Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Year and No AC Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your theory does not work for quite a few people in Florida.

Your theory also does not work as can be confirmed by multiple people who have written on this thread saying that they run their ac on auto without recirculation who have had terrible odors. Someone else on here states they only use manual with recirculation and have had no odors. So how do you explain that?

After 1 year and 15k miles, I checked my Cabin Air Filters today. They were dry and clean, with very little dust or particles. I checked the coil compartment and it was clean and dry.

I live about 5 miles from the ocean in NC and it is hot and humid for about half the year. I keep my AC on Auto all of the time and just adjust temp setting as needed. The AC control on auto does a great job for me.

I read so many complaints about bad smells. It is becoming somewhat obvious to me that those that are having problems prefer to run their AC on manual and with a lot of recirc. To me this is their problem and not a Tesla problem.

lol no. I’ve only used my air system on auto as well. I had the smell over the summer. It’s not noticeable in the cooler months now.

Your theory does not work for quite a few people in Florida.

Florida is surprisingly not as hot compared to the deserts as I thought it might be.

But overall, I think there are enough people with the issue that it isn’t user dependent as you assert. How else do you explain me using auto all the time and having the smell and you using auto all the time and not having the smell?

There are a ton of other variables. It could be that since I drive twice as many miles a year than you, that my AC is running twice as much (or more, as I probably run AC for months longer due to the climate in my area). My commute is an hour each way with the AC working hard the whole time, which is a long time for moisture to build up every day.

E7178883-79FF-420A-9CD3-9BEB241067E6.jpeg

Florida is surprisingly not as hot compared to the deserts as I thought it might be.

But overall, I think there are enough people with the issue that it isn’t user dependent as you assert. How else do you explain me using auto all the time and having the smell and you using auto all the time and not having the smell?

There are a ton of other variables. It could be that since I drive twice as many miles a year than you, that my AC is running twice as much (or more, as I probably run AC for months longer due to the climate in my area). My commute is an hour each way with the AC working hard the whole time, which is a long time for moisture to build up every day.

View attachment 463288

I can see your longer commutes as a possible factor. How about humidity in Florida versus desert dry heat?

Good question as to why so many do not have issues with smells but others do.

After 1 year and 15k miles, I checked my Cabin Air Filters today. They were dry and clean, with very little dust or particles. I checked the coil compartment and it was clean and dry.

I live about 5 miles from the ocean in NC and it is hot and humid for about half the year. I keep my AC on Auto all of the time and just adjust temp setting as needed. The AC control on auto does a great job for me.

I read so many complaints about bad smells. It is becoming somewhat obvious to me that those that are having problems prefer to run their AC on manual and with a lot of recirc. To me this is their problem and not a Tesla problem.
We’re at 15 months and 24000 miles. It is vanishingly rare that we run AC not in automatic. Yet we have had the stinky syndrome. But we haven’t had it the past few months since they addressed it with software.

anyone tried these? I wonder if they are more effective than the stock cabin filter?

Model 3 HEPA Cabin Air Filter Replacement

After 1 year in NoCA with the factory filters in my P3D+ using HVAC with Auto and Cabin Overheat on with AC, I detected the dreaded smell from the system. I got the Kool-It cleaner and bought the EV Tuning filters. Just did the drill yesterday to remove the factory filters (..thanks to the assembly line staff for not leaving the tabs on the filters exposed...among other issues). The OEM filters were pretty dirty, with small bits of leaves & dirt. Note too that on the Model 3 the air intake under the plastic baffle in the frunk is wide open--no screen or perforated panel. So I did the foam cleaning and installed the new HEPA/activated carbon filters--all good. Nice and clean--no odor. And FWIW I bought a Made in China air intake baffle to fill the big hole and keep the larger bits out. I vacuumed out the intake down to the metal screen before installing the baffle. So far, so good.

Reactions: gilscales