Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 TB Portable Hard Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carbonmedic

MYLR, Blue, 19”, black interior, 5 seats, OD 5/26
Aug 9, 2021
El Cajon, CA
Will a 1 TB portable hard drive work as well as a thumb drive for the dash cam recorder? My 2021 Y will come with a thumb drive in the glove compartment. Just want to make sure I'm purchasing the right piece of equipment, as I'm still waiting for delivery of my Y, which I ordered on 5/26/21.

Thanks!

Rick

Will a 1 TB portable hard drive work as well as a thumb drive for the dash cam recorder? My 2021 Y will come with a thumb drive in the glove compartment. Just want to make sure I'm purchasing the right piece of equipment, as I'm still waiting for delivery of my Y, which I ordered on 5/26/21.

Thanks!

Rick

Many owners are using a Samsung T5 or T7 SSD. I’m using a 512GB T7 and it’s been working great.

Thanks!

Rick
Are you intending to use a 1TB SSD or a spinning hard drive? I assume the former. If so, and as already mentioned by @ucsdsig, folks on this forum do use Samsung T5 and T7 drives, and seem to have no issues. However, if you meant the latter, I can't envision a spinning hard drive working very well in an environment where it might get jostled around.

I initially used the thumb drive that came w/ the car, but ended up switching to a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance MicroSD card, paired with a Rocketek Card Reader adapter (both from Amazon).

I switched because, after about two months of ownership, I noticed that some of my recordings were getting corrupted, or the flash drive simply wasn't recording (and I was having issues reformatting the flash drive).

Reactions: ucsdsig
Is the Samsung T5 or T7 compatible with a Mac? I have an iPhone and a Mac laptop that I intend to use to download the video as needed. Thanks!
According to the official specifications, yes...the T7 is compatible with Mac.

"

Multi-device compatibility​

Access your files anytime, anywhere. The T7 is compatible with PC, Mac, Android devices, gaming consoles, and more. Included in the box are USB Type
C-to-C and Type C-to-A cables for added convenience."

Reactions: SWIPE
Keep in mind that the Costco SanDisk 1TB is not the same as the Samsung T5/T7 SSD highly recommended by Tesla owners as mentioned above.

The SanDisk that is recommended is the Micro SD USB card reader and extreme memory card which is what I'm using but in a large size.

The Costco SSD one may work fine, I haven't gone through all the specs, but the high spec drives / card are generally what's recommended for Tesla due to heat, volume of rewrites, and speed.

Yup, created two partitions on the T7 (for Teslacam and Boombox) using my Mac. And I keep a USB-C to lightning cable in the car just in case I want/need to transfer videos quickly.
Similar here. Just yesterday partitioned a 500GB T7 into TESLA/MUSIC. Copied lots of files from Apple Music straight to the music partition. Created Boombox folder and put some sounds in there. Installed in the glove compartment (removed Tesla supplied 128GB stick). All is well. Recording dashcam/sentry and able to play music no problem (there is a somewhat long existing Tesla SW problem where cover art isn't shown, but that is not particular to the T7).

Reactions: SWIPE and ucsdsig
According to the official specifications, yes...the T7 is compatible with Mac.

"

Multi-device compatibility​

Access your files anytime, anywhere. The T7 is compatible with PC, Mac, Android devices, gaming consoles, and more. Included in the box are USB Type
C-to-C and Type C-to-A cables for added convenience."
Thanks for the info! After some research and reading replies in this forum, I'm convinced that the T7 is what I'm going to get. You say it's available on Amazon, right?

Take care.