Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 week review (M3LR).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to give a brief review of my 1 week experience.

for context, i have come from driving audis exclusively for ~20 years and i tend to keep them for a long time.
2000 audi s4 2.7L twin turbo (retired after 180k)
2010 audi q5 s-line premium plus 3.2L (retired after 180k)
2012 audi q5 s-line prestige 3.2L (retired after 190k)

i had also never been in a tesla nor driven one before picking mine up. all of my decision making was from watching youtube and friends with similar past cars and their current experience with teslas.

tesla.jpg

1. buying experience
overall, great. the only part that was on the annoying side was the ever changing EDDs. i ended up with delivery close to the original EDD (ended up being about 10 days sooner). picking up the car from the dealership was painless. we just recently picked up a 2022 audi q3 for my wife and the contrast between the 2 experiences was substantial (mainly the paperwork aspect).

2. car
coming from audi and having set very low expectations for the fit and finish of the model 3, i was pleasantly surprised. yes, the fit and finish is not where german cars at the same price point are -- but i have no major complaints. i do love the minimalist interior. i purchased a few accessories to make the internal space more usable (main console, armrest). i had no major issues with panel gaps, creaks, whistles etc.

im a bit of an audiophile and not being able to play lossless directly off my phone and having to partition a separate drive for sentry/audio is my biggest complaint.

3. drivability
ridiculously smooth was my first thoughts pulling out of the dealership. acceleration is addicting. quiet. just did a ~200 mile trip using autopilot quite frequently with no major hiccups.

my wife loves her q3 but after driving home with me from the dealership was wondering if she should have got a Y...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow it’s about all I can say. I put a thousand miles on my m3dual and I don’t think it is a safe car to drive. I turned on all of the autonomous features. Drive 50 miles to let it calibrate. The next day did a road trip to test it’s abilities, what a surprise!
When in adaptive cruise control it doesn’t want to pass a semi on the next lane. I was fearful that a driver brings me would ram more because of the abrupt slowing.
I didn’t know it would decided suddenly, like on a curve, to drop out off lane control. I don’t want my wife to drive it ominous any more other than cruise.
The features are not worth $10,000!
My Model Y has no issue with passing a Semi in the next lane. It will also not drop out of Adaptive Cruise on a corner unless you put to much friction on the steering wheel. Let the wheel glide through your hands and drop not put a firm grip on the wheel especially if you have larger arms...

have you bought any accessories yet? what would you consider a must-have?

-sandisk 1TB extreme pro SSD
-tesla all weather mats (frunk, interior and trunk)
-tesla pet liner
-tesla bros drop lock
-spigen matte screen protector
-jowua center console tray
-jowua armrest organizer
-motrobe cupholder insert
-scentwedge scent inserts (not must-have but nice)

Last edited:
Reactions: Floydsox
I wanted to give a brief review of my 1 week experience.

for context, i have come from driving audis exclusively for ~20 years and i tend to keep them for a long time.
2000 audi s4 2.7L twin turbo (retired after 180k)
2010 audi q5 s-line premium plus 3.2L (retired after 180k)
2012 audi q5 s-line prestige 3.2L (retired after 190k)

i had also never been in a tesla nor driven one before picking mine up. all of my decision making was from watching youtube and friends with similar past cars and their current experience with teslas.

View attachment 772613

1. buying experience
overall, great. the only part that was on the annoying side was the ever changing EDDs. i ended up with delivery close to the original EDD (ended up being about 10 days sooner). picking up the car from the dealership was painless. we just recently picked up a 2022 audi q3 for my wife and the contrast between the 2 experiences was substantial (mainly the paperwork aspect).

2. car
coming from audi and having set very low expectations for the fit and finish of the model 3, i was pleasantly surprised. yes, the fit and finish is not where german cars at the same price point are -- but i have no major complaints. i do love the minimalist interior. i purchased a few accessories to make the internal space more usable (main console, armrest). i had no major issues with panel gaps, creaks, whistles etc.

im a bit of an audiophile and not being able to play lossless directly off my phone and having to partition a separate drive for sentry/audio is my biggest complaint.

3. drivability
ridiculously smooth was my first thoughts pulling out of the dealership. acceleration is addicting. quiet. just did a ~200 mile trip using autopilot quite frequently with no major hiccups.

my wife loves her q3 but after driving home with me from the dealership was wondering if she should have got a Y...
Hello former Audi enthusiast, now hopefully you stay T pilled 💊. My wife has the Tesla M3 RWD , handles great in the snow with good snow tires. I have just recently lease transferred out my 2021 MY Performance , and picked up the 2022
MS LR. I loved the space they the MY had , but the MS is such a far superior handling and drive factor. I believe my wife’s M3 RWD hugs the road better than the MY. This is what I feel, it may be up for debate though .

Attachments

• FD78BA5A-0C8E-4298-95DF-4A6768F7F559.jpeg
    FD78BA5A-0C8E-4298-95DF-4A6768F7F559.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 67
  • A9E14A0B-C85E-465D-8FB8-98DC089B0444.jpeg
    A9E14A0B-C85E-465D-8FB8-98DC089B0444.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 54