Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10,000 miles in a Model 3 (nearly) - Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 479977

I'm just about to hit 10k miles in my Model 3, so thought I'd share my experience and thoughts. I picked up a Model 3 Long Range on 21st August and have used it predominantly traveling to and from work (200 mile round trip) but have also taken it on one or two longer trips.

Is it about to fall to bits?
No.
Build quality isn't as good as it was on my previous German cars and there are a number of annoying cabin rattles, but these are down to the passenger seat-belts when not in use so can be resolved by plugging them all in or through the tactical deployment of felt or rubber bands.

When cornering at speed, the sound of air rushing in to the cabin increases around the drivers window suggesting the car could be more rigid and the sealing could be better. This is only discernible when driving like a hooligan.

Have I spent days of my life sat watching it charge?
No.
Being the long range version, the motors will easily eek out 300 miles of charge when driven sensibly, or 240+ miles when driven spiritedly. This means I have only once completed a journey (400 miles) where I couldn't get to my destination in one go and plug it in.

I find the predicted mileage to be most accurate when the battery is warm, immediately after charging or after 30-40 miles on the road. As a rule of thumb, I deduct 10 miles of range if starting the car on a mild day and 30 miles if starting the car on a cold day if the battery has not preconditioned.

I have generally found the charging network suitable for my needs. There are some cold spots in my routine (such as between Chester and Shrewsbury), but in reality I've only had to use charging stations a handful of times and can plan around those cold-spots.

It is not disingenuous to say that I probably spent longer stood at a fuel pump in my previous BMW to cover 10k miles than I have spent sat at a charging station in my EV. In fact, I find the very notion of standing to fill up a car with fuel hilarious now and cannot imagine going back to that... and handing over £70 each time for the privilege.

I have a 32A Commando charger at home that I installed for <£70. Don't believe the haters, this is a perfectly legit set-up and offers no tangible disadvantages over a more expensive rig. I am fortunate to also have a 32A Rolec charger at the office in Manchester where I do the majority of my charging (it's free!)

Have I saved a fortune in fuel?
Yes.
To do 10k miles in my BMW would have cost me c.£1,600 and worn the rear tyres down to ready to be replaced (I averaged a new set of rear tyres every 12k in my 4-Series and front tyres every 20k).

So far in my Tesla I have spent £112 at Superchargers and £126 in increased electricity usage at home
That's just £240 in total! an 85% saving.

I've also had a bit of luck on occasion where chargers have been faulty and discharged for free. Imagine going to a petrol forecourt and being given free diesel because the tills were down?

Tyre-wise, I will probably need to replace them in another 10k miles. The tread is ok and consistent across the 4 wheels, presumably due to the clever torque vectoring. The only other thing I've had to put in the car is air for tyres and screen-wash.

Do I miss levers, dials and knobs?
No.
Admittedly the air-con takes a little getting used to but I find I can adjust effortlessly now, and I've never struggled to do what I'm trying to do on the touch-screen. The voice control is excellent and covers more functionality than it ever did on my previous car. The steering wheel controls and stems are sufficient to cover all I need, though it would be a nice touch if they were configurable... especially the automatic wipers, which are as pants on a Tesla as they are on a BMW.

Is it the best car I've ever owned?
Yes.
It is faster, more comfortable and more efficient than anything I've ever owned. The acceleration is intoxicating and I haven't had a passenger yet that hasn't reacted. My wife and mother hate it, but the kids (and my grown up friends) squeal with delight.

I've owned some nice cars, but this is the first one I've driven that has made me question my ownership of all my previous cars. I simply cannot imagine going back to an internal combustion engine now... they just don't make any sense.
View attachment 479977

I'm just about to hit 10k miles in my Model 3, so thought I'd share my experience and thoughts. I picked up a Model 3 Long Range on 21st August and have used it predominantly traveling to and from work (200 mile round trip) but have also taken it on one or two longer trips.

No.
Build quality isn't as good as it was on my previous German cars and there are a number of annoying cabin rattles, but these are down to the passenger seat-belts when not in use so can be resolved by plugging them all in or through the tactical deployment of felt or rubber bands.

When cornering at speed, the sound of air rushing in to the cabin increases around the drivers window suggesting the car could be more rigid and the sealing could be better. This is only discernible when driving like a hooligan.

No.
Being the long range version, the motors will easily eek out 300 miles of charge when driven sensibly, or 240+ miles when driven spiritedly. This means I have only once completed a journey (400 miles) where I couldn't get to my destination in one go and plug it in.

I find the predicted mileage to be most accurate when the battery is warm, immediately after charging or after 30-40 miles on the road. As a rule of thumb, I deduct 10 miles of range if starting the car on a mild day and 30 miles if starting the car on a cold day if the battery has not preconditioned.

I have generally found the charging network suitable for my needs. There are some cold spots in my routine (such as between Chester and Shrewsbury), but in reality I've only had to use charging stations a handful of times and can plan around those cold-spots.

It is not disingenuous to say that I probably spent longer stood at a fuel pump in my previous BMW to cover 10k miles than I have spent sat at a charging station in my EV. In fact, I find the very notion of standing to fill up a car with fuel hilarious now and cannot imagine going back to that... and handing over £70 each time for the privilege.

I have a 32A Commando charger at home that I installed for <£70. Don't believe the haters, this is a perfectly legit set-up and offers no tangible disadvantages over a more expensive rig. I am fortunate to also have a 32A Rolec charger at the office in Manchester where I do the majority of my charging (it's free!)

Yes.
To do 10k miles in my BMW would have cost me c.£1,600 and worn the rear tyres down to ready to be replaced (I averaged a new set of rear tyres every 12k in my 4-Series and front tyres every 20k).

So far in my Tesla I have spent £112 at Superchargers and £126 in increased electricity usage at home

I've also had a bit of luck on occasion where chargers have been faulty and discharged for free. Imagine going to a petrol forecourt and being given free diesel because the tills were down?

Tyre-wise, I will probably need to replace them in another 10k miles. The tread is ok and consistent across the 4 wheels, presumably due to the clever torque vectoring. The only other thing I've had to put in the car is air for tyres and screen-wash.

No.
Admittedly the air-con takes a little getting used to but I find I can adjust effortlessly now, and I've never struggled to do what I'm trying to do on the touch-screen. The voice control is excellent and covers more functionality than it ever did on my previous car. The steering wheel controls and stems are sufficient to cover all I need, though it would be a nice touch if they were configurable... especially the automatic wipers, which are as pants on a Tesla as they are on a BMW.

Yes.
It is faster, more comfortable and more efficient than anything I've ever owned. The acceleration is intoxicating and I haven't had a passenger yet that hasn't reacted. My wife and mother hate it, but the kids (and my grown up friends) squeal with delight.

I've owned some nice cars, but this is the first one I've driven that has made me question my ownership of all my previous cars. I simply cannot imagine going back to an internal combustion engine now... they just don't make any sense.

View attachment 479977

No.

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Apologies for the previous empty reply. Not sure what I did wrong to cause it.

Excellent review Xopher78.

I took delivery of my M3 LR AWD on 28 November '18, and the odo is at 11,500 mi. My experience and overall feelings about the car are essentially verbatim.

My round trip to the office is considerably less (~30 miles), but we have taken a few long drives and one really long trip this past summer from Portland to Minnesota and back (~4800 miles all told). It was such a fun, positive experience overall, my wife and I can't wait to do it again.

I've had the tires rotated once due to uneven wear between the the front and rear. I attribute this to an abundance of spirited driving, especially when giving rides to every friend, co-worker and relative, that wanted one. I'll probably replace the set mid-next year.

The only complaints that I have are:

1. Minor rattles. My previous vehicle, a Honda, had an annoying rattle in the passenger-dash area that I could never locate, therefore I'm particularly sensitive to these things. The rattle in my M3 seems local to the passenger door internals, or the speaker assembly. The OP mentions the passenger seat belts. That's interesting. I'm going to look them this weekend.

2. The steering column has developed some slight play side-to-side. I believe this is due to how I exit the vehicle. I grab the left side of the wheel when I hoist myself out of the car, and since I weigh just over 200lbs, I'm likely the cause of this over time. It's not a large amount, but enough that I want to have it looked at the next time I visit the SC, which is hopefully not until the 2 year service interval. Maybe it can be adjusted out.

3. I feel a small amount of play forwards/backwards in the driver seat when I accelerate/decelerate. Yup, probably caused by me, inertia, and all. I'll have this checked as well during the next SC visit.

4. I wish the automatic wipers had adjustable sensitivity. It rains A LOT here in Portland, and over the last year the slow response time in auto mode was maddening. I sense gradual improvement (I think) after several OTA updates, but the true test will be another rainy season, which is almost upon us.

Would I buy the car again? Yes. And again, and again.

Now, about that Cybertruck that I can't unsee...

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
A Commando socket is nothing more than a cheap plastic caravan hook-up and can be bought for £25-30. It runs at 32A, 7.4kw so needs installing as though you’re installing an electric shower (10mm twin and earth and it’s own switch in your fuse board). My sparky mate connected my wiring in exchange for a pint.

The universal charger that comes with the car takes care of the rest but you’ll need an adaptor from Tesla.

Nice review of the car, but in the UK the wiring regulations require that any power outlet that is to be used to charge an EV be wired in accordance with BS7671:2018, Section 722.

There's no get-out from this, and there are extremely good safety reasons why EVs (and caravan and boat marina power outlets, for that matter) require additional protection, to ensure that the car body cannot reach an unsafe touch voltage in the event of a fault. The Tesla UMC does not provide this protection, it physically cannot, as it has no way of knowing if there is a PEN fault upstream of the unit.

The reason for the different rules for connecting outdoor installations, like caravan power outlets or EV charge points, is because the risk of exposed metalwork (in this case the car body) rising to a high voltage, relative to the local ground potential, in the event of a supply PEN fault is significantly higher than for any appliance used inside a house.

The risk is much higher than for an electric shower, because when outside a person might reasonably be expected to be connected to what is, in effect, the neutral return path (in the event of a PEN fault) by virtue of their feet being on the ground. This risk doesn't really exist with an electric shower, as the earth bonding will ensure that, even if there is a PEN fault upstream, the user would remain bonded to a local "earth", even though that local "earth" may well be sitting at a high voltage.

• Informative
Reactions: pow216 and pdk42
Minor rattles. The rattle in my M3 seems local to the passenger door internals, or the speaker assembly....

I had a rattle in the door tweeter assembly. If you open the door the speaker assembly can be pulled / levered vertically up. It is only held with two spring clips. My tweeter was loose in the housing, a little folded paper between housing and tweeter fixed the rattle. Then just push the assembly down to refit.

Reactions: voxelman
Thanks! I didn't think about the temp conversion. I meant about -4°C with worst lows in the -25°C range. Good point about widening my net to include Canadians. They get really serious about cold weather up there.

We are in a different range of temperature in the UK to your location. Despite having the coldest winters in the UK here in Scotland we are not really in your league! Yes, every few decades, in the very coldest parts of northern Scotland we have had our record low (I just looked it up) of -27.2°C ... in 1895, 1982 and 1995 ... so that shows how rarely we get into that range! In the Scottish Borders (inland) so far we have touched -6ºC overnight and hovered around freezing during the day but it has now swung back to be well above freezing between 6 and 8ºC (the people who have been talking about cold weather have mostly been referring to that range so it's not like your winter). The Model 3 only arrived in the UK this summer so this is the first "cold" weather season and people are still trying to gauge how it is going to affect range in real life situations.

Reactions: NorfolkMustard
View attachment 479977

No.

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

View attachment 480147 I’ve driven my Model 3 for 20,000 miles. I concur with most of your observations. The fit and finish was exceptional, although I cannot compare it to German made automobiles. Tesla has achieved great success and has inspired an entire automotive industry in producing their own EV lines. I look forward to experiencing all the future brands.
Question: If you had to do it over again would buy a single motor Tesla or a dual motor Tesla? Does the power really make that much difference or would you rather have the 300 mile ranger?

Nice review of the car, but in the UK the wiring regulations require that any power outlet that is to be used to charge an EV be wired in accordance with BS7671:2018, Section 722.

There's no get-out from this, and there are extremely good safety reasons why EVs (and caravan and boat marina power outlets, for that matter) require additional protection, to ensure that the car body cannot reach an unsafe touch voltage in the event of a fault. The Tesla UMC does not provide this protection, it physically cannot, as it has no way of knowing if there is a PEN fault upstream of the unit.

The reason for the different rules for connecting outdoor installations, like caravan power outlets or EV charge points, is because the risk of exposed metalwork (in this case the car body) rising to a high voltage, relative to the local ground potential, in the event of a supply PEN fault is significantly higher than for any appliance used inside a house.

The risk is much higher than for an electric shower, because when outside a person might reasonably be expected to be connected to what is, in effect, the neutral return path (in the event of a PEN fault) by virtue of their feet being on the ground. This risk doesn't really exist with an electric shower, as the earth bonding will ensure that, even if there is a PEN fault upstream, the user would remain bonded to a local "earth", even though that local "earth" may well be sitting at a high voltage.

It's also possible he's got a TT setup (i.e. local earth electrode) so the PEN issue doesn't apply. His sparky friend would know that.

Anyway I had a similar thought about the UMC so I looked at a video teardown of it and it appears the PE is indeed a straight through connection. Not that us mere mortals can do much about it but perhaps a better design would be achieved by the UMC being able to disconnect the PE too? :)

Last edited:

Hmm. I looked at that option - there's plenty on the internet on how to install it - but decided against it. I'm not a sparkie but I do have an electrical engineering background and I think the extra cost of installing a basic Type 2 charge point is unimportant compared with the extra safety it provides. Of course one can argue that the chances of something going wrong are slight. But, for me at least, it also seems a bit foolhardy.

I installed a basic Rolec myself at our house in France. Total cost was around £350. A short run from the consumer unit and the earthing point within 1m. I just had to add an extra double-pole breaker. But I've had an electrician install our external charge point here in the UK which is exposed to the elements. That's because you normally need to add an extra earthing point - a stake in the ground - right by the charge point in such circumstances. I personally don't care about the extra cost which is small beer when compared with the £55k for the car.

There's something else you're potentially missing in using a Commando set-up: the communications between the car and the outlet. When you use a UMC, the comms is only between the car and the UMC. The Commando socket is live at all times. My understanding - but feel free to prove me wrong! - is that an EV charge point doesn't supply any power to its outlet until communications have been established with the car so it's safe against accidental probing when disconnected.

Yes, you can put a switch on your Commando but will you always remember to switch it off? Do you have young kids? Aren't you worried that they might lift the flap on your Commando and poke around inside?

Finally you mention the saving you made installing the 32A Commando but you didn't mention the extra cost of the 32A Commando pigtail UMC adaptor which isn't included in the UMC kit. Did you buy the genuine Tesla one which is quite expensive or one of the compatible ones that cost around £85 from the US?

On a positive note, I really liked your review. Reminded me of when I used to travel to work in Manchester from London - only one return per week though!

Tesla - £32 picked up from SC or £40 delivered.

Oh wow! That's a lot less than I thought I'd seen it.

I've actually made up my own very long schuko/16A Commando lead complete with an optional L-N polarity reversal insert. I hope never to need it but France, for some reason, has chosen to install loads of 3.5/7kW (and occasionally 21kW) AC charge points rather than 50kW DC ones. And you pay by the minute irrespective of how much charge you actually take - except overnight when a fixed tariff often applies.

With Tesla Superchargers also rather sparse in the south of France I wanted to have the option of an overnight top-up capability if we're touring. Not ideal, but potentially useful in bridging the distance between high-speed charge points.

Question: If you had to do it over again would buy a single motor Tesla or a dual motor Tesla? Does the power really make that much difference or would you rather have the 300 mile ranger?
Not sure about other markets but this is the UK/ireland forum. We only have SR+ rear wheel drive, LR AWD and P AWD, so the AWD IS the longest range model. going to rear wheel drive only would mean going down the SR+ with a smaller battery so less range.
There are probably people who would go for RWD LR if it was an option but its not so it's a moot point

View attachment 479977

I picked up my Model 3 three days ago so still discovering new features everyday :) Funny I came across your review (great review!) as tomorrow I'll be doing Wirral -> Shrewsbury! There are a few chargers in Cheshire Oaks - 1 in the outlet itself, 1 in M&S and 1 in the retail park. So I'll see what they're like when I do my shopping later (what an excuse to drive 10 miles to M&S instead of the more local one!). Technically I should be fine though, the whole round trip is only around 100ish miles. But if you're coming from the East along the M56 then stopping by Cheshire Oaks might be an option!