Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Million Miles? What are you on track for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The million mile stated life goal is a steaming pile of bull, engines and transmissions which the lack of are some of the biggest differences for EVs but are NOT what often sends cars to the junkyard. Cars go there when lots of little crap is going wrong and lots of little repairs start to make the car not worth keeping. The rest of the car is just a car, some of it made by other car manufacturers so even if the battery/motor/gearbox are amazing and will go that long the rest of the car wont.

With the repairs my 80K mile Model S has needed I am very confident in my assertion. Still a happy Tesla owner, very happy just not a koolaid drinker.

FWIW, what I measure is miles until the car is free. Model 3 will require about 250k miles (my LEAF will require 100k miles) assuming LEAF-life maintenance costs with my 3.
I didn't think I'd ever get to 250k miles in my 3, until I got my 3...
2k miles/mo so far...15k in 7.5mo so far.
~10yrs to a totally free car.
Probably less, since we are a year from being empty nesters and our annual mileage will increase once we are liberated and traveling the US.
Incredibly, it is possible/probable to drive free of charge anywhere in America.

That is one way of looking at it. I did the same when I got my electric motorcycle. Just had to put 30K on it to pay for it. Gonna be much harder to pay off $65,000 since the car it is replacing got 70 mpg and with all the oil incentives gas pricing just isn't what it is in Europe. But yeah, that one million miles trick is what I am counting on so I don't have to buy another car this lifetime. Same with the Sprinter RV.

-Randy

The million mile stated life goal is a steaming pile of bull, engines and transmissions which the lack of are some of the biggest differences for EVs but are NOT what often sends cars to the junkyard. Cars go there when lots of little crap is going wrong and lots of little repairs start to make the car not worth keeping. The rest of the car is just a car, some of it made by other car manufacturers so even if the battery/motor/gearbox are amazing and will go that long the rest of the car wont.

With the repairs my 80K mile Model S has needed I am very confident in my assertion. Still a happy Tesla owner, very happy just not a koolaid drinker.

Model S?

You are determining the longevity of a Model 3 by comparing it to a Model S?
They are 2 totally different cars.

There are 9,860 unique parts in a Tesla Model 3
There are exactly 32,768 parts in a Tesla Model S

Last edited:
Low part count doesn't imply longevity: the Mazda RX-8's Wankel rotary engine has only a few moving parts, but would flood if turned off before being warmed up, burned oil by design, got very poor gas mileage, and was prone to eating apex seals. Examples over 100,000 miles are very rare.

The Model 3 is a much simpler design than the Model S, but the critical components have to be very well designed and manufactured to get anywhere close to 1 million miles.

For my part, I only average about 400 miles a week, but I'm planning to keep the car around 8 years in a climate with extreme weather variation, which will stress other aspects of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
Model S?

You are determining the longevity of a Model 3 by comparing it to a Model S?
They are 2 totally different cars.

There are 9,860 unique parts in a Tesla Model 3
There are exactly 32,768 parts in a Tesla Model S
Yes I am because people were making the million mile claim on the S as well.
Besides you know how absurd it is to make the claim on a car that is just a year old and I haven't heard of one hitting 100K yet. They start hitting 300K in volume and let's revisit, till then it is just a pipe dream.

Even things like the windshield on basically all cars could use replacement by 200k due to etching by road debris. Rubber bushings fail, the plastic bushings in power seat sliders wear and crack, window switches. Cars wear out when a lot of little crap makes them not worth the hassle anymore.

I have experience daily driving cars over 200K miles only because I could do the repairs myself. People who are paying for labor ditch a car once the repair labor begins to approach a significant portion of the vehicle value, and labor is expensive. They have a 15yo car and put up with the heater only working on the top 3 speeds, the AC being marginal, the back left window not going down, the seats wobbling and then the repair shop says they need $1500 in brake work because the soft lines are bulging and the caliper bleeders seized, rotors worn down and instead of spending the money they ditch it. Aside from rust every car is million mile capable in you replace enough parts along the way.

Yes I am because people were making the million mile claim on the S as well.
Besides you know how absurd it is to make the claim on a car that is just a year old and I haven't heard of one hitting 100K yet. They start hitting 300K in volume and let's revisit, till then it is just a pipe dream.

Even things like the windshield on basically all cars could use replacement by 200k due to etching by road debris. Rubber bushings fail, the plastic bushings in power seat sliders wear and crack, window switches. Cars wear out when a lot of little crap makes them not worth the hassle anymore.

I have experience daily driving cars over 200K miles only because I could do the repairs myself. People who are paying for labor ditch a car once the repair labor begins to approach a significant portion of the vehicle value, and labor is expensive. They have a 15yo car and put up with the heater only working on the top 3 speeds, the AC being marginal, the back left window not going down, the seats wobbling and then the repair shop says they need $1500 in brake work because the soft lines are bulging and the caliper bleeders seized, rotors worn down and instead of spending the money they ditch it. Aside from rust every car is million mile capable in you replace enough parts along the way.

First of all, I think its absurd to compare the Model 3 to any ICE related defects.

Second of all I believe its irresponsible to try and predict the failure of any car that has only been in existence for a year.

I'll report back to you around 300k ( with no service calls ) and we'll get some additional predictions.

Forgot to mention that I had my front motor replaced under warranty after two weeks of ownership due to a "power reduced" warning that was diagnosed as some kind of "out of phase" issue.

If you don't see how this relates to the ICE issue, you're missing the point: a highly stressed part that is improperly designed or imprecisely manufactured is unlikely to achieve is lifespan goals. It doesn't matter if that part is inside an ICE, an EV, a rocket or a bicycle.

All I'm saying is that my Model 3 isn't off to a great start to 1 million miles with one of its two motors having already been replaced. The exception doesn't prove the rule, but we'll need to establish what an acceptable failure rate is before claiming Tesla has built a motor capable of 1 million miles.

I think it has been established. I posted the numbers. Its unfortunate that you are one in 130k+, however there has already been an accumulative 1million miles driven by 3's.

Now....we have to wait and watch the next million come in .5 years instead of a year ( as deliveries keep flying out of the Fremont door ).

A fleet average lifespan of 1 million miles per motor is not an achievement. Every modern mass-produced vehicle gets many times that. By that standard, Lexus probably gets over 10 billion miles per motor.

The untested claim is whether a single Tesla drivetrain can last a million miles. There are people putting a lot of miles on their Model 3, but they'll all be passed by fleets running the Tesla Semi.

A fleet average lifespan of 1 million miles per motor is not an achievement. Every modern mass-produced vehicle gets many times that. By that standard, Lexus probably gets over 10 billion miles per motor.

The untested claim is whether a single Tesla drivetrain can last a million miles. There are people putting a lot of miles on their Model 3, but they'll all be passed by fleets running the Tesla Semi.

One step at a time grasshopper.

This is the fastest model of Tesla to reach 1 million miles.