TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

1 sec 0-100 increase performance

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dirrrrr, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Dirrrrr

Dirrrrr New Member

Hi, I'm trying to find out if my Model S75's performance will increase as per this article:

Tesla Makes Model S and Model X Faster Overnight With Over The Air Update

"One of the coolest parts of that update will affect all current owners of the 75 kWh Model S and Model X. Thanks to an over the air update, Tesla has managed to extract better acceleration out of the 75 kWh battery, allowing for all vehicles equipped with it to accelerate 1 second faster than they were previously able to. That means the Model S 75D can now hit 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds, down from 5.2 seconds. Things get even better for the rear-wheel drive Model S 75, which sees its time drop from 5.5 seconds down to 4.3 seconds. Over on the SUV side of things the Model X 75D can now hit 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds, down from an even 6 seconds. "

My car was delivered in March 2017.

The article says "all MS n MX 75" cars will be effected. But somebody posted this on an FB page, "What Nathan said! I called tesla today to get clarification of what new meant. They said any car built after June 19 has the new hardware for the speed boost. They also told me that today was my lucky day because my X had been built on June 20th!!!! They also said the code should roll out over the next two weeks. I currently am running 2017.32 9ea02cb"

^ Is this correct?

2. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

Yes it's true for only cars built after June 19th as new hardware is required. Some are hoping for a slight bump to models without the hardware, but that remains to be seen.

3. McRat

McRat Active Member

There are cell phone apps that will measure 0-60 times. There are cheap track computers now that plug into the cigar lighter.

4. ABVA

ABVA Member

Is it June 19th 2016?

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

6. DanX

DanX New Member

Does anyone know an approximate VIN serial number for the June 19th change-over date. Inventory cars list a serial number, not a build date, and I'm trying to determine if an inventory car has the hardware upgrades.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Just a caution: cars are not built in strict VIN order.

And I am certain that no one outside of Tesla knows exactly which VINs have the performance hardware update. If you are looking at buying an inventory car you will need to ask Tesla about that car specifically.

8. FutureShock

FutureShock Member

How accurate are both of those options, would you say?

9. Krash

Krash Supporting Member

#9 Krash, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    PowerTools: +-0.25 sec
    TM-Spy: +-0.10 sec
    Cheap Track Computer: better

Any of these you'll need to do a few runs, throw out outliers and average the rest. That will get rid of the variability. Problem with PowerTools is you need good cell data coverage to do the runs.

• Like x 1
  10. McRat

McRat Active Member

I never compared the two, but the G-tech/Pro matches dragstrip data pretty close, less than 0.1s.
    I never used a cellphone app at the strip, but it will certainly find a 1.0 second variation.

• Like x 1
  11. McRat

McRat Active Member

Uh... a coincidence. G-Tech performance meters are made by Tesla Electronics in California. They started in 1994, so no relation.

12. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

your car is definitely not included in the announcement, buy why not just call and ask Tesla?