Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 week old, GPS antenna has failed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title suggests, my car is 1 week old today (1,160 miles so far) and the GPS has ceased showing any movement on the screen. Tesla support said they can see on their end that my car is not reading the satellites. They will be sending out a mobile tech to look at it soon.

First world, early adopter teething issues.....

Matt

I don't think it's that. My Chevrolet Volt has some problems when I bought new. Three or four cars before that, in the 90s, when I bought a Honda Civic, something was wrong with the steering when it was rotated all the way.

Think there are just cases that are out of our control.

As the title suggests, my car is 1 week old today (1,160 miles so far) and the GPS has ceased showing any movement on the screen. Tesla support said they can see on their end that my car is not reading the satellites. They will be sending out a mobile tech to look at it soon.

First world, early adopter teething issues.....

Matt

Not sure why you say its not that...... Tesla told me they are relatively sure my GPS antenna is bad because all other systems are working from what they can see on their end. The antenna is one item they must physically have the car in front of them to diagnose.

GPS antennas are normally active devices, there are electronics in the antenna portion. So it is quite possible that something failed.

And no, this wouldn't be early adopter teething issues, it is the reality of the complex manufacturing of electronic devices.

There's also a firmware bug on the Model 3 that causes the GPS indicator to stop updating, effectively freezing the car's location. As a result, autopilot uses that location (and speed limit) when determining maximum allowed speed. I discovered this bug when I engaged AP on a 70 mph highway and the car immediately tried to slow down to 45 mph because the car's location was "stuck" on a non-divided road that had a 40 mph speed limit.

The solution for this particular problem is to completely power down the car and let it sleep for an hour or so.