Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 year in.. we really need better driver profiles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla could do so much with driver profiles that isn't being done yet. Just throwing some ideas out there:
  • Obvious: tie more of the settings to it, e.g. creep mode.
  • Sync the profiles to Tesla server so that you can sync between multiple vehicles. Great if your family owns more than one Tesla but even better when you get a Tesla loaner -- you could sync your settings, saved locations, possibly even HomeLink and then clear before you return.
  • Make all of the restrictions in Valet mode available to any profile. So you can have a profile for your kid that limits performance but allows everything else and requires a PIN to disable. Additionally you could set this to auto-enable when the car turns on.
  • Add ability to link profiles to individual keyfobs.

I like the idea of synching to a server for download - that could be really helpful.

I'm not sure how practical the key fob link is - does the car know which fob is in the driver's seat when two or more are in the car?

I think it knows which side of the car a fob is on while outside, so maybe it could watch and remember...

You actually do have access to the owners manual on your "my tesla" page under documents. I suggest reading the whole manual before taking delivery.

Driver profiles store tons of settings, not sure why creep isn't stored but I'll test that out to see for sure.
As stated above, the manual doesn't say which settings are saved. You have to go to the car Controls/Settings to get that.

Isn't it kind of remarkable that Tesla hasn't shipped a fingerprint reader? My $600 iPhone knows who I am, but a $100k+ luxury car doesn't?

Something else to get dirty and grimy and break down.

Besides, Tesla doesn't need a reader of their own - they have a secure app on your phone (which can now start the car.) Authenticate to the phone, let the phone verify it to the car... :)

I asked the advisor about tying the user profile to the fob. He told me that Tesla used to do that, but folks would complain as they may grab the wrong fob. I would like to see the feature be something that could be enabled. My Corvette did it. My GMC truck does it. My wife and I never have keys for the same car when we are in the car together. To have the seats and mirror automatically adjust before you get in the car is a nice feature. I would also like to see ALL user settings tied to the user profile. The radio settings, everything. My wife and I have very different tastes in music. Would make that a lot easier if that were just saved with the profile as well. (other cars on the market already do this!)