Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 year in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What issues did you run into? Just wondering if it was anything major, or nitpicks?

Both, minor and major. In about a year of ownership of my CPO, here's the list of issues I've had, listed chronologically - 12 volt needed replaced, got water in the DU and it failed/needed replaced, had side marker lights/emblems replaced as they were corroding, parking brake pad fell apart, recently noticed some other minor concerns which they're going to be checking out this week.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the vehicles are amazing and worth putting up with some of these hiccups. I have to think that most of this is related to the early'ish vintage of my car and that newer ones have had these bugs corrected. That said, I really hope to get through all of the issues before my warranty runs out.

Brantse, I am 100% convinced that the newer cars are better built. The newer cars (2015 onwards) seem to have zero issues. The older ones seem to have more issues. Also look at the model x. Nothing but problems. This is why I didn't reserve a model 3. In another 100k miles, I'll trade in my model s for a model 3.

Just posted a thread in the "Central Virginia" Group's forum. It's a bunch of questions under the heading of "What's it like having no local service station?" Since this current thread is mostly about service stuff and you guys seem to know what you're talking about, I wonder if it'd be ok with Sir Guacamolaf if I posted my questions here.....

Go for it, I don't own this forum anyway, this is my 8th account, I keep getting banned because I can't hold my jokes.

Where is a link to your other question thread in central virginia?

Thanks Sir G.

Here's the link: What's it like having no local service center?

Here are the questions:
Hey Folks,

I'm spending a lot of time looking at pros/cons of purchasing a Model S. My wife's biggest issue right now is that we're in Richmond and the nearest service center is in D.C. {Also, I don't like the idea of spending $321 ($3 per mile) for "Valet Service."}

So please be straight with me with these questions:
1) How bad is it not having a service center closer?

2) What's the biggest drawback?

3) Does anyone make a "family in DC" little vacation out of a service trip (I don't travel to DC on business or really ever head north of Richmond much)? I'm thinking that might be what we'd end up doing.

4) My biggest fear would be if the car wasn't drivable and needed to get to service in DC. What would I need to do then? I have AAA, but I'm not sure exactly what they would charge for a tow all the way to DC.

5) What's your best guess at the percentage chance that during the first 4 years the car would need servicing and couldn't be driven? I realize it's a tough prediction to make, but I'm curious.

6) I see there's a Tesla-certified body shop in Mechanicsville. Have you heard if they are good/reasonably priced?

Thanks in advance to any answers you provide. Really appreciate it.
Rob

My 2c,

1) How bad is it not having a service center closer?

I would not have purchased the car if there wasn't a service center close to me. I'm lucky that I have two. However, plenty of folks especially early adopters who have had issues with their cars were quite far away from service centers - I decided to not use their experience and willingness as a benchmark because,

a) Tesla in the past went out of the way to support such people, Tesla is not as willing to do so anymore.
b) They were early adopters, they had a greater threshold for pain than me at least.

That said, did you see this? http://www.richmond.com/business/local/article_adb29906-53c9-5a85-b6f5-0ee443fa5dd9.html

Temper the above with the fact that you have a supercharger pretty close to you, and Tesla does see interest in your area. So I'd say, wait a year, maybe Tesla will open a service center close to you, or just risk it and go for it. It's a risk though, if it was my $ and life, I wouldn't make Tesla as my only car far away from a service center, but that's my risk threshold.

2) What's the biggest drawback?

Minor nitpicks can wait. The newer cars I think are much more reliable. But if your car becomes undrivable for any issue, then it's a big problem. Tesla flatbed towing is pricey$$$$. If Tesla doesn't pay for it, you are stuck with a pretty big bill. Don't forget, service also usually means dropping your car, picking a loaner, and dropping the loaner, and picking your car - later in the day. You'll have plenty of time to buy me lunch in DC in the meanwhile, so that's a big plus.

3) Does anyone make a "family in DC" little vacation out of a service trip (I don't travel to DC on business or really ever head north of Richmond much)? I'm thinking that might be what we'd end up doing.

Let me sum up DC for you - the most boring place on earth, full of govie types, who spend their Friday's filling status reports with all the crap they didn't do for the first 4 days. Plus traffic is pretty bad because the govies late for work are always in the way of the govies leaving work early. Why the hell would you want to come here for a "vacation"? There is no beach, no mountains, just plenty of blood sucking mosquitoes (also the insect types).

4) My biggest fear would be if the car wasn't drivable and needed to get to service in DC. What would I need to do then? I have AAA, but I'm not sure exactly what they would charge for a tow all the way to DC.

Exactly. You are left at the mercy of Tesla service - which has gone from amazing to good (i.e. gotten worse). And do you really want to be at the mercy of one party/one company's whim? Plus who knows how the service will hold up once hordes of Model 3's roll out. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

5) What's your best guess at the percentage chance that during the first 4 years the car would need servicing and couldn't be driven? I realize it's a tough prediction to make, but I'm curious.

I'd avoid X if you want to be trouble free, I'd also avoid 2013 and earlier. My 2015 has had no issues, but hard to predict. I may want to run out for a coffee, and who knows there may be an issue waiting for me. Never know!

6) I see there's a Tesla-certified body shop in Mechanicsville. Have you heard if they are good/reasonably priced?

No idea. But Tesla-certified === $$$$$, and repair costs of Tesla are a huge downside of owning a Tesla. Do yourself a favor, google for "Tesla repair costs" before making a purchase, and definitely have full coverage. And a certified body shop is not a replacement for a service center.

Don't meant to discourage you from owning a Tesla. I love mine, drives like a dream. But just being realistic.

True. I've saved so much time not visiting gas stations, not to mention money. I never have to think "damn I'd better get gas today evening, because tomorrow morning I need to be somewhere early". Also I baby my tesla so I wash it myself, which means zero dollars spent on car washes.
... or "Better get gas tonight because the price is going to jump tomorrow!" No more absurd pricing. :D

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf