Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 year with my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May 31st marked the 1 year anniversary for my 2019 Model S 100D pre raven and I thought some might be interested in what it’s like to live with this car day to day. I did spec the Full Self Drving option and it has been a godsend on long boring highway trips.

So here it is the day I got it.

013B59D2-1C59-4E0B-854A-DFC741BA2748.jpeg

And here is what the car was busy doing this past year.

30D15052-B98E-4DCF-B36A-F2E33CB9B934.jpeg

Yes that’s almost 30k miles and about $1200 in electricity at the $.11 kWh my electricity provider charges. I do have free supercharging and obviously traveled a bunch, but I don’t have hard numbers on how many of those kWhs were derived from supercharging and destination charging. I will say that most weeks I utilized one or the other. Compared to my previous Lexus GS350 and assuming I paid for every kWh, I saved $2000 in fuel even at today’s local prices of $2.20 for premium.

Obviously fuel savings was not the primary motivator in this purchase but the overall monthly spend delta between the vehicles I have calculated at $200 per month. Not a lot, but remember that I am comparing a used GS to a new Model S.

Dealership visits were few but I did need the wiper transmission replaced within the first 6 months which apparently never happens so I’m blaming infant mortality. No maintenance visits required and no tire rotations either. The tires were wearing evenly front to rear with the exception of this.

8ECDEC21-5589-45BB-A113-8F760B5E7F1B.jpeg

Yes, I corded the inside rear just last week. It was my own damn fault for squeezing in a long trip prior to putting on fresh rubber, and maybe the frequent launches! In any event I decided to move up a size and utilize the Model X 20x9in front wheels in black to update the look and gain more offset while staying away from the tire costs of the staggered setup or the 21 inch options. Today, she looks like this.

5B16DFDC-8C43-40B1-BF2D-AD33845FF4D2.jpeg

I bought mine on June 29. Model S 100D. I have a range of ~330 at 100%. Do you know if we could get any upgrades to increase range?
I read that they did it for 2019 Model S through software improvement...

I bought mine on June 29. Model S 100D. I have a range of ~330 at 100%. Do you know if we could get any upgrades to increase range?
I read that they did it for 2019 Model S through software improvement...

That is already impressive to only lose 5 rated miles after a year. Our Raven S Standard Range was already down 9 rated miles when we purchased it as new inventory with 1,002 miles.

After a year, our Raven battery "degradation" is equivalent to OP's 317/335.

May 31st marked the 1 year anniversary for my 2019 Model S 100D pre raven and I thought some might be interested in what it’s like to live with this car day to day. I did spec the Full Self Drving option and it has been a godsend on long boring highway trips.

So here it is the day I got it.

View attachment 548384

And here is what the car was busy doing this past year.

View attachment 548382

Yes that’s almost 30k miles and about $1200 in electricity at the $.11 kWh my electricity provider charges. I do have free supercharging and obviously traveled a bunch, but I don’t have hard numbers on how many of those kWhs were derived from supercharging and destination charging. I will say that most weeks I utilized one or the other. Compared to my previous Lexus GS350 and assuming I paid for every kWh, I saved $2000 in fuel even at today’s local prices of $2.20 for premium.

Obviously fuel savings was not the primary motivator in this purchase but the overall monthly spend delta between the vehicles I have calculated at $200 per month. Not a lot, but remember that I am comparing a used GS to a new Model S.

Dealership visits were few but I did need the wiper transmission replaced within the first 6 months which apparently never happens so I’m blaming infant mortality. No maintenance visits required and no tire rotations either. The tires were wearing evenly front to rear with the exception of this.

View attachment 548381

Yes, I corded the inside rear just last week. It was my own damn fault for squeezing in a long trip prior to putting on fresh rubber, and maybe the frequent launches! In any event I decided to move up a size and utilize the Model X 20x9in front wheels in black to update the look and gain more offset while staying away from the tire costs of the staggered setup or the 21 inch options. Today, she looks like this.

View attachment 548383
tire looks like it has some life left......but the cords appear to be from tire being under-inflated.....JMHO

Or the camber is off, which the model s is known for.

...or a bad suspension link

Fixed: Loose rear end (pulls right accelerating, left on regen)

I would definitely start with examining the other tires for similar wear, then get a wheel alignment readout. Given how much tread is left on the center of the tire and cords exposed on only the inner shoulder, I would think there's something wrong with the suspension...or just riding on "Very Low" for too long.

I’m a little concerned about that tire wear. Is that wear just on one tire or two? I’d assume you need a wheel alignment test to see if the toe and camber is within spec. Additionally your Wh/mi should decrease if you get it corrected.
Both rear tires were the same. I had the car aligned at the dealer as obviously the car has too much rear camber. Doesn't pull left or right on power or on regen. I put 10k miles on it since changing the tires and the new Pirellis seem to be holding up better. Will update as they continue to wear.