Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up Jan 5. Sport wheels, EAP.

I commute 120 miles (round trip) a few times per week. The time commuting really doesn’t bother me in this car.

I’ve averaged 236 wh/m, tho that’s trending downward. It’s a game. I love trying to beat my best readings on known segments/trips. I’m drive in chill mode nearly all the time. Temps have been around 100f lately and numbers are still great.

I’ve got an an early VIN, so it has the super stiff suspension. Tesla has promised the swap. It’s been 3+ months. I’m starting to think it won’t happen.

Other issues
+ Interior trim on A and C pillars coming lose. Fixed once, needs it again.
+ Hood is sunken. Not sure what, if anything, they plan on doing with this. Now that there are 3s all over the place, I really notice mine. :(
+ Driver side headlight has some strips of LEDs out. Waiting for replacement. (Again, months.) Tired of people pointing it out on my $60k car.
+ EAP is brilliant 99% of the time. But damn, the sudden braking out of nowhere with nothing on the road really kills the usefulness. I do not want to be rear ended, but EAP seems hellbent on making it happen.

Overall I’m thrilled with the car. I know I got an early model, and because of that I need to expect some issues. I just wish they were faster about fixing. My first few issues were fixed pronto. With so many new owners, I guess it’s harder for them to keep up.

Overall I’m thrilled with the car. I know I got an early model, and because of that I need to expect some issues. I just wish they were faster about fixing. My first few issues were fixed pronto. With so many new owners, I guess it’s harder for them to keep up.
I´m seriously amazed again and again how forgiving Tesla owners are. If a brand new 60+k car of any other manufacturer had defects like those you describe most people would demand a buyback...

Reactions: MIT_S60
Is anyone aware of what VIN the suspension changed to being less stiff?
I'm in the 70xx's and would love to get a softer suspension if mine is an early (stiffer) version.
Holding out on trying Elon's solution, which is to take my tires down to 39psi. Prefer to keep my efficiency up (44psi).

I wouldn’t go by VIN as much as build date. The very very early Model 3’s had the stiffer suspension. I think if your Model 3 was built late January 2018 or after it should have the updated suspension. Mine was built in March 2018 (VIN 72XX) and I’ve definitely got it.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
I´m seriously amazed again and again how forgiving Tesla owners are. If a brand new 60+k car of any other manufacturer had defects like those you describe most people would demand a buyback...

Tells you something about how awesome the car is... that’s really all it is. Full stop.

I don’t think that’s fair. A new, from the ground up, car will always have early run issues.

I’ve owned many cars. Many. From a 911 turbo to Volvo’s to VWs to Honda’s. I’ve spent less in 10k miles with this car than any of those.

And it’s an extremely pleasant/entertaining car to drive.

Haters gonna hate

Reactions: tracksyde

We are all early adopters and are willing to put up with issues to push the technology forward. The people you are describing are the late majority that want their car exactly as they expect it to be.

Diffusion of innovations - Wikipedia

Model S and X owners are the innovators. The description of each adopter category is surprising accurate :)

Last edited:
Tells you something about how awesome the car is... that’s really all it is. Full stop.

All the people pushing lemons and buybacks for their Tesla's.. guess what they get. ANOTHER TESLA.

Imagine if Tesla mandated lifetime ban if you threw a legal notice at them. They would bend the knee faster than a Roadster with SpaceX package.

They haven't left production hell yet but are now dealing with delivery hell.

P3 Costa Mesa Delivery - Admirable effort, considering the challenges.

Is anyone aware of what VIN the suspension changed to being less stiff?
I'm in the 70xx's and would love to get a softer suspension if mine is an early (stiffer) version.
Holding out on trying Elon's solution, which is to take my tires down to 39psi. Prefer to keep my efficiency up (44psi).

I believe it was up to December 2017 builds. I had it done on my 2017.

Picked up Jan 5. Sport wheels, EAP.

Picked mine up that same week. Got ya beat on miles though as I have 13k miles. She is going in for her first annual service tomorrow plus smelly AC vents. I only recently noticed my hood was sunken on one side thanks to my husband who pointed it out.

I believe it was up to December 2017 builds. I had it done on my 2017.

Picked mine up that same week. Got ya beat on miles though as I have 13k miles. She is going in for her first annual service tomorrow plus smelly AC vents. I only recently noticed my hood was sunken on one side thanks to my husband who pointed it out.
Is the maintenance cost on the 3 the same as the S?

We are all early adopters and are willing to put up with issues to push the technology forward. The people you are describing are the late majority that want their car exactly as they expect it to be.

Diffusion of innovations - Wikipedia

Model S and X owners are the innovators. The description of each adopter category is surprising accurate :)

I would have been in the innovator category, except I didn't (and still don't) have $80,000+ sitting around to blow on a car. I'd even go so far as to say that I am more technologically adept and able to understand and appreciate the engineering in Teslas than many of these innovators, they just had a bigger bank account.