Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 month review Model S 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I got so much useful info from the forum thought I’d give my experience for any people looking buying a Model S

I do quite a bit of mileage, (regular 200 mile trip to Newcastle) so the whole 75D vs 100D was a big consideration for me.

200 mile journeys in a 75D have not been an issue at all, leaving home with 95% I would get to my destination with 20% remaining. The bit of advice I picked up from the forum was to start off on any long journeys 5mph less than you would normally drive and then crank up the speed toward the end of the journey if you have a comfortable buffer. This has been good advice and I have easily beaten the estimate given by the satnav. I will point out that this has all been in dry summer weather and will have to see how I get on in winter.

So far I’m glad with my £££ saving over 100D...

Build quality is very good, no panel gaps etc, so no complaints here coming from a Porsche. Only slight comment would be a bit of wind noise from driver’s window over 70 mph.

Standard (non synthetic leather) seats are very good and really comfortable (prob not so relevant now PUP is standard)

Ok so not all plain sailing, some issues I’ve had for info:

After a week of ownership we found water was dripping into the passenger footwell. This turned out to be a kink in the a/c hose. SC fixed it within 30 mins, but an inconvenience having to take an afternoon off work to get it fixed.

Had an “air suspension needs service” message come up on the screen after one week. Could not adjust suspension from standard setting. Left the car overnight and it disappeared, after speaking to SC they tell me this is software glitch to be fixed in next update.

Overall really pleased with the car and the way it drives. I have not experienced any range anxiety (thought I would) and would recommend a 75D for any of those thinking of taking the plunge.

Standard (non synthetic leather) seats are very good and really comfortable (prob not so relevant now PUP is standard)

That bit is still relevant, the interior upgrade from textile to 'vegan leather' is still an additional option, it is just the stuff like the sub-zero package, improved audio, bio-defence filer that is now included.

will point out that this has all been in dry summer weather and will have to see how I get on in winter.

You will notice a big difference once the temperature drops. I have a 75D and do a regular 220 mile round trip M25/M3/M27 so steady speed. This time of the year not a problem, in the winter I need a top up to be comfortable.

An example from my TeslaFi shows 317 Wh/m in December, and 250 Wh/m last month. Same journey, same driving style etc.

You will notice a big difference once the temperature drops. I have a 75D and do a regular 220 mile round trip M25/M3/M27 so steady speed. This time of the year not a problem, in the winter I need a top up to be comfortable.

An example from my TeslaFi shows 317 Wh/m in December, and 250 Wh/m last month. Same journey, same driving style etc.

Thanks, am expecting a reduction in range. Am personally very lucky with location of the supercharger network so not a problem for me but something for others to consider.

Good review, thanks for posting.
I agree and get similar range etc. but have had zero issues (boringly reliable !).

The only thing I'd question - also owning an 8 yr old roadster, on original battery, is :
then crank up the speed toward the end of the journey if you have a comfortable buffer.

As battery cells discharge, down to last 20-30% and less, no matter how good the BMS is, some cells are at a lower voltage than others, they are also warm. Due to 'voltage sag' giving the car 'the beans' at this stage may well drag the voltage of lowest cells down to levels they don't really like (heat and low volts).

So for long term 'battery sympathy', If I feel the need to 'cook the beans' :) / by pulling big amps/kW, on either MS or Roadster, I try and do that before the battery is below 30%.

Yes I agree with others (and you) that currently a 200 mile journey is easily do'able from a 95% battery start point.

The problem will come when your battery degrades slightly (which it undoubtably will in the first 6-12 months by around 5% on average), this coupled with colder temperatures (below 9 degrees) will make the 200 mile journey a push.

Not saying you won't do it, but it will need a 100% charge, a steady drive and I reckon you'll arrive with <10% battery left.

Thanks for advice it is good to hear from those with many years of experience.

It is very early days for me in terms of Tesla ownership but all I can say is in the first 2500 miles the car has exceeded my range expectations so far…I guess they were quite low so getting a bit carried away!

Will come back and relay my experiences in 6-12 months to give a more balanced review

Interesting, thanks. Only time I'm below 30% is on longer journey approaching home (or Supercharger). I am inclined to speed up (say from 70 to 80-85) when range is certain. Should I stick to 70 below 30%, or is constant speed rather than "sprint" OK?
Building up speed, gently is OK - even 90mph. Its accelerating hard (high amps / high kW's) that's bad and drags down the cell's voltage.

Reactions: WannabeOwner