tesla.

The other way to look at U.S. luxury car sales is to say that Tesla did beat Maserati. But that is not nearly as exciting as interpreting the data as saying "Tesla is#1".

In ten years, luxury market share should be fascinating. If it is dominated by Lexus with fuel cell vehicle I will shoot myself.

I think I have a greater chance at winning the PowerBall lotto than that happening. And I don't play the lottery.

I don't mind giving local public schools an extra ~$20 of my money per year.

Yeah,it also gives some bureaucrats ~$1.25 and some very lucky people ~$3.75 but don't mind that either.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Zach + Robstark = maximum Tesla.

The other way to look at U.S. luxury car sales is to say that Tesla did beat Maserati. But that is not nearly as exciting as interpreting the data as saying "Tesla is#1".

Not any single statistic will give you a full and accurate picture of the full breadth of the auto industry.

And I never claimed it was that.

Very cool that Tesla is selling more than MB S-class.

The more pragmatic view however, is due to CAFE, the "large" sedans aren't anymore.

People who want large sedans migrated to various sizes of luxury SUVs, which sell far more units than the sedans do.

So if the question is, which luxury land yachts sell the best, you sort of have to include what they were actually buying in 2015. Even Tesla saw the winds of change, hence the Model X.

The long dead Lincoln Continental and Sedan De Ville are now fashion badged station wagons CUV/SUV's.

I'm not sure I even know what a Cadillac SRX is, not sure I've seen one. It certainly isn't a rock star in the luxury market, but they sold 70,000 last year.
The Mercedes big-ass GL SUV sold 28k in 2015 in the US, and that's only one of 7 CUV/SUV models they have.

Last edited: