Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 month old model Y hit by other driver, is it totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver and knee airbags deployed. Passenger headlight destroyed, driver side headlight scratched. Front bumper needs a replacement, front hood damaged, rims scratches, passenger quarter panel is destroyed, high voltage battery disconnected, 12 volt battery died. The car is only 1 month old. The other driver rushed a yellow left turn (there is one car before him waiting for turn), she got impatient and made a sudden left turn,when I am going straight. It is a pain in the ass to find any tesla authorize body shop in Los Angeles and they have space to take it for estimates. Car just dropped off at body shop today, I think it might be repairable, but all my friend said once the air bag deployed and this damage, insurance will total it regardless.

Attachments

• 4581706F-1FD8-4281-80AF-1394678A8810.jpeg
    4581706F-1FD8-4281-80AF-1394678A8810.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 5D95A20E-62FB-4BCB-80F9-ADCF6D78BA83.jpeg
    5D95A20E-62FB-4BCB-80F9-ADCF6D78BA83.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 356
So sorry to see that damage to your new Tesla!! :mad:

I haven't gone through anything that extensive before but I think it would be best if the car were totaled and hopefully insurance would cover a new one. But that would also probably mean providing a rental for several months before you could get a new Tesla.

If insurance were to insist on repairing it then the loss of value to your car due to a severe collision would mean going after the insurance of the person who hit you with a diminished value claim to cover that loss on top of the cost to repair the car. That would probably require an attorney getting involved, if one could be found. There may be other people in your area who could assist with a diminished value claim for a fixed fee. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

So sorry to see that damage to your new Tesla!! :mad:

I haven't gone through anything that extensive before but I think it would be best if the car were totaled and hopefully insurance would cover a new one. But that would also probably mean providing a rental for several months before you could get a new Tesla.

If insurance were to insist on repairing it then the loss of value to your car due to a severe collision would mean going after the insurance of the person who hit you with a diminished value claim to cover that loss on top of the cost to repair the car. That would probably require an attorney getting involved, if one could be found. There may be other people in your area who could assist with a diminished value claim for a fixed fee. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
I have statfarm, and the other party has Heidi insurance. I already hired a lawyer and they are working on it now. Let’s hope it gets total and I got my money back. I heard that it takes months for tesla parts. :(

With a lawyer, every accident is an injury accident.
Until you realize your lawyer is a nothing compared to the lawyers that the billionaire dollar insurance agencies have on retainer. Everyone thinks lawyering up is a good thing. If it’s a basic accident, all they will do is take your money. You have insurance for this purpose. It’s their job to dispute fault and hammer out the details of payment.
Unless there are injuries or negligence, skip the lawyer and just have your insurance handle it. That’s what you’re paying premiums for.

Until you realize your lawyer is a nothing compared to the lawyers that the billionaire dollar insurance agencies have on retainer. Everyone thinks lawyering up is a good thing. If it’s a basic accident, all they will do is take your money. You have insurance for this purpose. It’s their job to dispute fault and hammer out the details of payment.
Unless there are injuries or negligence, skip the lawyer and just have your insurance handle it. That’s what you’re paying premiums for.
Or if the insurance company is screwing you over. Either way I'd wait before getting a lawyer.