Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 month of ownership of my first Tesla and I have these questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having watched Wham Bam TeslaCam and other Tesla related videos, I assumed that the TeslaCam was going to be better than the Thinkware F770 professionally installed in my outgoing Hyundai Ioniq electric. So yes, I'm disappointed that it's actually not as good and I'm balking at the prospect of spending £350 getting a decent front+back dashcam in there. I'll be looking for an installer in North Birmingham.
I had a BlackVue dashcam expertly installed by Holbon
They came to my place in Shrewsbury and the install was flawless, not a wire to be seen :)

That's a limitation of the iPhone, not the Tesla and you'll find it on any other car. Technically it's intended for security so that no-one can use one of those lovely hacks to get at data on your handset because Apple simply disabled that part of the stack.
That’s not true, I’ve had cars that let me browse my music/Apple Music library on iOS via Bluetooth.

I make that distinction between music and Apple Music because I was able to do this so long ago in one of my cars that Apple Music as we know it today didn’t even exist

Reactions: DM206433
Sounds like the OP fell for hype around the tech. Many of us did with the music and sat nav severely lacking, especially when you enter an area with no mobile signal, then it gets scary unless you know where you're going.

You get used to it though just like we coped in the nineties and used our phones to fill the gaps. So weird and a shame though as the rest of the car is pretty good.

Love my MS 75D.
I have four questions.
Before I tweet @elonmusk, maybe you can help.
  1. Why are there gaps in all TeslaCam recordings? They miss important evidence. My first dashcam, an £80 Mobius, manages to record continuously. Buffer and extend the recordings if it's an issue with USB write speed. Is it really that hard?
  2. Why are there no alternative routes offered in navigation? Yesterday it wanted me to drive 10 miles further to save 3 minutes. Silly. Waze does the same, but at least you can choose from 2 alternative routes.
  3. Why can't I see and play my playlists on my iPhone? I've spent significant time compiling my digital mix tapes. In this regard, Apple Carplay is significantly better.
  4. Why is there no sound with TeslaCam? There's a mic in the cabin. Sound adds context to the incidents and can include number plates read out loud. All dashcams record sound. There's a reason for it.

Thanks in advance for any fixes to the above. Or do I have to get Elon involved?
(Addition of the car colorizer is nice for the <1% of people who wrap their cars with a different colour, but have the software developers got their priorities right?)
I Like the fourth point !

That’s not true, I’ve had cars that let me browse my music/Apple Music library on iOS via Bluetooth.

Interesting, I've never had a car that allowed iOS library browsing via BT and I know that the reason used to be that only the A2DP had been implemented and not (I think) AVRCP.

I guess that changed and there is another reason why some manufacturers don't allow or support the browsing. Having never seen it on another car it didn't surprise me that the Tesla is the same.

Looks like I will have to be creative in my workaround then😂
You could use Spotify or Tidal if you want native functionality via the car (you’ll need to pay for the premium connectivity sub though). Otherwise you could use Siri to control playlists etc via Apple Music over Bluetooth. That works alright.

Reactions: Danny_F
Yes, it's annoying that the Nav system doesn't offer alternate routes. There's a sort of work around now that there are waypoints. Use the mapping software of choice on your phone to find a preferred route. Pick some point along that route that distinguishes it from the route the Tesla is proposing. Add the distinguishing point to the Tesla route as a waypoint. I can usually coerce the Tesla into taking the route I want. Of course, you could also just follow the directions from the phone, but this gets the route on the big map.

Yes, it's annoying that the Nav system doesn't offer alternate routes. There's a sort of work around now that there are waypoints. Use the mapping software of choice on your phone to find a preferred route. Pick some point along that route that distinguishes it from the route the Tesla is proposing. Add the distinguishing point to the Tesla route as a waypoint. I can usually coerce the Tesla into taking the route I want. Of course, you could also just follow the directions from the phone, but this gets the route on the big map.
Yes that's what I've had to do previously. Add a road as a waypoint. Shouldn't need to, though.
Alternatively, use Waze on my phone until we're far enough along the route that the Tesla is forced to use it.

Reactions: GalacticHero
Interesting, I've never had a car that allowed iOS library browsing via BT and I know that the reason used to be that only the A2DP had been implemented and not (I think) AVRCP.

I guess that changed and there is another reason why some manufacturers don't allow or support the browsing. Having never seen it on another car it didn't surprise me that the Tesla is the same.
I used to do it on a Sony XPlod back in the day, on an iphone.. 4? So they did implement some part of AVRCP. Maybe they removed it.. not tried an apple device in anger for a while.

Captain's log: supplemental.
Just dropped my daughter off at Heathrow for her final year at university in the US, and boy was it a contrast from doing it in the Ioniq.
In the Ioniq, it would have required a couple of longer stops in the journey (1 each way) with anxiety over charger availability, plus an additional half an hour added to the planned time 'just in case'.
In the Model S, it was leaving the house with just 15 minutes 'leeway' (which was used up with a leisurely stop for snacks), arriving on time to the minute and one stop on the way back with zero anxiety and the app buzzing me that the car was ready to go while I was still queuing for coffee.
And the ride comfort! Wow. A breeze. Love it.
Ok so it cost maybe twice as much in electricity than I'm used to, but that's life, these days. Ionity are raising their price to 66p /kWh from August 15th.