Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 year in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
I've owned my Model S for 1 year as of this week. I bought new, first owner.

Let me start by saying "touchwood".

I don't know why some people keep taking their cars to the service center. Mine has been zero issues, zero creaks, leaks, etc. The loaner sucked (even though it was a Tesla, it wasn't my Tesla). I'm 1 year into my 4 year warranty, and cannot think of any reason to take advantage of their excellent service. I mean .. the car touchwood .. is absolutely perfect.

After one year of ownership, I can think of only two downsides of this car,

1. EV charging is nearly not as convenient as filling gas. Of course, I am more than willing to overlook this as a "shortcoming" for all the benefit that comes out of it. And I realize things won't change overnight, so I'm willing to put up with this for a better tomorrow.

2. Tesla high repair costs - thankfully haven't had to deal with this, but damn Tesla, ju gotta fix this artificial issue. Repair costs need not be so absurd and the waits need not be so long. This is a huge downside. Same goes for the $900 maint. and highly overpriced accessories. I mean yeah you need to make profit, but don't do the selling coca cola for $9 in a stadium to a captive audience thing. It stinks.

Sure the media/maps could be better. But damn, what an awesome car. I love mine, and Autopilot totally rocks.
Okay I've had one minor issue, one morning it said "press brake after systems are powered up" (or something like that). I waited 2 min, got impatient and hit brakes. Car did move to "D" and I could drive. But the mirrors didn't fold out. Once I restarted the car, everything came back to normal. Meh! Looks like Tesla hired an ex-windows programmer.

But overall, quite happy, and hoping for better repair/maint. costs story in the long run.

I'd have to agree with you, feel fortunate after 1.2 years haven't had any issues yet as well. Been a great car, love it, and even though it has some missing features (hardware and software) and isn't perfect, its the most I've enjoyed a vehicle in a long time. Hoping it continues to last and age well - still a little nervous there.

I skipped the 1st year service as its been in for a tire swap (winter/Summer) and they fully checked it out some, and i've changed my own key fob, blades, and the simple things that are suggested in that 1st year. Will likely do the 2nd year, and 3rd/4th going forward, and hopefully if don't upgrade - get the ESA as the 4th year completes (this is dependent on how well the car does in the next 2 years or so).

Your car never had to go to the service center? Man, you got a lemon! I mean seriously, everyone, (like all 25 of them) else has had the SC Blues and have been able to make *significant* internet bandwidth demands... I'm so sorry.

/irony...

Your car never had to go to the service center? Man, you got a lemon! I mean seriously, everyone, (like all 25 of them) else has had the SC Blues and have been able to make *significant* internet bandwidth demands... I'm so sorry.

/irony...

Yeah, I'm honestly wondering if there is an issue with the car that I don't see perhaps? Like the pano roof makes a slight sound when I go over potholes, should I bother? Or I hear the AC when I crank it up .. but .. it's running .. it's supposed to make sound .. !!!!!!

Okay I am puzzled what others run to the service center for. Maybe I'm missing out.

Yeah, I'm honestly wondering if there is an issue with the car that I don't see perhaps? Like the pano roof makes a slight sound when I go over potholes, should I bother? Or I hear the AC when I crank it up .. but .. it's running .. it's supposed to make sound .. !!!!!!

Okay I am puzzled what others run to the service center for. Maybe I'm missing out.

There was a guy on the other Tesla forum who claimed to have a list of 68 things that were wrong with the car at delivery. I take it your personality is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Less stress! :)

• Funny
Reactions: hybridbear
I'm just over 1 year and 21k miles. I got a loaner once - my armrest came loose. A P85 - which was fun for a sec. Was going to let the neighbors take it for a spin but they swapped my car out at work for me a few hours later. So fantastic service - but only got to do it once.

No annual for me.

236 miles originally (70D), range charge this week - 233.

I've owned my Model S for 1 year as of this week. I bought new, first owner.

Let me start by saying "touchwood".

I don't know why some people keep taking their cars to the service center. Mine has been zero issues, zero creaks, leaks, etc. The loaner sucked (even though it was a Tesla, it wasn't my Tesla). I'm 1 year into my 4 year warranty, and cannot think of any reason to take advantage of their excellent service. I mean .. the car touchwood .. is absolutely perfect.

After one year of ownership, I can think of only two downsides of this car,

1. EV charging is nearly not as convenient as filling gas. Of course, I am more than willing to overlook this as a "shortcoming" for all the benefit that comes out of it. And I realize things won't change overnight, so I'm willing to put up with this for a better tomorrow.

Plugless Power wireless charging (Meet the Plugless Level 2 wireless EV charging station) is now available, which makes charging effortless. I think higher powered Tesla Superchargers are in store too, which will make charging on long trips even more convenient along with next-generation batteries (e.g. the 100D and beyond).

Congratulations on your first year of Tesla ownership!

Just curious about this, do you have charging at home, or are you just referring to long trips? I say this because, for me, the convenience of charging is one of the great advantages of this car. I plug it in when I get home, it's always full in the morning, and I pretty much never have to worry about it. On long trips it's not quite as convenient as just hitting a random gas station, but to me that's more than made up for the fact that I don't have to worry about it for local driving (which is 99% of the time), whereas gas cars need gas station stops all the time regardless.

I don't mean to start an argument or imply that you're wrong! I just wanted to mention that in case you might not have thought of it that way.

Glad the car is treating you well. I'm about a year and a half in and I've had a few minor problems, but nothing major. Still very happy with it!

Reactions: Wuggado?
Yeah, totally agree on that. Superchargers are fine and long trips are pretty nice, but it doesn't match the convenience of ubiquitous gas stations.

I just say this because I feel that the convenience of charging at home far outweighs that, and people often don't think about that angle. They look at the time lost on road trips, but not the time saved every week.

True. I've saved so much time not visiting gas stations, not to mention money. I never have to think "damn I'd better get gas today evening, because tomorrow morning I need to be somewhere early". Also I baby my tesla so I wash it myself, which means zero dollars spent on car washes.

There's a joke about a guy who buys a brand new Rolls Royce, only for it to die in the middle of a drive a week later. He calls up the dealer and lays into them about how much money he spent and how this is unacceptable and they need to get it fixed. They ask him, "When was the last time you put gas in it?" He explodes: "I paid all this money for this fancy car, and you're telling me I have to put gas in it too?!"

I loved this joke for years, but now it's even better, because the absurd entitled clueless luxury-car buyer is now how I get to live!