Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Year later and Virginia Beach is still behind on chargers...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Y'all,
I performed the the final tie-in of our HPWC this week. This was installed for guest use only since we will continue to charge with a 14-30 for a 160-mile commute. We live 60 miles from the Glen Allen "super" in Kingsmill (we were able to get them to install (5) 14-50's last year) which offers charging to overnight guests. So, have at it.

Where are these wonderful facilities located? Have you posted on PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map?

Where are these wonderful facilities located?

Our Kingsmill community/resort on the James River is centrally located between Richmond and Norfolk on Rt. 64 at exit 242. I was advised last year that the (5) 14-50's would be offline during the LPGA (in 2 weeks) since all "juice" would be needed for broadcasting and additional temporary cell communications. Yes, I have updated my "DL" profile on PlugShare.

LPGA Kingsmill Championship | Kingsmill Resort, Williamsburg VA

Cott,
It might be a long haul for you, not from CO, but getting all the way down that most incredible driveway of yours:biggrin:

HitW Driveway Model S - YouTube

Last edited:
Our Kingsmill community/resort on the James River is centrally located between Richmond and Norfolk on Rt. 64 at exit 242. I was advised last year that the (5) 14-50's would be offline during the LPGA (in 2 weeks) since all "juice" would be needed for broadcasting and additional temporary cell communications. Yes, I have updated my "DL" profile on PlugShare.

LPGA Kingsmill Championship | Kingsmill Resort, Williamsburg VA

Great work. Is this the entry that you are talking about? Spa At Kingsmill | Williamsburg, VA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare. I could not image anything else. I updated the info to include 14-50's and Tesla HPWC. If that is wrong, let me know and I will put it back.

That's wonderful infrastructure that you have installed, and you are just off the I-95 Supercharger Highway! You really need to advertise Kingsmill as a destination resort catering to EV's. At the very least list Kingsmill at Charging and Lodging - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum.

Cott,
It might be a long haul for you, not from CO, but getting all the way down that most incredible driveway of yours:biggrin:

HitW Driveway Model S - YouTube

My place is not exactly the tidal country of Virginia, eh? :wink:

It's been a while since I was in Williamsburg. A long, long time ago, I was born in Virginia, and spent many a childhood afternoon near Hopewell, swinging into the river from a rope tied to the train trestle over the Appomattox River, just before it flowed into the James River...

Last edited:
(X-Post from Teslamotors.com Washington DC forum)

Trip Report: NoVa to VA Beach for Memorial Day in a 60 kWh

We had an awesome and easy trip over Memorial Day weekend from NoVa to VA Beach in our S60 - no issues or range anxiety at all. <p>Total trip miles 357; Total kWh: 101; Avg Wh/mile: 283

IMG_4913.JPG

Got quite a bit of traffic on Saturday morning on I-95S so took Route 1 from Quantico to bypass Fredericksburg. Ended up at Glen Allen with plenty of range left. Kids plugged us in and we got a quick lunch at Panera Bread. Car was done charging (max charge) before we were even done with lunch! Interestingly I was expecting the SC to be busy but we were the only Model S when we pulled in but two more stopped in when we were leaving. I tweeted this photo and @TeslaMotors replied with "Looking Good - #drivefree" :)

IMG_4748.JPG

In Virginia Beach we were staying at the Hilton Oceanfront on 31st street that has a garage opposite it (with certain spots reserved for hotel guests and the rest open to public). I noticed that on every level a few of the corner spots seemed to have electrical outlets and sure enough found a wide open space on level 3 with a 110V. We were staying two nights so this was plenty! I added this to Plugshare as well.

IMG_4822.JPG

For dinner that night I had scoped out Coastal Grill as I noticed on Plugshare that they have an HPWC. Had an awesome dinner while charging up @ 34 miles / hr (I don't have dual chargers). I don't know if it is actually Coastal Grill that had the HPWC installed (since it is a bit farther down as you can see in the photo below) but if you're in the area do stop by and thank them with your business (it is great food as well).

IMG_4839.JPG

Started back on Monday mid-day with a 90% charge and actually made much better Wh/mile than the inbound trip -- may have been the winds. We got IDEAL miles all the way to Glen Allen where there were 4 other Model S charging.

IMG_4910.JPG

All in all a wonderful and easy trip even in a model S. While in an 85 you can likely make it without stopping over at Glen Allen we noticed that even 85s were charging up at the SC as it makes a perfect pit stop at Panera Bread with kids.

Thank you Tesla Motors!

I'm glad that you had a fun and easy trip. I wouldn't post the 120v outlet in the garage on plug share unless you have permission from the owner of the garage to do so. Those outlets are likely for their use and not intended for charging. If they had noticed what you were doing they may have unplugged you and asked you to leave. Now if you asked beforehand, it might be a different story. By posting it to plug share another EV driver may incorrectly assume the owner of the garage has given permission.

I emailed the Tesla destination Charging program guys, and they have no record of anyone in VA Beach participating in that program. So, apparently we have a benefactor there who has forked over the money to buy and instal an HPWC! Guess all we can do is say thanks on PlugShare whenever we use it!

@Treker56: The guy I referred you to is not my brother-in-law, but a fellow Tesla owner who was glad to help you if you needed it!

I'm in Virginia beach right now, headed down from Tyson's corner with 313 ideal. Hit glen Allen and charged to 290. Arrived virginia beach with 170 and am now trickle charging at an outlet at the courtyard marriott (their garage over the road has a plug right by the entrance). Valet guy pointed me to it. Should be good to go when I head back home, will stop at Woodbridge for outlets and a top off before getting home.

I'm in Virginia beach right now, headed down from Tyson's corner with 313 ideal. Hit glen Allen and charged to 290. Arrived virginia beach with 170 and am now trickle charging at an outlet at the courtyard marriott (their garage over the road has a plug right by the entrance). Valet guy pointed me to it. Should be good to go when I head back home, will stop at Woodbridge for outlets and a top off before getting home.

313?? You using metric?